Sheffield Atheist Association

you lot already spout incessantly against people who are doing you no harm whatsoever. You're something like those bullies there used to be when you were in school, except you're supposed to be grown up now. Live and let live.

Trying hard not to get into a habit of "feeding the troll" here, but isn't that really what you're doing (the bolded part of your comment) with your post here? If that's not your intention it certainly sounds like it.

Trying hard not to get into a habit of "feeding the troll" here, but isn't that really what you're doing (the bolded part of your comment) with your post here? If that's not your intention it certainly sounds like it.
No, my intention is to ask you why anyone needs to organize atheists or religionists either. People believe or they don't, they smoke or they don't, laugh if they want to cry if they don't. Why does anyone need to be in some kind of club to do it. Nothing wrong with an MG club or a Harley gang for that matter. Tell me what you will do with this club? Try to get people out of going to church? Good luck with that one. Nobody goes to church in UK anyway. Atheism ought to be a passive thing, not militant. Atheists are free of the guilt trip many faithful feel. I'm not sure what I am. I'd like to think there is an afterlife but I'm not sure, not as sure as you are that there isn't, but you have no proof either, that's why its called the ultimate mystery. Don't tell me I'm stupid, Einstein wasn't, neither was Mother Teresa. By the way, I don't troll, not agreeing with the mob is not trolling.

No, my intention is to ask you why anyone needs to organize atheists or religionists either. People believe or they don't, they smoke or they don't, laugh if they want to cry if they don't. Why does anyone need to be in some kind of club to do it. Nothing wrong with an MG club or a Harley gang for that matter. Tell me what you will do with this club? Try to get people out of going to church? Good luck with that one. Nobody goes to church in UK anyway. Atheism ought to be a passive thing, not militant. Atheists are free of the guilt trip many faithful feel. I'm not sure what I am. I'd like to think there is an afterlife but I'm not sure, not as sure as you are that there isn't, but you have no proof either, that's why its called the ultimate mystery. Don't tell me I'm stupid, Einstein wasn't, neither was Mother Teresa. By the way, I don't troll, not agreeing with the mob is not trolling.

Fine, but as I haven't been involved in this yet, I am only going on the link that the OP provided (it says I can't post webllinks here yet due to not having posted enough): "I'm an atheist so going to a normal church is right out. I am, however, a bit jealous of all that community stuff that happens at churches." This is the part that registered with me the most. I would never bring myself to join an actual church due to my beliefs - it would put me in a position of preteding to be someone I'm not. Even with the Unitarians (who I understand welcome everyone) here in Sheffield because the focus still sounds too focused on religious worship based on my research into it. But there is still an important role that religion has often played in community spirit and social cohesion. There have been several of these atheist "churches" already started up in various places - I remember seeing a spot on BBC news about one starting up in London earlier this year and thinking it was a good idea.

Also, what has even been mentioned here that sounds "militant". Nobody appears to be bashing the religious or spouting hatred. That is why your post appears like that of a troll - you don't appear to have read what was said in the initial links, and you seem to be making assumption based on what you have inferred from your own understanding of non-believers rather than what has been said.

I hereby declare my interest in this initiative, albeit that I cannot attend your meeting, as I am in the process of moving house and need the weekend for cleaning and packing. But I am highly sympathetic towards the cause, and you can feel free to contact me later sometime, by dint of this forum.

I am registered with Atheist Nexus, but have not posted anything on there in years, as I, plainly, could not be bothered. Forsooth, despite its pretences, we cannot deny that religion is bad for humanity and has been dealt with far too leniently. It continues to nonplus me how one is expected to show ‘respect’ to people merely because they’ve got imaginary friends. Tolerance: by all means. Respect? I fear there is a little something that must be earned.

Can someone explain to me what the point is all about. Is it to show the religious that you're just as organized as they are? Or is it to just to go out and booze up with a bit of a giggle about sky fairies or whatever you lot already spout incessantly against people who are doing you no harm whatsoever. You're something like those bullies there used to be when you were in school, except you're supposed to be grown up now. Live and let live.

No harm whatsoever? The catholic hierarchy is refusing to provide information to authorities about abusers and is trying to delay cases and even trying to go bankrupt in places to avoid paying compensation to victims.

My children still have to attend an act of worship in school.

It's still acceptable to send children to places like Madrassas and faith schools in Northern Ireland where they are brainwashed in to sectarianism.

Bishops and Cardinals want to derail the Gay Marriage bill because of their ridiculous beliefs despite half the church being Gay.

If Christians still could, they would dictate policy and 'remove' dissidents like they used to. Look at Islam for a model of Theocracy.

No harm? It's only because we organise that sense can prevail.

I'm also having trouble find a suitable hymn substitute.

Try these...

Oh, and a joke...

The budhist was ordering a Domino pizza. When asked what type, he replied, "Make me one with everything." :hihi:

There's more...

When the delivery boy was walking off with a £20 note, he shouted, "Hey! What about my change?"

The delivery boy replied, "Change can only come from within!" Ba-dum-tish!

:huh: But you're not Einstien, or mother Theresa. A bit girly maybe though.

And it is trolling when you term a few non believers getting together as the "mob".

Edited by ronthenekred

No, my intention is to ask you why anyone needs to organize atheists or religionists either.

Haven't you ever been a member of a club or organisation where like-minded people can meet-up and share their interests, hobbies, gossip, help each other and others, etc?

I don't really see a problem with SAA if it's anything like the above. That said though, if it's fashioned around the church with rituals, hymns, sermons, etc, it would definitely not be my cup of tea. I'd much prefer a relaxed group where you can pop-in, have a pint or cuppa, chat, organise charity events and day trips out.

Atheism ought to be a passive thing, not militant.

Totally agree. Unfortunately though, not all theists are passive. Sometimes you have to organise - and work with like-minded theists - to stand against that.

Can't make it, but it sounds interesting, and the logo is good :)

That said though, if it's fashioned around the church with rituals, hymns, sermons, etc, it would definitely not be my cup of tea. I'd much prefer a relaxed group where you can pop-in, have a pint or cuppa, chat, organise charity events and day trips out.

I really agree with you to some degree, but not being one of the organisers, I'm guessing this might just be due to it starting up and wanting to provide a bit of structure to start it off. Like the OP said: "It's still in the early days, there are some general aims but as a grass roots, non-hierarchical, member driven organisation we see the aims growing/ changing according to the wishes of the people involved." Another point that is selling me on the idea.

Thanks for the comments above.

Just for the record I want this to be not the endless religion bashing, I do that enough, but to do something more positive and social.

Churches do have good bits to them. I want to remove the hypnotisim, the God myths and the exploitation. I want to do the community stuff. One of my "tenants" is that if there is ever more than £50 in the kitty we have gone wrong.

The pub has been good enough to let us have the upstairs room for free, they are anticipating selling a few drinks, coffee, tea, orange juice etc. So don't expect any collection plate. If you want a religion to make money out of go to Sciencetology.

The verylimited website is at

http://sheffieldatheistassociation.webstarts.com/index.html?r=20130428135602

I'm affraid that you seem to need all of that to find it. The post of electronic communications director is very open. Please help. :)

This certainly does sound interesting and something I would like to be part of. I certainly expect to be there on Sunday:banana:

I may even be able to supply jokes, but I can assure you now.... they will be terrible :D

Hi SpockOddSock, I liked all your comments and look forward to meeting you tomorrow :)

I hereby declare my interest in this initiative, albeit that I cannot attend your meeting, as I am in the process of moving house and need the weekend for cleaning and packing. But I am highly sympathetic towards the cause, and you can feel free to contact me later sometime, by dint of this forum.

I am registered with Atheist Nexus, but have not posted anything on there in years, as I, plainly, could not be bothered. Forsooth, despite its pretences, we cannot deny that religion is bad for humanity and has been dealt with far too leniently. It continues to nonplus me how one is expected to show ‘respect’ to people merely because they’ve got imaginary friends. Tolerance: by all means. Respect? I fear there is a little something that must be earned.

Hi Eccentric, if you can't make tomorrow there will be another meeting next month so hope to see you then, good luck with the move!

Haven't you ever been a member of a club or organisation where like-minded people can meet-up and share their interests, hobbies, gossip, help each other and others, etc?

I don't really see a problem with SAA if it's anything like the above. That said though, if it's fashioned around the church with rituals, hymns, sermons, etc, it would definitely not be my cup of tea. I'd much prefer a relaxed group where you can pop-in, have a pint or cuppa, chat, organise charity events and day trips out.

Totally agree. Unfortunately though, not all theists are passive. Sometimes you have to organise - and work with like-minded theists - to stand against that.

Hi Ryedo, there won't be any rituals, the incense will only be burning if the toilets are blocked hehe. The idea is only to use the bits from church that suit us as atheists- the bits that encourage a sense of community- the bits that empower us. I hope to see you at one of the meets as we've had some good discussions recently. As I've suggested anyone who gets involved will have the ability to help shape how the SAA moves forward.

Can't make it, but it sounds interesting, and the logo is good :)

I'll let you know when the next one is Chem1st, hope you can make that, would be good to catch up with you and get the benefit of your thoughts and ideas moving ahead.