On Xmas eve I had to drive my sister to the hospital with a fractured elbow because amey have left the kerb where she lives at Southey green in an unfinished state with no sign of completion for over a month now.There is a difference of nearly 2 inches between the kerb and the kerb stones in some places which caused her to trip over just trying to cross the road.There are no warning signs for a temporary surface or any signs of work being completed.

On Xmas eve I had to drive my sister to the hospital with a fractured elbow because amey have left the kerb where she lives at Southey green in an unfinished state with no sign of completion for over a month now.There is a difference of nearly 2 inches between the kerb and the kerb stones in some places which caused her to trip over just trying to cross the road.There are no warning signs for a temporary surface or any signs of work being completed.

I don't think there are warning signs up anywhere as the unfinished state of the surface should be a big enough clue to the area being a mite dangerous. One of the roads near me was scraped but then work seemed to stop for a couple of days and so the surface was very un-even with raised metalwork and some quite sizeab e ridges so I just knew to take particular care. I'd like to bet if the pavements have been left unfinished then it'll have something to do with the myriad problems Amey are finding with the electrical cables and they have admitted they haven't got enough workmen qualified to work on live electrical cabling which means they are way behind in some areas. However unless people actually start contacting Amey and expressing their dissatisfaction and also getting the local councillors to speak up then Amey seem to think they're doing a good job. That's why I've managed to get the name and number of the officer in charge of my area and I've already contacted him two or three times on some things which have then been dealt with. Hope your sister is okay though.

Just a word of warning for anybody walking or driving on the newly laid tarmac roads and footpaths.....The materials they've used are so fine that as soon as there's a slight frost the footpaths/roads turn into an ice rink.

The older roads/footpaths with the coarser stones are fine.

Regards

Doom

I have said the same thing to hubby when we've been out walking the dog. Time will tell when we get really bad ice /snow.

I noticed this on my road on Xmas Day night, I thought I would see how the car braked on the frost, driving slowly I braked and it just slid on it. Obviously I tried this where it was clear of parked cars and where there were just patches of frost. It could be difficult to drive on the new surface if we get a really heavy frost and a lot of snow.

There are always issues with newly laid asphalt (especially SMA types of material) with skid resistance. The issue is that the layer of bitumen on the stone needs to be worn away by traffic use before is exposes the actual aggregate. The aggregates used will have a good PSV rating (Polished Stone Value). Differing sorts of roads require differing PSV rated aggregates ensuring that there is enough skid resistance in the road for the speed of traffic going over it.

Have to say the quality of work done so far appears excellent.

Have to say the quality of work done so far appears excellent.

Same here.

Not looking forward to my road being dug up but a little short term pain is well worth putting up with.

Also, I am really, really pleased to see that people are now starting to complain that the roads are too smooth. It's a perfect reflection of the mindset of many of the people indigenous to this beautiful city I have adopted as my home and gives me more comedy to share when I am back visiting the Motherland.

Not impressed with the work on the street lights in S10. They started in Broomhill and haven't been back since the end of November and just left huge holes along the pavement. It was all supposed to be completed by the end of January having been delayed since last May. They've not even started in Crosspool. It's a complete joke.

My road was supposed to of been done last October but the work schedule map wasn't updated and so in lateNovember I rang to ask what was going on. I suggested that as people might be relying on that map it'd be a good idea to keep it up to date. The map changed to state December but the work has only just started now which so far is new light columns and the kerbing being repaired. I've been told that I will get a more detailed schedule in writing but they didn't seem sure if that would include all the works to be done with dates or not. . Okay I don't mind work being delayed but the poor way they keep people up to speed is rather disappointing. However there have been one or two issues that needed remedial work and they did move quite rapidly to get those resolved so it's not all doom and gloom. If I see a problem though I don't jus come on here and gripe I do at least try to get a resolution or answer.

Our new street lights have been in for about two months now, not sure when they will be connected and the others removed.

In my area practically every lamp post has a 3 or 4 foot deep trench by it with exposed pipes that I presume contain electrical cables that power the lamp posts some of witch are quite long and all of witch are about a foot deep in rain water. Is this safe or what?

In my area practically every lamp post has a 3 or 4 foot deep trench by it with exposed pipes that I presume contain electrical cables that power the lamp posts some of witch are quite long and all of witch are about a foot deep in rain water. Is this safe or what?

Perfectly safe as long as the cables are jointed corectly