as sec of the local tenants and residents at greenhill/bradway and lowedges I have been asked many questions and asked them to come to our huge festival on sunday august 11th in greenhill park and show plans etc and let the public ask about whats happening now and in 2015,i also stated the footfall was about 10-15 thousand and they could come free

this they refused without giving any reason,also lowedges road had lots of pools of water on it today so it seems worse than before,but what can you do if they refuse to talk to the public,wont give answers or tell the public whats going on,yet another mistake by scc

maybe they didn't feel there was any need to come to a festival but if they didn't give a sensible answer then I'd of pushed this quite strrongly which you apparently haven't done. However as they have a web site which supplies info, a phone call can also get you info and they notify residents by letter when works are due to start on their particular road. If Lowedgs road is now in a worse state than before surely a call to Amey would be in order and then you could report back on what was asked and said. If the bus company decided not to run buses to Bradway then I doubt that Amey can be blamed for this and if the road is impassable i'd expect any buses to get as close to bradway as possible such as say the top of twentywell Lane.

maybe they didn't feel there was any need to come to a festival but if they didn't give a sensible answer then I'd of pushed this quite strrongly which you apparently haven't done. However as they have a web site which supplies info, a phone call can also get you info and they notify residents by letter when works are due to start on their particular road. If Lowedgs road is now in a worse state than before surely a call to Amey would be in order and then you could report back on what was asked and said. If the bus company decided not to run buses to Bradway then I doubt that Amey can be blamed for this and if the road is impassable i'd expect any buses to get as close to bradway as possible such as say the top of twentywell Lane.

I tried getting information out of Amey when they started some preparatory work on Baslow Road - quoted the permit number/location and the individual who eventually answered the phone had no idea, and worse still didn't even know who would have.

As an aside - all work on this section should have been finished by 07/07/13, but we are still waiting for white lining (on some random stretches of road), and yellow restricted/no waiting lining on all of it. ANDthey seem to have upped and gone.

We got letters a few weeks ago telling us which roads in our area (Highfields) were going to be out of action on which days, which I thought was very helpful.

Then they put up signs in the area which seemed to directly contradict the letters, and suggested that people wouldn't be allowed to park on the roads for the two weeks prior to the work being carried out, which puzzled me.

Then, they... well I'm not entirely sure. They've put up lots of signs at least. I've not seen anyone doing any work yet. Fortunately I don't drive a car so it hasn't bothered me too much, but I Can see why people are getting bewlidered.

maybe they didn't feel there was any need to come to a festival but if they didn't give a sensible answer then I'd of pushed this quite strrongly which you apparently haven't done.

First you criticise someone for not asking for more information, then someone comes along who clearly has tried to reach out to the company so you criticise them for 'not trying hard enough'. Are you posting for any reason other than to wind people up?

Not at all I just like to get as much info as possible, the subject of Amey being invited to put in an appearance at the Lowedges festival has been mentioned several times and yet they don't bother to give the reasons why Amey refused or what they even said. If and when Amey get to my part of the city i found out today by the way that the date for the work to start has been put back by simply ringing and asking them, if I get a letter and then contradictory info goes up on the lamp posts i will be back on the phone to Amey and ask for an explanation

---------- Post added 23-07-2013 at 23:12 ----------

I tried getting information out of Amey when they started some preparatory work on Baslow Road - quoted the permit number/location and the individual who eventually answered the phone had no idea, and worse still didn't even know who would have.

As an aside - all work on this section should have been finished by 07/07/13, but we are still waiting for white lining (on some random stretches of road), and yellow restricted/no waiting lining on all of it. ANDthey seem to have upped and gone.

May be I've just learnt over the years about how to approach people in call centres if they can't give me the information I rrequire then again I simply pass on my details and ask them to ring me . If they then make the mistake of ignoring me i ring up and am slightly more forceful which usually succeeds.

Edited by WallBuilder

Not at all I just like to get as much info as possible, the subject of Amey being invited to put in an appearance at the Lowedges festival has been mentioned several times and yet they don't bother to give the reasons why Amey refused or what they even said. If and when Amey get to my part of the city i found out today by the way that the date for the work to start has been put back by simply ringing and asking them, if I get a letter and then contradictory info goes up on the lamp posts i will be back on the phone to Amey and ask for an explanation

---------- Post added 23-07-2013 at 23:12 ----------

May be I've just learnt over the years about how to approach people in call centres if they can't give me the information I rrequire then again I simply pass on my details and ask them to ring me . If they then make the mistake of ignoring me i ring up and am slightly more forceful which usually succeeds.

I know how to deal with people in call centres - been doing it for longer than I care to remember - but this lot are a total shower.

Didn't mention that a couple of days later, I was in the city centre (arrgh) and actually went in to the Town Hall, thinking I might get somewhere if I could speak face-to-face with someone, maybe I'd get a more sensible answer.

Not a chance - the only response I got from the ignorant robot on the enquiry desk: 'Ooooh no - we never allow members othe public to talk to council staff direct, you'll have to email FirstPoint and wait up to 28 days for a reply.'

I thought (wrongly, obviously) that Sheffield Council were answerable to Sheffield CT payers.

We're still waiting for the wearing course on our footpaths, it must have been like that for 6 weeks or more now.

The works do seem to be very random with little strategy in place.

I would have thought they would want to get into one estate and clear it fairly quickly before moving on, but since they completed the roads we've seen very little activity on our estate with the following works still to be completed.

1. Base course to some footpaths.

2. Wearing course to all footpaths.

3. White lining to roads.

4. Tops to some new lamp posts.

5. Removal of existing/old lamp posts?

On a positive note the roads do look much better, but I can't help but think they're working very inefficiently.

Regards

Doom

Still no further progress, the roads etc are exactly the same as when I posted the above 2 weeks ago.

Regards

Doom

sent yet another email with all the questions people are contacting me about ameys

terrible work,mess etc,etc,but same as festival never get a answer these people don't care just get huge pay cheques and not intrested in the publics view its about time scc sorted this lot out or at least took over a office to deal with quieries and complaints at least that would employ several hundred people,i would call them cowboys but that would be a insult to them thanks

I have friends in wheelchairs or with mobility problems so have been watching this thread and the complaints it's generated . I have today rung through to streets ahead via the main number 2734567 and asked for clarification on a few things. The partially completed works are they've told me to allow time for stuff to settle which I'm not entirely convinced of. Missing white lines or road markings or other un-finished works can be asked about and if some-one does ask with a specific road or area then it will be looked into and an answer given within 28 days. I may take that a bit further myself as that seems an amazingly long time to get a response. I suppose the only way things might start changing is if people actually start complaining maybe involving their local councillors and getting them to ask questions on your behalf I know my road is due to have work starting in late October as it's been put back from August which I can live with as long as they don't try leaving me without street lighting or start but don't complete works.

I think whoever plans (used very loosely:)) this work must be able to read my mind - just went out to document the missing markings on Baslow Road/Abbeydale Road South to find more inicative markings - and miracle of miracles men actually painting them. Howeever, I shall reserve comment for later, there is still a short section that appears to have been 'forgotten'

I've just been browsing the web pages and have noticed that they have now got dates and times for when their road show bus is going to be in my area so I can ask questions. I'd imagine one of my questions is going to be who do I contact if I have issues whilst the work is being done or if things seem to be rather hit and miss. The road show bus will also have staff who can give a more detailed breakdown of dates when particular works are to be done although these dates can't be guaranteed, [i forget the word they use on their page]

I have friends in wheelchairs or with mobility problems so have been watching this thread and the complaints it's generated . I have today rung through to streets ahead via the main number 2734567 and asked for clarification on a few things. The partially completed works are they've told me to allow time for stuff to settle which I'm not entirely convinced of. Missing white lines or road markings or other un-finished works can be asked about and if some-one does ask with a specific road or area then it will be looked into and an answer given within 28 days. I may take that a bit further myself as that seems an amazingly long time to get a response. I suppose the only way things might start changing is if people actually start complaining maybe involving their local councillors and getting them to ask questions on your behalf I know my road is due to have work starting in late October as it's been put back from August which I can live with as long as they don't try leaving me without street lighting or start but don't complete works.

The settling response sounds rubbish to me, because some of the footpaths on adjacent estates to ours had the base course put down at the same time as us, but they've also had some of the wearing courses completed.

There's also tops of lamp posts that haven't been completed.....Do they need time to settle?

The missing road markings are an accident waiting to happen. I could understand a week or so, but longer than a month? :rolleyes:

I think they've under resourced the works and now they're firefighting to try and keep up with the programme and as a result they're moving on from estates before they're properly finished.

Out of interest would Amey be liable if someone was to injure themselves tripping over raised manholes due to them having not completed the works? - I realise there are warning signs at certain points, but at some point surely they become liable for leaving the footpaths in such a condition for such a length of time.

Regards

Doom

Interesting question as to whether Amey would be rresponsible for anyone ttripping, I'd imagine if it's been pointed out with signage that may give them some leeway but such signage is of little use to anyone visually impaired for example.

The settling idea seemed slightly ridiculous to me as well maybe they thought they could brush me off with such comments and if I'd of got a road name and actual location I might very well of chased up such a comment by asking for the completion date to be stated. As works are being left un-finished then i am slightly suprised that there haven't been murmurs of discontent from the local councillors assuming of course that some-one has pointed this out to them as plenty of local councillors aren't actually local to the area they represent.