You try and work after a few nights of not sleeping, they are just driving up and down the road for the sake of it at the moment :(
Yes dear, of course they are. They are just doing it to annoy the residents. It's the main, nay, the only reason they've turned up tonight. They won't be doing a stroke of work because the private sector just loves to pay it's workforce to do nothing for 8 or more hours. Just like the workers prefer not being at home of an evening with their families.

Or you haven't got a clue what they are actually doing.

Which do you think it is? Be honest now...

So 10-12 nights in 25 years - meh. Or they could not fix the roads and footways that you walk on and presumably you'd continue to not give a damn. Are you certain you'd like to walk on a footway that's falls to bits over the next 25 years? Really?

---------- Post added 05-06-2013 at 21:17 ----------

The council aren't generally paying for the work, it's coming out of the PFI pot. And if you think Amey will be paying double time for night work, you aren't living on the same planet I am.

It's not a big thing to ask that roadworks, construction projects and major infrastructure works are done during the hours stipulated by the council's own rules and by the Environmental Health authority. They are the rules after all.

The council rules and the environmental health rules stipulate daytime hours (until about 9.30) unless there are special circumstances, whereupon residents are meant to be forewarned of any disruption.

No work has been going on today, throughout the whole day, rush hours notwithstanding, but now it is 9pm and the sound and vibration of the approaching diggers can be felt.

The cynic in me thinks that working nights entails overtime which means more money paid out by the council. I would have thought that those who are usually most vocal about profligate public spending would also question why work is going on at night (double bubble) rather than between 10am and 4pm.

Pretty sure SCC will have agreed to the working hours, if not, and Amey are working outside the agreed permitted hours, they'll be facing hefty financial penalties.

It's a fixed price contract, so Amey paying overtime has no impact on SCC, unless it's something not within the remit of the contract and specifically requested by SCC.

last sunday morning ( at double time, I asked ) it took four of them, four hours to replace 11 bricks in the crossing by the train station. There was lots of standing around doing nothing at all, and I reckon I could have done the job alone within an hour. All this while creating a traffic problem by narrowing the road to one lane. Work farce is spot on !!

Any sign of those promised jointers? The streetlights that went up by ours in February are still not wired up so the pavements still full of massive holes.

Mystery one,take it from me those who told you they were on double time are taking the p@@s they aren't!

The weather over the past couple of days means it's not feasible to lay a new course of tarmac. It needs to be fairly dry conditions for it to set adequately.

They are doing a great job, why don't you moaning old buggers go for a nice walk and get some fresh air. All that daytime television is doing you no good.

Finally a realistic resident, good shout, jabronni to be considered in the local elections. I too think they have a massive task and could benefit from support from the people of sheffield. After all its you who turn most of our roads, footpaths, verges etc into such a poor state. I'm happy to get the investment. Stop bloody winging

---------- Post added 05-06-2013 at 22:37 ----------

It's not a big thing to ask that roadworks, construction projects and major infrastructure works are done during the hours stipulated by the council's own rules and by the Environmental Health authority. They are the rules after all.

Hi, I would like to clear up the process for you.

In local government the contractor in this case amey has to produce a proposal of closures based on their clients in this case scc guidelines. This is then submitted to scc for consideration. Ultimately scc will make the decision NOT amey. Everyone on here seems to be slating the principal contractor. Think about it.

---------- Post added 05-06-2013 at 22:38 ----------

Pretty sure SCC will have agreed to the working hours, if not, and Amey are working outside the agreed permitted hours, they'll be facing hefty financial penalties.

It's a fixed price contract, so Amey paying overtime has no impact on SCC, unless it's something not within the remit of the contract and specifically requested by SCC.

Correct rude boy you obviously know your stuff.

---------- Post added 05-06-2013 at 22:39 ----------

Yes dear, of course they are. They are just doing it to annoy the residents. It's the main, nay, the only reason they've turned up tonight. They won't be doing a stroke of work because the private sector just loves to pay it's workforce to do nothing for 8 or more hours. Just like the workers prefer not being at home of an evening with their families.

Good post well said

too many people posting facts in this thread

I look forward to the day that the people moaning about being inconvenienced come up with their great invention that will repair roads without disturbing anyone.

bloody Labour/Lib Dems / Government / SCC / Amey / Kier / StreetForce / First / Mainline / SYT

seriously we have umpteen threads about the state of the roads and now they're being done we are going to have to endure umpteen threads from people with no clue how these things work with their ideas as to how they could do it faster better cheaper.

too many people posting facts in this thread

I look forward to the day that the people moaning about being inconvenienced come up with their great invention that will repair roads without disturbing anyone.

bloody Labour/Lib Dems / Government / SCC / Amey / Kier / StreetForce / First / Mainline / SYT

seriously we have umpteen threads about the state of the roads and now they're being done we are going to have to endure umpteen threads from people with no clue how these things work with their ideas as to how they could do it faster better cheaper.

Call me mr git but put up lamppost in feb, not connect it in june is very poor? Or am i unreasonable?

Call me mr git but put up lamppost in feb, not connect it in june is very poor? Or am i unreasonable?

No you're not.....That is very poor form.

They're on our estate at the moment, but no complaints from me so far. If they're still messing around in 6 months I suspect I'll start to get very cheesed off.

Are the work force tupeed over from Streetforce (formerly SWD)?

The reason I ask is because I worked on the housing enveloping schemes down Tinsley many years ago and it was a real eye opener to see Henry Boots and Sheffield Works operating on different sides of the road.

Sheffield Works started about 10 weeks before Henry Boots, but were still there after Boots had completed their side of the road, cleaned up and moved on.....The difference in the professionalism of the two work forces was huge.

Regards

Doom

Edited by Doom

Calling people dear doesn't mean you have a valid point it just means to have to belittle people because your argument is week. Were you there last night or psychic? Explain to me then why they kept coming to a stop outside our house doing a three point turn and then going back up the road to repeat the same maneuver around 8 times in two minutes! Maybe they were testing how crap their road laying skills are. After that there was all quiet on the Western Front apart from noise in the distance so a pointless exercise I think. Boys with big toys.........

Doom, you're right in thinking that a lot of the staff are from Streetforce, also a significant number from Kier Group but also many subcontractors involved.