Roundabout experiment;BrooK Hill

I'm still surprised 13 years after this thread was started that there are still no photos of the experiment when I'm certain I've seen one but don't recall where....

I think the council may have been partners with the University of Sheffield in the experiment. I remember seeeing film footage of it on a visit to the School of Architecture there in the eighties.

It was not the Council, nor I think the University.  I was a government organisation - can't remember it's name, but a friend of mine (Civil Servant) came up from London to work on the project.  

On 24/08/2019 at 19:38, Blanket said:

It was nicknamed Dunlop Island .I navigated it several times a day.the layout changed by the hour.

Yes - otherwise known as The Magic Roundabout. I remember it well,  October 1972....

On 24/08/2019 at 11:34, Lushcannon said:

I'm still surprised 13 years after this thread was started that there are still no photos of the experiment when I'm certain I've seen one but don't recall where....

The experiment was performed by the Road Traffic Laboratory.  Report here: https://trl.co.uk/reports/LR562.  Diagrams and photos.

Yes, that's the one.  At lot of the people concerned were staying at Matlock, I remember going out to visit a couple of times. 

On 04/09/2019 at 15:31, henrypond said:

The experiment was performed by the Road Traffic Laboratory.  Report here: https://trl.co.uk/reports/LR562.  Diagrams and photos.

Thanks for posting the link. That looks like a recipe for total chaos! Not obvious why there is a double decker bus apparently parked in the middle of the roundabout. Perhaps it tried to navigate round and got lost?

It was total chaos.  Some very angry drivers and some choosing to ignore the various obstructions (which changed every few days) and make their own way through.

On 10/09/2019 at 13:21, bluecanary said:

Thanks for posting the link. That looks like a recipe for total chaos! Not obvious why there is a double decker bus apparently parked in the middle of the roundabout. Perhaps it tried to navigate round and got lost?

If I recall correctly, I think the bus was used by those monitoring the experiment.

8 hours ago, TWhits said:

If I recall correctly, I think the bus was used by those monitoring the experiment.

When the bus was on the roundabout the mini islands weren't there....IIRC

Edited by Lushcannon

15 hours ago, Lushcannon said:

When the bus was on the roundabout the mini islands weren't there....IIRC

Mmm you could be right - I can't remember but just had this vague memory that the bus was something to do with those monitoring the island and experimenting with different layouts.  Could have been something I was told but that doesn't make it true.  Maybe someone else can enlighten us?