Sheffield Atheist Association

:huh: But you're not Einstien, or mother Theresa. A bit girly maybe though.

And it is trolling when you term a few non believers getting together as the "mob".

This "girly" served his country honorably for close on 18 years keeping you and your ilk safe at home, leaving a wife and child at home while at sea. You are fortunate indeed that you did not serve on any ship I was a Chief Petty Officer on. Keep the stupid insults to yourself.:rant: You make a poor servant of your cause. Edited by buck

Thank god for the Sheffield Atheist Association, sounds great .

How do you spot an atheist ????

You don't have to, they will come over to you and bore you to death..........:rolleyes:

You don't have to, they will come over to you and bore you to death..........:rolleyes:

I am a convinced atheist — as opposed to an ‘agnostic’ or shilly-shallier — and aye, I can bore people to death with various kinds of ramblings about science, history and culture. Yet when talking to religious people, I somehow can never escape the impression that they are wasting their time on unnecessary hypotheses, which, as the monk Anselmus of Canterbury said, are to be eschewed when seeking truth.

At the same time, it amuses me to see how innumerable are the scores of people who donate their hard-earned cash to imaginary entities. There are many people who, whenever their brain senses that there are gods, messiahs, prophets or magic elephants, readily hand out their earnings to these parasitic institutions. I think the problem is basically that people lack the rational schooling to enable them to perceive that their brains and the world as they experience it are identical. Hence, they simply have not got the requisite ability to understand the logical contradiction of an entity being inside the brain and concomitantly having created it.

It follows that one should never debate religious persons, as this creates the erroneous impression that their lucubrations are somehow upon an equal footing with reason, which they can never be: you either know how to reason or you do not. All religions are therefore by definition considerably inferior to a rational atheism.

And on a more mundane note: guilt is unnecessary and pointless. An it harm none, screw as ye please.

You have to die to get to heaven (...if there is one), so they are just being helpful.

You do believe in heaven et al, don't you? Otherwise, you are a boring atheist yourself.

---------- Post added 09-08-2013 at 11:29 ----------

nobody announces god more than an atheist:hihi:

Which atheist would that be? I never heard anybody, let alone one specific atheist "announce god" (mainly because I have no idea what it means). Would you care to elucidate?

Which atheist would that be? I never heard anybody, let alone one specific atheist "announce god" (mainly because I have no idea what it means). Would you care to elucidate?

I'm not sure who the quote is, but as I see it, it means that if god did not exist, it would be self evident enough not to require people going around claiming the same to be true.

We don't get (many) people proselytizing about the lack of [insert unlikely thing here], why do we get atheists?

I'm not sure who the quote is, but as I see it, it means that if god did not exist, it would be self evident enough not to require people going around claiming the same to be true.

Why pick on atheists then? They don't do that. They lack belief in god is all.

We don't get (many) people proselytizing about the lack of [insert unlikely thing here], why do we get atheists?

Not entirely sure what you mean by that. Are you suggesting that atheists should STFU?

... but as I see it, it means that if god did not exist, it would be self evident enough not to require people going around claiming the same to be true.

If god did exist, it would be self-evident enough to not require people to go around saying god exists.

If the belief in the existence of bigfoot or the lockness monster was more widespread - and those holding those beliefs influenced politics and education in a way that made those who don't hold those beliefs second class citizens - there would probably be more abigfootists and alockness-monsterists.

If god did exist, it would be self-evident enough to not require people to go around saying god exists.

absolutely.

And there you have it.

I am a convinced atheist — as opposed to an ‘agnostic’ or shilly-shallier — and aye, I can bore people to death with various kinds of ramblings about science, history and culture. Yet when talking to religious people, I somehow can never escape the impression that they are wasting their time on unnecessary hypotheses, which, as the monk Anselmus of Canterbury said, are to be eschewed when seeking truth.

At the same time, it amuses me to see how innumerable are the scores of people who donate their hard-earned cash to imaginary entities. There are many people who, whenever their brain senses that there are gods, messiahs, prophets or magic elephants, readily hand out their earnings to these parasitic institutions. I think the problem is basically that people lack the rational schooling to enable them to perceive that their brains and the world as they experience it are identical. Hence, they simply have not got the requisite ability to understand the logical contradiction of an entity being inside the brain and concomitantly having created it.

It follows that one should never debate religious persons, as this creates the erroneous impression that their lucubrations are somehow upon an equal footing with reason, which they can never be: you either know how to reason or you do not. All religions are therefore by definition considerably inferior to a rational atheism.

And on a more mundane note: guilt is unnecessary and pointless. An it harm none, screw as ye please.

You would send a glass eye to sleep..................

As I said, Atheists bore you to death.