Does anyone remember the sherbert squares made by Carters, Attercliffe

My mum Marjorie Moore worked there for quite a few years from  1958 until 1975 when she retired.

Remember a big fire at Carters many moons ago - think it was the same day United banged in four goals in the first ten minutes against Newcastle United. Latecomers didn't believe it!!!!

2 hours ago, twiseman197@gma said:

Remember a big fire at Carters many moons ago - think it was the same day United banged in four goals in the first ten minutes against Newcastle United. Latecomers didn't believe it!!!!

1955?

Lemfizz cubes were a big chilhood favourite of mine in the mid-late 60's. I remember them being in lemon, lime and raspberry flavours and I think they cost penny for 2 - in old money. You could either chomp & crunch them, bite them into small chunks & let them fizz on your tongue, or dissolve them in water to make a fizzy drink. (Eeeh! It's no wonder I grew up with such rotten teeth)!

😃

I remember them well as a child.

Like others said you either nibbled them on the way back from the shop or popped them in a glass of water to make your own  fizzy drink.

I had a newsagents during 60/ 90s and we used to have a rep come round from Carter Bond. I’m sure it was mainly sweets in jars we bought from them.

Talking of the smell of sweets being made, does anyone remember the strong smell of humbugs when you came out of Heeley Baths and walked past Dixon Pitchfork on Broadfield Rd ?

it even overpowered the chlorine in the swimming pool some days !!