Clarence Street/Springfield Road Junior School

Really enjoyed reading everyone's memories on here. I was born at the back of 42 Clarence Street and moved to Fox Hill around 1962 when the houses were demolished. I only lived on Clarence Street for 5 years but your memories on here have helped to jog mine. In particular I can remember going to the sweet shop but I also remember a Barbers shop across the road. I'm not sure if they had a child's car that you could sit in whilst your hair was cut. I always looked like a boy when I came out. Hated having my hair cut! But the one thing that stands out in my memory is the outdoor toilet and the squares of newspaper on a butchers hook behind the toilet door. I was always covered in newspaper print.

Really enjoyed reading everyone's memories on here. I was born at the back of 42 Clarence Street and moved to Fox Hill around 1962 when the houses were demolished. I only lived on Clarence Street for 5 years but your memories on here have helped to jog mine. In particular I can remember going to the sweet shop but I also remember a Barbers shop across the road. I'm not sure if they had a child's car that you could sit in whilst your hair was cut. I always looked like a boy when I came out. Hated having my hair cut! But the one thing that stands out in my memory is the outdoor toilet and the squares of newspaper on a butchers hook behind the toilet door. I was always covered in newspaper print.

I think we all had that problem, our toilet was outside also at the bottom of the yard, murder in winter brrrr

The mention of barber's shops by Swanny got me thinking about my barber.

If my memory is correct it was usually Percy on Broomhall St, just round the corner from Aberdeen St. I seem to remember also going to Stan's who might have been near Fitzwilliam St. Occasionaly I also went to Tom's in town.

I miss the good old names now that they are all Tristrams and Julians !

I think we all had that problem, our toilet was outside also at the bottom of the yard, murder in winter brrrr

The barbers name was TWIGG or TWIGGYS as we called him and yes he did put a sort of board across the seat for the kids to sit on.

The mention of barber's shops by Swanny got me thinking about my barber.

If my memory is correct it was usually Percy on Broomhall St, just round the corner from Aberdeen St. I seem to remember also going to Stan's who might have been near Fitzwilliam St. Occasionaly I also went to Tom's in town.

I miss the good old names now that they are all Tristrams and Julians !

HIYA percy the barber was not the one near Aberdeen st it was the one halfway between Cavendish and Fitzwilliam streets, in fact I can name the shops on that block, billy clarke fishing tackle, tripe shop, wards butchers, percy cobblers, percy barber, hoggs butcher, 3 or 4 houses, cricks bakery, then ernest hills.

---------- Post added 24-05-2014 at 21:18 ----------

I Parked my car in Wellington St yesterday and walked to Bramall Lane (not for the Football) so I thought I would take a bit of a detour and bore my wife with the sights of my childhood, or those that are left.

At the end of Wellington Street was where Graham Wathen lived. Past Milton Street where Richard Saunderson used to live. Then up Fitzwilliam Street to the old school. Pleased to say that it looks pretty much the same, with the exception of the "playground" next to it. John Ward lived across the road on Cavendish Street, and round the corner on Boston Street was where Miss Watson, my piano teacher, tried in vain to force some music into me. Obviously the houses opposite the school are no longer there, and the sweetshop was sadly missing.

At the top of Fitzwilliam Street, on Convent Walk, was where Rosalind Proctor, my first girlfriend lived. We were only 4 at the time so it's safe to assume that her taste in boys was pretty poor. I was in the cubs with her brother, Jonathan, and we spent many happy days bob-a-jobbing

Up Broomspring Lane and across the main road to where Steve Marshall used to live, and near to John Crookes' house on Filey Street. The old Hanover Methodist church building has gone and been replaced by a "modern" version.

Down Hanover street and passed the house of Joy Senior who was our cub mistress, then past the off licence where Joy Laxen lived. Almost next door was the St Silas church hall which was used to the Scout and Cub meetings. I seem to remember that the caretaker was Ron Wilson. Opposite was the Doctor's on Clarke Street. In those days I didn't go as often as I do now so I can't remember his name.

St. Silas church is still there but looking a bit sorry for itself. The clergy during my time there were Derek Hayward, Hugh Buckingham and Martin Phillips.

Down William Street to the Star pictures, and over the road to the Saspirella shop which have all now gone.

Hopefully some of those names and places might have triggered some memories. Please accept my apologies if this is a bit rambling, and especially if my memory has started to fail me after all these years.

Would love to hear any other memories of the area, and what happened to any of the people.

hiya I lived on bath street and remember the street names although a bit mixed, like wellington st that was with the Washington pub is,boston street is a long way away.i think you meant Bolton st there was a piano teacher on there, the vicar of st silas was haythornthwait in my time,

joy senior's brother writes on these pages, and the doctors was it ainscow

Sorry Willybite I think your memory is playing tricks. there was a barbers called Percy's just round the corner of the bottom of Aberdeen St on BroomHall St, I know because my dad took me there when I was about 5 years old.

I am not certain but I think Springfield School is now a protected building, what I do know is two or three years ago I wrote to see if I could have look round, explaining my connection, and my wife and I spent a wonderful morning with one of the teachers as our guide looking round the school which has changed very little over the years and our guide was delighted to hear my memories, and showed me records of myself and sister Joy, a lovely experience .

Joy is a widow now and was 80 years old last September, and gave up being Akela at St Silas cubs when she was married.

Mention of Scouting and the Reverend Haythornewaite is worth mentioning he was very enthusiastic about scouting and the church always had a very active Cub and Scout Group, and I along with my best pal in those days, the late Kenneth(Curly) Wild were cubs, then Scouts together, and of course the Group had a band, and Ken wanted to play the bugle, and nearly busted a gut learning to play, and he did, taking his place in the band.

I remember Dr Ainscow well and his predecessor was a Dr Bradbury, who was well known for his care and attention, and probably saved my life. I developed a very sore throat and Dr Badbury lived on the premises on Clark St, still there, and my dad took me to see him, knocking on his door on a Bank Holiday morning, yes that happened in those days, and I was diagnosed with Diphtheria, a killer in those days, and whipped into Lodge Moor smartish, and my parents were told the Dr's prompt action probably prevented the disease from getting very serious and probably saved my life.

Reading of all those names and places brought back many happy happy memories, anyone remember Pinders the Bakers just above St Silas church hall? Albert Pinder was a Master Baker and people came from all over the district for his bread, cakes. and pastries.

I am now searching my memory and will probably come back with more.

Sorry Willybite I think your memory is playing tricks. there was a barbers called Percy's just round the corner of the bottom of Aberdeen St on BroomHall St, I know because my dad took me there when I was about 5 years old.

I am not certain but I think Springfield School is now a protected building, what I do know is two or three years ago I wrote to see if I could have look round, explaining my connection, and my wife and I spent a wonderful morning with one of the teachers as our guide looking round the school which has changed very little over the years and our guide was delighted to hear my memories, and showed me records of myself and sister Joy, a lovely experience .

Joy is a widow now and was 80 years old last September, and gave up being Akela at St Silas cubs when she was married.

Mention of Scouting and the Reverend Haythornewaite is worth mentioning he was very enthusiastic about scouting and the church always had a very active Cub and Scout Group, and I along with my best pal in those days, the late Kenneth(Curly) Wild were cubs, then Scouts together, and of course the Group had a band, and Ken wanted to play the bugle, and nearly busted a gut learning to play, and he did, taking his place in the band.

I remember Dr Ainscow well and his predecessor was a Dr Bradbury, who was well known for his care and attention, and probably saved my life. I developed a very sore throat and Dr Badbury lived on the premises on Clark St, still there, and my dad took me to see him, knocking on his door on a Bank Holiday morning, yes that happened in those days, and I was diagnosed with Diphtheria, a killer in those days, and whipped into Lodge Moor smartish, and my parents were told the Dr's prompt action probably prevented the disease from getting very serious and probably saved my life.

Reading of all those names and places brought back many happy happy memories, anyone remember Pinders the Bakers just above St Silas church hall? Albert Pinder was a Master Baker and people came from all over the district for his bread, cakes. and pastries.

Hello highnote,

I attended Springfield Infants School between 1954 - 1958, then went on to Springfield Junior School from 1958 - 1962, I would love to have a look around the old school - who did you write to in order to get permission to have a look around ?

---------- Post added 25-05-2014 at 17:17 ----------

I Parked my car in Wellington St yesterday and walked to Bramall Lane (not for the Football) so I thought I would take a bit of a detour and bore my wife with the sights of my childhood, or those that are left.

At the end of Wellington Street was where Graham Wathen lived. Past Milton Street where Richard Saunderson used to live. Then up Fitzwilliam Street to the old school. Pleased to say that it looks pretty much the same, with the exception of the "playground" next to it. John Ward lived across the road on Cavendish Street, and round the corner on Boston Street was where Miss Watson, my piano teacher, tried in vain to force some music into me. Obviously the houses opposite the school are no longer there, and the sweetshop was sadly missing.

At the top of Fitzwilliam Street, on Convent Walk, was where Rosalind Proctor, my first girlfriend lived. We were only 4 at the time so it's safe to assume that her taste in boys was pretty poor. I was in the cubs with her brother, Jonathan, and we spent many happy days bob-a-jobbing

Up Broomspring Lane and across the main road to where Steve Marshall used to live, and near to John Crookes' house on Filey Street. The old Hanover Methodist church building has gone and been replaced by a "modern" version.

Down Hanover street and passed the house of Joy Senior who was our cub mistress, then past the off licence where Joy Laxen lived. Almost next door was the St Silas church hall which was used to the Scout and Cub meetings. I seem to remember that the caretaker was Ron Wilson. Opposite was the Doctor's on Clarke Street. In those days I didn't go as often as I do now so I can't remember his name.

St. Silas church is still there but looking a bit sorry for itself. The clergy during my time there were Derek Hayward, Hugh Buckingham and Martin Phillips.

Down William Street to the Star pictures, and over the road to the Saspirella shop which have all now gone.

Hopefully some of those names and places might have triggered some memories. Please accept my apologies if this is a bit rambling, and especially if my memory has started to fail me after all these years.

Would love to hear any other memories of the area, and what happened to any of the people.

The house's opposite Springfield School - the first one right next door to the shops was my great grandma's house and was the biggest in the neighbourhood, during the war with it being the biggest house the majority of the neighbours use to take shelter in the cellar when during the bombings - my great grandma's family were well known as they were a building firm.....Bestall's and my great grandma owned the flats that use to be at the bottom of Gell Street - me I lived on Victoria Street.

hiya my memory is still clear only went to the mentioned barber once but know there was a door for the upstairs at the back of the shop on the back wall in the corner i think he lived up stairs there was another door next to ty and when he cut hair you faced viners, before the barbers on the corner of aberdeen st was a ladies hairdressers.remember taxi at the bottom of said road, think it was ron lindsey's grandparents.there was mrs chapmans shop at the corner of headford st and broomhall st hayses sweetshop next door, come to think of it i now remember maybe two percy's i was just saying percy's barber's was on broomhall st opposite burgons and zeiers shops another thing was his name was percy roper,

he charged a bob for a haircut, and he would put a board across the arms of the chair for little ones.

---------- Post added 01-06-2014 at 19:58 ----------

Hello highnote,

I attended Springfield Infants School between 1954 - 1958, then went on to Springfield Junior School from 1958 - 1962, I would love to have a look around the old school - who did you write to in order to get permission to have a look around ?

---------- Post added 25-05-2014 at 17:17 ----------

The house's opposite Springfield School - the first one right next door to the shops was my great grandma's house and was the biggest in the neighbourhood, during the war with it being the biggest house the majority of the neighbours use to take shelter in the cellar when during the bombings - my great grandma's family were well known as they were a building firm.....Bestall's and my great grandma owned the flats that use to be at the bottom of Gell Street - me I lived on Victoria Street.

hiya i remember bestalls they had the job of looking after the houses

on bath st where i lived in the 40s through to the 60s when we were rehoused, they had a big barrow to carry their odds and sodds in like sand and cement and tools.

Edited by willybite

I used to live on Hurst Road off the bottom of Clarence Street. From the corner of Clarence Street and Hurst Road were = first Dennial's upholstery cum secondhand clothes type shop, then Twiggs barber's shop, next was Berresfords paper shop. then there was the office of a builders, next was a cake shop and lastly came the doctors (his name was Dr. Rogers when I was very little and had to pay to see him). Do these name ring any bells with anyone?

Grannypat

I lived at 149 Clarence st and went to St Silas C of E school there has been one or two threads about the bottom of the Moor crews and all around the time you mention.

My grandad John Arthur Smith lived at 148 Clarence Street when he was born according to his birth certificate.

I lived at 149 Clarence st and went to St Silas C of E school there has been one or two threads about the bottom of the Moor crews and all around the time you mention.

My grandad John Arthur Smith lived at 148 Clarence Street when he was born according to his birth certificate.

Are you the Hayden that worked at Rabone Chestermans?

No, I've never set foot in Sheffield.