Who should teach todays kids manners.

Parents are at fault here. Too busy playing with their mobile phones to raise their kids properly.

It's all about "street cred" these days.

Parents may well instill good manners when they are with them, but once out with their mates .......

It's a different world now to the one we were brought up in.

I get the street cred bit with teens when they are with their mates. However, even very young children are placed in individual seats by their parents, and don't move/aren't moved when its obvious an older person could benefit from sitting down. I travel by tram and bus quite a lot, and witness some really selfish behaviour.

No good asking parents to teach manners as most of them dont have any themselfs

No good asking parents to teach manners as most of them dont have any themselfs

Excuse me speak for yourself .I for one have instilled good manners in my child and I`m sure many other`s have .............x

Edited by sand_dollars

Excuse me speak for yourself .I for one have instilled good manners in my child and I`m sure many other`s have .............x

Just go into town and see how many good manner person in sheffield

Just go into town and see how many good manner person in sheffield

I don`t need to go down town if you read what I said ,I said most parents instill good manners ................Sometimes it`s the old sayin you can lead a horse to water but you can`t make it drink............x

Many of the young people look as if they have lacked support, supervision and been deprived of parental care during their childhood.

My parents always taught me that good manners cost nothing. I have no hesitation in offering my seat to a person more needy of it. I say please, thank you, and hold doors open for other people, young and old (rarely receive a Thank You)

As for Street-cred, no, it is not for the likes of myself.

Edited by clarissa
Typo

I get the street cred bit with teens when they are with their mates. However, even very young children are placed in individual seats by their parents, and don't move/aren't moved when its obvious an older person could benefit from sitting down. I travel by tram and bus quite a lot, and witness some really selfish behaviour.

I don't get the street cred bit, I was a teenager or up to recently when I became too ill to do so,but always gave my seat up to anyone less able, or pregnant, I get offered seats on buses and I'm really appreciative, I was brought up in a different era, bit like you Mrs MacBeth & the OP (though not as old), parents now bring up kids that in the main are pig ignorant.

The most annoying thing is the chavs who get on the bus with the kids, park the pram and then sit the kids in a seat FGS. It's about time also that the drivers tell the person that the seat they are in is for less able to stand, but they don't some chav gets on with a pram & it's "oh you'll have to move".

I was on the 52 about 3 or so years ago, and it was full a lass got on with a pram & started there's no room for my pram, where do I put my pram & kid. This wound me up no end so I just said, "do like we had to you idle cow, fold the pram up & carry the kid".

Edited by Bypassblade

I don't get the street cred bit, I was a teenager or up to recently when I became too ill to do so,but always gave my seat up to anyone less able, or pregnant, I get offered seats on buses and I'm really appreciative, I was brought up in a different era, bit like you Mrs MacBeth & the OP (though not as old), parents now bring up kids that in the main are pig ignorant.

The most annoying thing is the chavs who get on the bus with the kids, park the pram and then sit the kids in a seat FGS. It's about time also that the drivers tell the person that the seat they are in is for less able to stand, but they don't some chav gets on with a pram & it's "oh you'll have to move".

I was on the 52 about 3 or so years ago, and it was full a lass got on with a pram & started there's no room for my pram, where do I put my pram & kid. This wound me up no end so I just said, "do like we had to you idle cow, fold the pram up & carry the kid".

I see this regularly. Recently on the tram, there was a guy with two children and a buggy. They sat on the fold down seats opposite where the buggy (empty) was parked. I had my small granddaughter, in her buggy, parked next to the empty one, but had to stand. If one of his children had been in the buggy, or even on his knee I could have sat down. Fortunately I'm fairly healthy, so I can stand, but I doubt they'd have moved even if I looked like I was about to fall over.:roll:

NB: I still stand up for the really elderly, someone who is visibly pregnant, or someone with crutches or a stick - even if they happen to be young.

PARENTS obviously

i always tell my kids to move if the seats needed by a wheelchair user, pram user or oap

if they have moved and others is needed then i move

Are these the same parents that spend all their dole money on booze, fags and subscription TV because if there are, those parents wouldn't know manners if they hit them between the eyes .... etc

Are these the same parents that spend all their dole money on booze, fags and subscription TV because if there are, those parents wouldn't know manners if they hit them between the eyes .... etc

Not all parents on benefits spend there money on the things you elude to them doing, some actually do struggle from day to day just to live.

---------- Post added 01-06-2013 at 18:32 ----------

I see this regularly. Recently on the tram, there was a guy with two children and a buggy. They sat on the fold down seats opposite where the buggy (empty) was parked. I had my small granddaughter, in her buggy, parked next to the empty one, but had to stand. If one of his children had been in the buggy, or even on his knee I could have sat down. Fortunately I'm fairly healthy, so I can stand, but I doubt they'd have moved even if I looked like I was about to fall over.:roll:

NB: I still stand up for the really elderly, someone who is visibly pregnant, or someone with crutches or a stick - even if they happen to be young.

Mrs M that is extremely commendable of you, as you sound the sort of older person that need a seat (not being facetious), I just think older people deserve respect and giving them a seat is just a nice way of showing it.

I always remember from being about 3 if I was on bus with my mum and sat on seat and an adult got on, I mean any adult, my mum (bless her) would either tell me to stand at side of her, or if I wanted sit on her lap. Both my wife and me instilled this into our kids and now they are grown, they instill good manners into their children.

I'm sad to say that I sit down and now my health means that I am unable to give it to to other needy people, as mine is as great and in some cases greater.

This question is wrong.

Parents should teach children manners but I can't see it happening any time soon. I was in a supermarket today and I witnessed a mother bellowing at her child and telling them in no uncertain terms what fate would befall them if they "Didn't stop waving they fookin biscuits about". People should actually take responsibility for their offspring rather than laying the blame at the door of child minders or teachers.

You cannot sub contract the responsibility for your child. Your filthy rutting spawned the wee mite so you need to step up and actually raise your child like a reasonable and decent human rather than a foul and socially retarded troglodyte,