Sheffield Atheist Association

The newly formed Sheffield Atheist Association will be holding its first meeting on:

Sunday 23rd June at 12.15pm in the 'Red Deer' pub-

http://www.red-deer-sheffield.co.uk/

The meetings will comprise of talks, group discussion, music and some jokes...if anyone can think of any, aimed at creating a community of atheists in Sheffield.

It's still in the early days, there are some general aims but as a grass roots, non-hierarchical, member driven organisation we see the aims growing/ changing according to the wishes of the people involved.

The current aims are:

- to develop a sense of community spirit within the association, including participating in local volunteer and charity work either regularly or as needs arise (eg events such as the 2007 Sheffield floods).

- to encourage education in science and philosophy, which will be the main basis of the talks during the meetings.

- to be politically active in the interests of our members (writing to MP's etc) where we feel it is necessary.

- to provide a welcoming and informed space for people who are having a crisis of religious faith and are seeking answers to the difficult questions they are facing.

Everybody is welcome to come and listen to the talks, to participate in a useful way to group discussion and to get involved with the organising.

We have a basic website here:

http://sheffieldatheistassociation.webstarts.com/index.html?r=20130428135602

Feel free to pm me if you want more details.

Hope to see you there!

I'll be there and I'd put the aims I have in a less interlectual way, read into that what you will, as;

1 Doing the stuff that they do in churches without the God stuff.

2 Having an enjoyable community get together.

3 Making sure that anyone who turns up is included and is part of the general chater at the end.

4 Doing some charity stuff in the future....

:)

Sounds interesting. I hope to be there.

How will I know you; do you have a separate room or should I just ask the barstaff to point you out?

We will be upstairs in the Red Deer.

The bar staff will know but I am expecting that we will probably have the place fairly much to ourselves at midday on Sunday.

I look forward to seeing you.

Ah, thanks. I know it well. I was there on Tuesday for the Sheff. Humanist Committee meeting (...of which I am a member; I didn't just gatecrash! :hihi: ).

This certainly does sound interesting and something I would like to be part of. I certainly expect to be there on Sunday:banana:

I may even be able to supply jokes, but I can assure you now.... they will be terrible :D

This certainly does sound interesting and something I would like to be part of. I certainly expect to be there on Sunday:banana:

I may even be able to supply jokes, but I can assure you now.... they will be terrible :D

Welcome to (posting on) the forum; I see you've been lurking awhile.

I'll let you buy me a pint. :cool:;)

Hey, I'm trying to write the first speach/srmon/thingy now. ANY jokes would be greatly appreciated!!!!

I am very pleased to see that I will not be speaking to a room of empty seats:). And scared! :help:

Hey, I'm trying to write the first speach/srmon/thingy now. ANY jokes would be greatly appreciated!!!!

I seem to be drawing a bit of blank for anything relevent right now, though I do have a suggestion for a possible bit of humour to start off with. I'll send you a PM if I can after a few more posts (apparently I need to have at least 5).

---------- Post added 21-06-2013 at 17:38 ----------

I am very pleased to see that I will not be speaking to a room of empty seats:). And scared! :help:

Perhaps we should all wear guy fawkes masks to put you at ease a little :lol:

---------- Post added 21-06-2013 at 17:40 ----------

Welcome to (posting on) the forum; I see you've been lurking awhile.

I'll let you buy me a pint. :cool:;)

Thank you. That is very generous :D

Yeah, I only usually browse topics.

I'm also having trouble find a suitable hymn substitute.

Any ideas?

It's got to be singable by at least one extremely bad singer (me).

I'm also having trouble find a suitable hymn substitute.

Any ideas?

It's got to be singable by at least one extremely bad singer (me).

"Imagine" by Jon Lennon is the only thing that immediately springs to mind, but it does seem a bit of a cliché.

Edited by SpockOddSock

Can someone explain to me what the point is all about. Is it to show the religious that you're just as organized as they are? Or is it to just to go out and booze up with a bit of a giggle about sky fairies or whatever you lot already spout incessantly against people who are doing you no harm whatsoever. You're something like those bullies there used to be when you were in school, except you're supposed to be grown up now. Live and let live.