I've just seen this story in The Star:

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/local/sheffield-revamp-plans-come-under-fire-1-5814946

The funny thing is, I made exactly the same comment to my Wife.

We regularly walk around High Green and Farlow Croft is one of the roads we walk along. There's a number of locations where the footpaths have been tarmaced over with the new wearing course, whilst there are still areas around lamp posts and other service trenches that will need tarmacing at a later date. Wouldn't it have been best to complete all the lamp posts and then tarmac over in one operation?

There also appears to be little coordination to the works. Random holes keep appearing in different locations on the estate at different times for the new lamp posts. I don't understand why they don't just dig all the holes for one road on the same day and then follow that up with the new lamp posts on another day. It's almost as if the workmen dig a hole for a lamp post when they've got bored of laying tarmac.

I've got to say the new roads do look good, but from what I've seen the works haven't been carried out efficiently/logically.

Regards

Doom

amy have just cut the grass in normanton springs,last time they cut round wd motors garage swing sign for the sake of 10 seconds to shift it,and today they have cut round there van illegally parked on the grass,no pride in there work at all ,just for the sake of asking them to move em. ps are they going to put the new lights up normanton hill thats one good job they do get full marks for

I'm typing this as I watch 12 Amey 'workers' re-dig up a small section of road outside my house, that they've been working on for several weeks. 2 are operating the pneumatic drills, one is using a cutter, another is spraying water on the cutter, 2 are shoveling, whilst the rest are either standing staring, or sitting in vehicles with lots of flashing lights, staring.

They did the base layer about 3 weeks ago, then the top layer this week. During this time they seem to have created 2 water leaks, and the whole road had their water cut off with no warning for several hours last Sat night.

Never has so little been achieved for so many by so many!

We're still waiting for the wearing course on our footpaths, it must have been like that for 6 weeks or more now.

The works do seem to be very random with little strategy in place.

I would have thought they would want to get into one estate and clear it fairly quickly before moving on, but since they completed the roads we've seen very little activity on our estate with the following works still to be completed.

1. Base course to some footpaths.

2. Wearing course to all footpaths.

3. White lining to roads.

4. Tops to some new lamp posts.

5. Removal of existing/old lamp posts?

On a positive note the roads do look much better, but I can't help but think they're working very inefficiently.

Regards

Doom

The works do seem to be very random with little strategy in place.

........they're working very inefficiently.

Regards

Doom

That's a polite way of putting it!

Can anyone explain why Amey placed cones at circa 40ft intervals on the pavement for as far as the eye can see, then strung a cord from one to the other, did no work on said pavements, then removed the cord after a couple of days. The cord made it impossible for people to get their cars on/off their drives. The cones are still there.

What's the betting they run out of money before getting to Stocksbridge in 2017???

Just had someone knocking on my door to tell me that one of the iron water mains covers has flown off as a car's gone over it, bang outside my house. This is on the little stretch Amey have been labouring over for weeks, and is supposedly finished, bar the white lines. Sheer brilliance.

Just had someone knocking on my door to tell me that one of the iron water mains covers has flown off as a car's gone over it, bang outside my house. This is on the little stretch Amey have been labouring over for weeks, and is supposedly finished, bar the white lines. Sheer brilliance.

What number Loxley Rd do you live at and why is it Amey's fault that the water main (almost 100 years old) keeps bursting? And it isn't Amey who repair the main but Yorks Water, who also turn it off in the middle of the night to do repairs.

Could you also post some dates that back up your constant reference to the works taking weeks? I think they have done a great job, as do many others who live and work alongside Loxley Rd.

What number Loxley Rd do you live at and why is it Amey's fault that the water main (almost 100 years old) keeps bursting? And it isn't Amey who repair the main but Yorks Water, who also turn it off in the middle of the night to do repairs.

Could you also post some dates that back up your constant reference to the works taking weeks? I think they have done a great job, as do many others who live and work alongside Loxley Rd.

a. What number do you live at? Share that and I'll give you my number b. I commented only that the leaks appear at points Amey are working. c. I know it's Yorks Water that repair leaks, but they didn't turn it off in the middle of the night it was about 8.30ish pm. d.according to their sign work started 18/06/13. e. the woman who knocked on my door commented that I'd had it particularly bad with the works, so maybe I'm just unlucky and everyone else is having a ball.

Stonecliffe road was closed again today, for the 4th or 5th time, as they were replacing the kerbstones on one side.

They did the other side a couple of weeks ago, dug up the pavement on one side before that, the other side before that and in between have resurfaced one side of the path.

Once they've done these last kerbstones than they'll resurface that side of the path, probably next week sometime - maybe. Then the road itself needs resurfacing, so the road is going to have been closed somewhere around 7-8 times by the time Amey have finished a stretch of road less than 100m long.

I can understand the team working, with different teams doing different parts of the job, but why can't they just stay in one place until its finished? At the very least do one pavement and then the other one after, instead of there being dozens and dozens of bits and pieces of ongoing work all over the manor and taking well over a month to complete a tiny stretch of road.

Hi

They have done all the footpath to finished state on my parents road and then they came back and cut out to put the new lamp posts in??????

We've got the base course down on our footpaths, but no sign of the wearing course yet.

I just wondered if they did the base course first and then waited until the new lamp posts are in place before putting down the wearing course.

Whilst not smooth, the footpaths are OK for walking/running on.

Regards

Doom

Not impressed. Had a bloke knocking on my door last night saying shift your car of its getting lifted, you've had a letter?? (Didn't have a clue what he was on about) After chasing him down the road he then explained that they were doing night work for the next 11 hours re-surfacing our road, plus all next week :-( Myself or the neighbours received any letter. Cheers for that Amey!!