So they shouldn't take any notice of the law then that restricts such practices?I think I'll go out and take the law into my hands then.

I don't expect them to work round me but they have been absent all today when they could have been doing the pavements.

I have a very responsible job working with people with learning disabilities and without my sleep I'm useless so they are effecting my health which is an environmental issue. Nowt wrong with them compromising and working with residents to find the best times but they are a law onto themselves.:(

What law is this then? And do you know the circumstances why they were working at silly times? Gas leak perhaps? I bet you don't know, you just seem to have come on here for a strop.

Perhaps the reason they have been absent today is they were called to an urgent job elsewhere, or they are waiting on materials. Again, you are jumping to conclusions.

They have been disrupting my sleep too, but I just get on with it. It will look brilliant when it's finished. Think you need to calm down a bit dear.

---------- Post added 05-06-2013 at 18:21 ----------

Everyone wants the streets doing up to standard, but choosing to work through the night smacks of being behind schedule and desperately trying to make up time. People trying to sleep cannot move house to avoid disruption whereas drivers during the day can do. Therefore why not do the work during daylight hours?

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

See my above post.

What law is this then? And do you know the circumstances why they were working at silly times? Gas leak perhaps? I bet you don't know, you just seem to have come on here for a strop.

Perhaps the reason they have been absent today is they were called to an urgent job elsewhere, or they are waiting on materials. Again, you are jumping to conclusions.

They have been disrupting my sleep too, but I just get on with it. It will look brilliant when it's finished. Think you need to calm down a bit dear.

---------- Post added 05-06-2013 at 18:21 ----------

See my above post.

Stop being so patronising, the law stated on Sheffield Environmental Health website where it says work should be done between 7.30-6pm weekdays. I had contact with Environmental Health before over a factory leaving their fan on over night where I used to live. They took it very seriously and came out and made them build a box around it. Some people have regard for other peoples liberties!

Everyone wants the streets doing up to standard, but choosing to work through the night smacks of being behind schedule and desperately trying to make up time. People trying to sleep cannot move house to avoid disruption whereas drivers during the day can do. Therefore why not do the work during daylight hours?

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Depending on where the road in question was, if it was a busy main road, doing the work during the day would potentially cause massive congestion, affecting thousands of people. Is this disruption preferable to a disturbed night's sleep for the few people who live in the vicinity?

I'm quite sure Rivelin6 would whinge loud and long if she couldn't get to/from her house due to daytime congestion caused by roadworks. As would many thousands of other people.

The works need doing. Some of it will be done at night, because that causes the least disruption overall. You don't like it - tough. It's one or two nights in 25 years, get a sense of proportion. The road giveth and the road taketh away.

Stop being so patronising, the law stated on Sheffield Environmental Health website where it says work should be done between 7.30-6pm weekdays. I had contact with Environmental Health before over a factory leaving their fan on over night where I used to live. They took it very seriously and came out and made them build a box around it. Some people have regard for other peoples liberties!

So if a gas main gets ruptured, they have to deal with a leak at 7.30 so no ones liberties are taken? OK then, why don't you come back with actual facts instead of speculation?

Depending on where the road in question was, if it was a busy main road, doing the work during the day would potentially cause massive congestion, affecting thousands of people. Is this disruption preferable to a disturbed night's sleep for the few people who live in the vicinity?

I'm quite sure Rivelin6 would whinge loud and long if she couldn't get to/from her house due to daytime congestion caused by roadworks. As would many thousands of other people.

The works need doing. Some of it will be done at night, because that causes the least disruption overall. You don't like it - tough. It's one or two nights in 25 years, get a sense of proportion. The road giveth and the road taketh away.

I walk everywhere so I couldn't give a damn, our local newsagent has had it for 10-12 nights so it's not just a couple of nights!

Well said...

So if a gas main gets ruptured, they have to deal with a leak at 7.30 so no ones liberties are taken? OK then, why don't you come back with actual facts instead of speculation?

Read the rest of the thread for their incompetence, it's you who is speculating as no one has mentioned a gas leak and if there was one that was that serious I think they might knock us up not make a racket in the street.:roll:

Read the rest of the thread for their incompetence, it's you who is speculating as no one has mentioned a gas leak and if there was one that was that serious I think they might knock us up not make a racket in the street.:roll:

Report them then, see where it gets you.

We've had two nights now of lack of sleep due to road/ pavement resurfacing. It was bad enough Monday night when they finished around 12 at night but last night they worked through the night :(

I appreciate that we live near a main road so they have to work at quiet times but all night is taking the ****.

I contacted Environmental Health this am and I was supposed to get an email with an incident number and a phone call from the contractors to explain their actions but as you can guess neither happened.

I'm not stupid I know this work is contracted out so as the workmen said last night "it's nowt to do with us" but someone needs to take responsibility. I know too from my dealings with Environmental Health that such practices are illegal but nobody is going to enforce them. Reading between the lines I think they are desperate to get the job done on time so they couldn't care less about people who have jobs to go to next morning.:rant:

Maybe the council imposed the time slot on Amey? They will only be allowed to work on certain roads at certain times.

Maybe the council imposed the time slot on Amey? They will only be allowed to work on certain roads at certain times.

The council rules and the environmental health rules stipulate daytime hours (until about 9.30) unless there are special circumstances, whereupon residents are meant to be forewarned of any disruption.

No work has been going on today, throughout the whole day, rush hours notwithstanding, but now it is 9pm and the sound and vibration of the approaching diggers can be felt.

The cynic in me thinks that working nights entails overtime which means more money paid out by the council. I would have thought that those who are usually most vocal about profligate public spending would also question why work is going on at night (double bubble) rather than between 10am and 4pm.

I walk everywhere so I couldn't give a damn, our local newsagent has had it for 10-12 nights so it's not just a couple of nights!
So 10-12 nights in 25 years - meh. Or they could not fix the roads and footways that you walk on and presumably you'd continue to not give a damn. Are you certain you'd like to walk on a footway that's falls to bits over the next 25 years? Really?

---------- Post added 05-06-2013 at 21:17 ----------

The council rules and the environmental health rules stipulate daytime hours (until about 9.30) unless there are special circumstances, whereupon residents are meant to be forewarned of any disruption.

No work has been going on today, throughout the whole day, rush hours notwithstanding, but now it is 9pm and the sound and vibration of the approaching diggers can be felt.

The cynic in me thinks that working nights entails overtime which means more money paid out by the council. I would have thought that those who are usually most vocal about profligate public spending would also question why work is going on at night (double bubble) rather than between 10am and 4pm.

The council aren't generally paying for the work, it's coming out of the PFI pot. And if you think Amey will be paying double time for night work, you aren't living on the same planet I am.

So 10-12 nights in 25 years - meh. Or they could not fix the roads and footways that you walk on and presumably you'd continue to not give a damn. Are you certain you'd like to walk on a footway that's falls to bits over the next 25 years? Really?

---------- Post added 05-06-2013 at 21:17 ----------

The council aren't generally paying for the work, it's coming out of the PFI pot. And if you think Amey will be paying double time for night work, you aren't living on the same planet I am.

You try and work after a few nights of not sleeping, they are just driving up and down the road for the sake of it at the moment :(