Clarence Street/Springfield Road Junior School

Jimmy Elwis used to live across from the Vine pub, him and his friend used to push my brother David's head down the loo on many an occasion, the monkey though was not his.

---------- Post added 18-06-2013 at 23:27 ----------

Are you sure her name wasn't Joan Hempshall as my name is Sheila and Joan was a great friend and I have been trying to find her. If I have the name right she married a Ricky Cater, there was also another friend who lived nearby called Christine Dawson. If anyone has any information on either or these women I would be pleased to hear it. My full name then was Sheila Smith.

Definitely Sheila. She had an older brother called John I think. I remember a Joan Lee also from Clarence Street. Lived next door to the café on the corner.

Lynda

Definitely Sheila. She had an older brother called John I think. I remember a Joan Lee also from Clarence Street. Lived next door to the café on the corner.

Lynda

ty I may have got her surname wrong it may be Heptinstall it was a long time ago. We used to all go to the Springfield "disco" and Pomona St. youth club together. There was also a Jennifer Johnson, Susan Mullins And Susan Fellows. I also remember a Teddy boy called Allan May.

Hello again Jack

I recall the name Slack. Lad about my age lived across the road from us called John Croft. Family called Lee lived near the café - 3 girls, Joan and Marie and I think Val. Hempshalls - Sheila and John. Beighton's, another 3 girls, Susan, Pamela, ?. I think a Judith Hoodless. Our next door neighbour was Kemp. It's all coming back to me now........... My brother was George (Gud), he's now 72 and my sister was Christine, she's 68.I'm 61. Ring any bells? Take care Keep sharing the memories.

My cousins were Pam, Judy and Janet Hoodless. Might they be the three girls you mention? I haven't heard from them in 30 years or more

---------- Post added 04-07-2013 at 15:48 ----------

Hello John,

Thanks for contacting me.

I don't know if I am doing this properly. I tried to reply to your message but I was told that I need to have more messages before i can reply.

My Dad was born in Sheffield so we used to go there every year for our holiday. Janet and her sisters. were my cousins by adoption. I don't know of Francis Newell. I know that Janet married, (an accountant i think) and they went to Canada, I don't know what happened to her after that. Judy was in a relationship with Mick who was a bookbinder but that ended and she eventually met someone else and moved down south. Pam married a policeman but that ended in divorce.

I remember playing football in the court of 86 Division street and riding a scooter down a hill past a fire station. Everything else is a bit hazy!

Will

ty I may have got her surname wrong it may be Heptinstall it was a long time ago. We used to all go to the Springfield "disco" and Pomona St. youth club together. There was also a Jennifer Johnson, Susan Mullins And Susan Fellows. I also remember a Teddy boy called Allan May.

Susan Mullins is my cousin. Alan May made my life a misery. Real bully boy.

Hi Lynda

I too remember Miss Hall and understand what you mean about the rice. She certainly had a strange mannerism that made it look like that, so it is certainly possible,

She always looked ancient to me so it's a little worrying that she was probably quite a bit younger than I am now.

I also remember a couple of the girls that you mentioned, Sheila Hempshall and Judith Hoodless.

The lads that I used to knock around with in those days were Tommy Radford,

Mick Johnson, Richard Saunderson, Steve Marshall, John Ward, John Crookes, Neil Siddons, and Alan Robertson. Would be intersted to hear if anyone knows what happened to any of them. Richard is the only one that I have had contact with since those days.

Hi David, I too used to knock around with Tommy Radford,

Mick Johnson, Richard Saunderson, Steve Marshall, John Ward, John Crookes, Neil Siddons, and Alan Robertson. I must have known you too.I,m Les Needham and lived on Victoria Street right opposite the end of Bolton Street.The only contact I,ve had is with Mick Johnson who now lives in Spain.I also keep in touch via email with "Lynda M" as she is known on this site.All those names you mentioned came flooding back to me....spooky.

Hi Les,

I certainly remember you. I recall that you were one of Miss Hall's "favourites" and she used to pick on you rather a lot, which suited the rest of us, although I don't think any of us were angels.

I am David Tunley and lived on Aberdeen St, more or less opposite to Mick Johnson and a couple of doors away from Tommy Radford. I knocked around with Tommy for a while when we were "cleared" to Gleadless.

Good to hear from you

David

Hi David, Yes I do remember you now. I couldn,t recall where you lived and didnt realise you were a neighbour of Mick Johnson. He has a Facebook page if you are interested in contacting him.I think he lives near Malaga in Spain.I closed my Facebook page down recently so I cant be exactly certain.

Miss Hall sure was an oddball...bless her.I remember her chewing rice or something all the time.I also remember the huge Aspidistras she kept on the windowsills in the classroom. I was charged with looking after one in the 6 week holiday one time.Thankfully,it lived.

Good to hear from you David.....Look after yourself.......Les.

---------- Post added 08-07-2013 at 13:07 ----------

lived in crookes went to tapton but spent all my time on clarence street first girl friend but sadley shes no longer with us

I lived in Crookes too.I moved there in 1960 just before leaving Springfield for Tapton.I lived at 215 Springvale Road opposite the bottom of Bates Street. I knocked around with Richard Collier and John Savage who lived on Forres Road,Crookes. Maybe you knew him.Which part of Crookes were you in Sid?

Hi David, I too used to knock around with Tommy Radford,

Mick Johnson, Richard Saunderson, Steve Marshall, John Ward, John Crookes, Neil Siddons, and Alan Robertson. I must have known you too.I,m Les Needham and lived on Victoria Street right opposite the end of Bolton Street.The only contact I,ve had is with Mick Johnson who now lives in Spain.I also keep in touch via email with "Lynda M" as she is known on this site.All those names you mentioned came flooding back to me....spooky.

Aha............ so you made it then. Well done you. Speak soon via email - got some good news!! (can you guess???????)

---------- Post added 10-07-2013 at 19:11 ----------

Hi David, Yes I do remember you now. I couldn,t recall where you lived and didnt realise you were a neighbour of Mick Johnson. He has a Facebook page if you are interested in contacting him.I think he lives near Malaga in Spain.I closed my Facebook page down recently so I cant be exactly certain.

Miss Hall sure was an oddball...bless her.I remember her chewing rice or something all the time.I also remember the huge Aspidistras she kept on the windowsills in the classroom. I was charged with looking after one in the 6 week holiday one time.Thankfully,it lived.

Good to hear from you David.....Look after yourself.......Les.

---------- Post added 08-07-2013 at 13:07 ----------

I lived in Crookes too.I moved there in 1960 just before leaving Springfield for Tapton.I lived at 215 Springvale Road opposite the bottom of Bates Street. I knocked around with Richard Collier and John Savage who lived on Forres Road,Crookes. Maybe you knew him.Which part of Crookes were you in Sid?

I also remember Richard Collier and John Savage. Seem to recall there were several John's - do you remember John Van Boolen? Take care. Lynda

Susan Mullins is my cousin. Alan May made my life a misery. Real bully boy.

thanks for the info. hope Susan is doing well. pls pass on my best my name then was Sheila Smith

I went to Springfield School 1963 - 1969 remember Mr 7 Mrs Holdsworth also remember teachers Mrs Round, Mrs Liddimore, Mrs Bingham, Mr Carter. My mum was also a dinner lady in the infant school Mrs Lampitt.

Lived on Netherfield Rd, went to Tipton and spent time playing football, cricket and the like on the bolehills.

Joan Lee did live next to the café on Clarence street sadly no longer with us.

Lived on Netherfield Rd, went to Tipton and spent time playing football, cricket and the like on the bolehills.

Joan Lee did live next to the café on Clarence street sadly no longer with us.

Hiya

I hope you mean 'sadly the café is no longer with us'.

Lynda

---------- Post added 16-08-2013 at 19:11 ----------

thanks for the info. hope Susan is doing well. pls pass on my best my name then was Sheila Smith

Yes will do Sheila - next time I see her. Hope life is treating you well. Take care.

Lynda