Anyone work in Sheffield nightclubs?

Back again LyndaM I was best friends with Bobs elder brother Mick we all went to St Silas C of E school together as you well know they lived at the side of the school on Hodgson st also knew sister Susan yes Alan was well mannered but I also saw the other side to his nature on many occasions I can honestly say Alan is the most powerful man I have ever worked with and I have worked with a lot of BIG MEN in my time working the doors I remember Alan working at Shades under the old Greystones picture house on Ecclesall Rd sometime in the 60s Max O owned it at that period in time you just did not get any trouble apart from one evening when a bit of a scuffle broke out on the dance floor Alan stepped in on the two guys pushing and shoving he gave one a Sheffield kiss knocking him out and punching the other knocking him out then got one under each arm and carried them both up the flight of stairs to go outside as he got outside the one he stuck the nut on came round and tried to start on Alan no more to do Alan slid the guy up the wall with his left hand then got hold of his crown jewels with his right hand and STRETCHED him the guy was screaming for mercy but as you know Alan was deaf the poor guys legs were twitching and Alan was laughing and I can assure that this is a TRUE story :gag: .

Hi Jack

If you knew Mike, Bob & Susan, then you must have known Wendy. She was the youngest and started work at Rank same time I did. They still live in Sheffield but I moved away many years ago. Still get together every now and then and catch up on old times. I can well believe the story about Alan. I think everybody who ever met him will have a similar tale to tell.

I remember Alan, I always found him a bit scary, his deafness sometimes lead him to make bad judgements. I remember him getting a bit shirty with some London lads, for no apparent reason. Turned out they were armed flying squad and looking for an armed criminal on the run from Sheffield. He was lucky to get away with that. I wonder if he ever realized how much trouble he was close to getting in.

In his Josephines days we used to call him The Wedge on account of his physique. He wasn't very tall but had a torso like an inverted triangle. Very powerful as has been said.