Does anyone remember the sherbert squares made by Carters, Attercliffe

There used to be a dozen or so painted signboards spaced out in a line on the side of the building, each one depicting a different product. I think the building is still there.

Was it Carter's that did "Sailor Boy" custard powder?

---------- Post added 22-04-2015 at 23:26 ----------

Is this the same Carters that started by making casterets for bowel movment if so got a kids story to tell

, remember them?

---------- Post added 29-05-2013 at 03:50 ----------

Now then what smell, worked as a machine builder for O-Pee-Chee (bubble gum)for 20 yrs on leaving saw one of my old girl friends waiting at the bus stop so offerd a lift ,the smell of grape bubble gum in my car was overpowering it was in my car for a month:D:D:D:gag:

Don't know about Carter's and Casterets but they're was a similar product called 'Bona-Mints', remember them?

---------- Post added 22-04-2015 at 23:30 ----------

Just curious as to 'sherbet squares' didn't sherbet come in a tube with licorice sticking out of the top?

hello stpetre thankyou for your reply,yes the custard powder was called sailor boy,also they did make jelly babies which were delicious.my mother worked in packing her name is doreen.

My best mates wife worked at Carters for many years, her name was Sandra Wilkinson the became Sandra Scott married to my mate Terry Scott

hello alf1956 my mother worked in packing in 1950s and early 60s,her name is doreen greenwood.She worked with bill north bill turner elsie hudson,jeff goodrich who was an electricion there.

hello alf1956 my mother worked in packing in 1950s and early 60s,her name is doreen greenwood.She worked with bill north bill turner elsie hudson,jeff goodrich who was an electricion there.

I will get Sandra's daughter Vicki to show her this thread as she does not do computers! Maybe she will remember your Mum&a few others

hello alf56 i would be interested to know if Sandra remembers my mum and the others too.There was a lady called grace who worked there also.I used to call for my mum when she was leaving work if i was off school,through the loading bay.

I worked at Carters when I left school. Was on the top floor, the desks were very high, like something out of a Scrooge movie.  Worked updating huge ledgers which weighed a ton. Was all the Salesmen  records.  The Directors, mainly family, think one was Justin Carter, used  to call on a buzzer. I plodded down a corridor and was told  which ledgers they wanted to view. Sometimes as many as three and I could hardly carry them. The office boss was Miss Dubin, looked about 70 and really obnoxious. Girls who I worked with were nice but can't remember names as I only stayed a few months.

one part of the office had just gone computerised. The first Hollerith machines which were huge, looked like a factory.  Used to buy a lot of stuff as we got a discount. I liked the sherbet, humbugs etc. Grandmother used to take Carters little liver pills. I remember having to go into parts where stuff was made in huge vats.

does the place still exist?

Katerina no the Carters building is long gone now,

My father worked at carters then carter bond,he was a long distance lorry driver there then eventualy moved into the warehouse as he got tired of driving,he worked there for years 50s 60s 70s+,until he got made redundant,

Remember all the sweets and stuff he brought home our house was like a candy shop well there was six kids to keep happy.

I remember Lemfizz  cubes! They were my favourite sweetie when I was at primary school, in the mid-to-late 60'S.

You got two Lemfizz cubes for one old penny. They were great. You could either nibble on them as soon as you bought them -  and have that lovely, sharp, sherbety taste in your mouth.....or you could take them home, dissolve them in a glass of water and make a really nice fizzy drink.

My dad got paid on Thursdays, so he would give my brother and I an old threepenny bit every Friday morning. to spend on sweets on our way home from school.  ( That's 1and a half pence in today's money). I would always spend 2 of my pennies on 4 Lemfizz cubes - one each of Lemon, lime, orange and raspberry.  With the other penny, I would either buy a Penny Arrow bar (a sort of very thin strip of toffee wrapped in greaseproof paper) or I'd buy "Fruit Salad" or "Blackjack" chews, or "Sports Mixture" gums.....which all sold at 4 for an old penny!

Hah! Is it any wonder that I grew up to be overweight.....and with bad teeth!!

😁

My dad used to swear by Carter's Little Liver Pills, small white and globular in shape, came in little tubes. 

Edited by chrishall

Does anyone remember Jean Lyons who worked at Carter's in packing? 🙂

I worked at carters in 1945 I was 14 started in the gravy salt room my wage was 14 shillings   & one penny seven 70 pence in today’s money that was my weekly wage,went on to work in ink room eucalyptus &cough mixture bottling,health bench packing chocolate laxative it did’nt pack much of a punch sweets were on rationing we ate it as chocolate never kept us on the move.😳 I left there just before I was 15