Is Turkey heading towards becoming an Islamic state?

Is the UK secular? Why do we have Bishops in the House of Lords just because they are Bishops..? Genuine question.......

The UK is not secular.

---------- Post added 04-06-2013 at 16:10 ----------

Only in Alsace-Moselle.

Anywhere else in France, religious leaders/people/etc. are not considered civil servants at all, nor paid nor subsidised by the state in any way or form.

That's kinda my point. Its not black and white, but Turkey is considered a secular state, albeit a complex one.

The UK is not secular.

---------- Post added 04-06-2013 at 16:10 ----------

That's kinda my point. Its not black and white, but Turkey is considered a secular state, albeit a complex one.

both the UK and Turkey are secular in overall character but the present Turkish government at the moment is certainly less secular than not only the UK, but also previous Turkish governments - unless you would want to argue that the Tory party is still the 'Church of England at prayer' which surely very few people would these days. The Justice and Development Party headed by Erdogan that has been governing the country for over a decade has its roots in Islamist groups like the 'Virtue Party' which was banned for violating Turkey's secular constitution.

No. We have religious freedom but are not secular. The state and the church are very much one.

Don't you mean the church and monarchy. The state is totally independent of religion and we have MPs from numerous religions in Westminster.

Don't you mean the church and monarchy. The state is totally independent of religion and we have MPs from numerous religions in Westminster.

Why do we have bishops in the House of Lords...

Why do we have bishops in the House of Lords...

They have them in churches too. But that doesn't mean they have any more influence than Lord Ahmed.

Don't you mean the church and monarchy.

No. If I meant that I'd've written it.

We're not secular. Church, law and state combine in one person - Lizzie II. We have unelected Bishops in the House of Lords. The Act of Settlement actively stops Catholicism and forces the monarch to be a Protestant.

We are not secular. We have no written constitution protecting religious freedom. That power comes to us from European law.

No. If I meant that I'd've written it.

We're not secular. Church, law and state combine in one person - Lizzie II. We have unelected Bishops in the House of Lords. The Act of Settlement actively stops Catholicism and forces the monarch to be a Protestant.

We are not secular. We have no written constitution protecting religious freedom. That power comes to us from European law.

What utter cobblers. We have enjoyed religious freedom from way before the EU or European Law was thought of. The fact that our monarch is head of the Church of England ceased to be relevant when the monarchy was reduced to mostly symbolic role. Have you not noticed our monarch does not make law. That is done by the House of Commons? Just what part of religious freedom do you consider that you don't have?

There is not one aspect of our lives that is dictated to us by the Church of England. That is fundamentally different from any non secular Muslim country where choosing to change your faith can invoke the death penalty.

Edited by Old Tom

Islam along with all the other cults needs to be swept away from all our lives.

Voluntarily one hopes.

Even Stalin couldn't manage to get the Russian people to follow the official state policy of atheism.

Even as an atheist I don't think I'd want to live in a country where freedom of religious worship was denied.

Voluntarily one hopes.

Even Stalin couldn't manage to get the Russian people to follow the official state policy of atheism.

Even as an atheist I don't think I'd want to live in a country where freedom of religious worship was denied.

I think in most Islamic states you are free to worship who you like, although they have the freedom to stone you to death if that isn't Islam.

What utter cobblers.

Which bit of what I said is false. Specifically?

Britain has become a de facto secular country. It is not necessary to banish all Christian symbolism, in a reactionary way like France or Turkey did in their revolutions, in order to become secular. Secularism can evolve anyway and that is what has happened in Britain. There being a monarch who is also head of a particular faith is a red herring.

They have them in churches too. But that doesn't mean they have any more influence than Lord Ahmed.

But if we are supposed to be a secular state as some on here say then why should religious leaders have any say in our government?

---------- Post added 06-06-2013 at 10:02 ----------

There is not one aspect of our lives that is dictated to us by the Church of England.

The laws passed by the commons have to be approved by the Lords...where there are religious leaders (Bishops)...so the Church can influence our lives...