Help please housing benefit/council tax support

i have recently taken in a lodger. never done this before.

ive been told that i need a tenancy agreement for him. im not sure how to get one or what to put in it. i dont want this to effect my benefits as its hard enough at the moment. want to sort it out as quickly as possible as rent arrears is now mounting up. can anyone please point me in the right direction? i have tried to ask them by telephoning them, after 40 mins of being on hold they wasnt very helpful.

A sign of the times afraid, everything has to be done online now despite the fact that telephone numbers are available.

It all depends on whether your lodger is working or not, if not you need to write a letter for them to take to the DWP stating how much rent they are paying and what for i.e. bed-and-breakfast, full board. Your lodger will then have several hoops to jump through, form filling etc.

It's some time ago now since I let property, but WH Smith used to sell a catchall tenancy agreement, they also used to sell rent books not sure if they still do.

I really don't think you need a tenancy agreement for a lodger, but someone on here would put you right.

thanks for your reply. the housing benefit and council tax support says the lodger must have a tenancy agreement.

it seems to be a load of fuss. wish i never started it.

You need to be careful as the money earned from the lodger will be classed as income and will affect your benefit payments

You need to be careful as the money earned from the lodger will be classed as income and will affect your benefit payments
not if he only declares a minimal amount to cover the bedroom tax :suspect::hihi:

thanks for your reply. the housing benefit and council tax support says the lodger must have a tenancy agreement.

it seems to be a load of fuss. wish i never started it.

They've advised you incorrectly as no rules exist that compel you to provide a tenancy agreement for a HB claim.

They have to satisfy themselves that a liability to pay rent exists, if this is in the form of a verbal agreement then they should process the claim.

Am I correct in assuming that this is in relation to a claim from the lodger, as it could be the case that this will affect your Housing Benefit as pointed out by the previous poster.

not if he only declares a minimal amount to cover the bedroom tax :suspect::hihi:

That would be illegal and fraudulent - could lead to a court case

i have recently taken in a lodger. never done this before.

ive been told that i need a tenancy agreement for him. im not sure how to get one or what to put in it. i dont want this to effect my benefits as its hard enough at the moment. want to sort it out as quickly as possible as rent arrears is now mounting up. can anyone please point me in the right direction? i have tried to ask them by telephoning them, after 40 mins of being on hold they wasnt very helpful.

Here's some further information from a different authority who are correct in their analysis.

http://www.basingstoke.gov.uk/browse/housing/housing-advice/private-rented.htm

They've advised you incorrectly as no rules exist that compel you to provide a tenancy agreement for a HB claim.

They have to satisfy themselves that a liability to pay rent exists, if this is in the form of a verbal agreement then they should process the claim.

Am I correct in assuming that this is in relation to a claim from the lodger, as it could be the case that this will affect your Housing Benefit as pointed out by the previous poster.

no this is my claim for benefits. i have my friend come to live with me due to bedroom tax. i provide some care for him as he has mobility issues. the agreement is that he pays the non dependant charge.

---------- Post added 01-06-2013 at 10:48 ----------

eh? how can a lodger that pays minimal costs to cover non-dependant charge make the situation illegal and fraudulent?

---------- Post added 01-06-2013 at 10:49 ----------

i am liable for all costs of the rent as i rent the property solely.

whos to know :loopy:

I had a lodger years ago, and charged £65.00 per week bed and breakfast only, it did not affect my benefit as they regarded the money I had coming in was equal to or less than the money the lodger was costing me. The council charged me £5.00 a week for the extra person living in the house, but re-paid it all when they realised the person concerned was NOT A RELATIVE (some £900.00 if I remember correctly)

I had a visit from the council to explain the in's and out's of the "Bedroom tax" It was her suggestion that I take in a Lodger, so the council are not adverse to the situation (I'm still thinking about it BUT.....1 - don't need the money, 2 - need the aggro)

Interested to know how you got your lodger. Iv been advertising on various websites for a lodger/Houseshare. It would seem my area is deemed too far away from university/hospitals to be a viable option.