If not rescue what?

What about the irresponsible cat owners. I have just rescued 2 nursing mums and their 5 kittens and 3 older cats that I am not sure have done. All the animals I have been done and chipped and carry ID tags. The new arrivals will also be chipped and done when they are checked by RSPCA who know about the situation but are not coming to see the animals til 10 June.

If I can't find homes for the latest 3 that I have taken in then they also will be here forever and will also be done and chipped.

I have seen so many people have cats and not have them done that it makes me so cross.

It never fails to amaze me the cavalier attitude of some people towards their pets. A friend of mine took in a cat that the owner had left when they did a Council house swap. The original owner saying 'she didn't want it anymore' utter scum in my opinion.

Still back on topic, more ideas about alternatives to rescues?

It never fails to amaze me the cavalier attitude of some people towards their pets. A friend of mine took in a cat that the owner had left when they did a Council house swap. The original owner saying 'she didn't want it anymore' utter scum in my opinion.

Still back on topic, more ideas about alternatives to rescues?

You could do away with them altogether and so force the authorities to solve the problem. Only when they foot the higher end of the cost will they begin to understand and deal with the root cause.

This is an interesting thread and one maybe that I shouldn't be answering late at night. Especially as I have some very strong and very sad views on the subject of 'rescuing' whatever that term means to many people.

South Yorkshire and West and East Yorkshire too for that matter have very few of the National or large charities here. Most go in areas where wealthy people live - like North Yorkshire and where there are the prospect of legacies for the charities to survive in the future.

Everyone say 'rescue centre' this and 'rescue centre' that - they don't realise that behind the 'rescue centre' are usually just a bunch of caring, heartbroken people who are totally worn out trying to patch up shattered lives. In there purely because they see the fear and the pain and the heartbreak all the time. The stories and crying that I hear every single day from people would make even the toughest of you weep.

Evei I am with you - rescues are a 'bung' blocking a hole in an every leaking, if not pouring bucket. Without them however, who would take in that pitiful horrendously physically abused and attacked animal? Soon someone will have to answer it because rescues are a dying organisation. They will not be able to survive through this financial crisis. People don't support them - they expect miracles from them - without them having a budget, without them having an income. No business can function without money - and yet rescues somehow have to try. Vets charge rescues mostly full price. Some will give a slight discount - most don't - they pay the same as the public - which are hard to find when its rescues that have to pick up the pieces of the thrown away cases.

Please don't think the Govt. care. For goodness sake. Many councils will now simply put their strays to sleep because they can't afford the cost of keeping them, nor the huge hassle of trying to sort them out. Dead to them is the cheapest option. Some councils - like Nottingham for a good example - do care - their Dog Wardens are lovely to work with and if we were close to them - we could make a big difference - however - neglect, cruelty and abandonment in South Yorkshire is on the increase. Under the guise of 'financial hardship'.

We wonder how long we will survive for. As I'm sure many of the worn out people who run local rescues do. Working usually like us 7 days a week, trying to save lives from a list of a constant source. The future for animal welfare is bleak.

We cry out for sponsorship - for finances to keep us going - for our rescue to continue long after we are worn out - but to date - our cries are in vain. When the public phone and beg me for help - crying, I ask how often they have supported a rescue when they weren't in this mess? Never is the reply. Its a bit like the Blood Bank. If you don't put in - how can you expect to take out???

There is money still in our country - people could support animal welfare - but sadly - all that will happen is more and more people will turn to breed to make un-taxable money from pitiful pets until people and companies support their local animal welfares - the demise will be faster than you all think.

Its heartbreaking to see those faces and know - there will be no help for them.

I also believe educating people about dogs and how to look after them. To try and prevent the problem in the first place.

You can educate till you're blue in the face as many people are doing already. If folks choose to ignore that, as so many already do, where do you go then?

You can educate till you're blue in the face as many people are doing already. If folks choose to ignore that, as so many already do, where do you go then?

Education will stop a few. Bit like sex education for kids, majority take note and some don't care and will end up knocked up. To be honest I have little hope for animals when some humans can't even look after themselves. I would like to think they are a minority though! :suspect: Education is a slow burner. It can take generations to change attitudes.

Like I said in my original post there is more then just education. I am sure I mentioned, training/ vet fees/ support also? I think it has to be tackled from a number of angles. However I do believe re homing on it's own is not the answer.

Edited by Evei

Well said Rain , if only would come and see the numbers of dogs that are going for that last walk, we try to save as many as we can often not getting the chance to pick which we take.i have had cases, as im sure other rescues have , where we getthem save with only minuites to spare.I wish there was a quick solutio *as you do get tired & run down then on top of that like I have been assulted because of what I do.Then theres the imotional blackmail you get when you tell someone that you cant take their dogas your full.Sent from Samsung Mobile

This is why people switch off. All the hard done by rescues trying to tug at heartstrings in an effort to gain support. It doesn’t work that way.

For years you’ve been bleating on about how bad it is in this neck of Yorkshire for cruelty and abuse and it’s grown steadily worse. Credit crunch or not, a small minority treat animals like crap and you’re left to pick up the pieces.

Yes it’s sad, yes it’s heartbreaking and yes you’re all hard done by but the days when that rhetoric actually paid dividends are long gone. It’s a different world now, people have changed and they are more aware than you care to give credit for.

You’re a business wanting money yet all you do is repeatedly tell us how bad things are or you play the flip side and fill us with fur baby stories,

If you want to make change, get off your self important backsides and attract the money that will enable you to do it because your average Joe doesn’t have it anymore.

Organise a talk group for schools and for god sake treat people like adults. If this forum is an example of how you behave in the real world then it’s no wonder you’re struggling.

When there are no rescues left, the council will kill dogs that’s a fact, it has nothing to do with cheap options, it makes sense. Not enough people want or can afford to have dogs/pets so why would a council waste money on housing them?

on top of that like I have been assulted because of what I do.Then theres the imotional blackmail you get when you tell someone that you cant take their dogas your full.Sent from Samsung Mobile

I think this displays the type of people you are having to deal with. I personally think they are thick bullies.

If they did love the dog and are that desperate to rehome why can they not use rescues skills to advertise, promote and home check the dog but keep it at home in the meanwhile? This would save costs of kennels and time for the rescues so they can focus on rehoming. They are so selfish it annoys me! :rant: It is unfair as they are taking advantage of people.

I do like the idea that dogs have to be chipped to breeders and then them fined if a rescue has to look after the dog in the future. Like that idea!

I think a lot of people are becoming more educated about Rescues, their revenues & what the money is being spent on. Sometimes when you look closely at the submitted yearly accounts on The Charity Commission Website, what you find can be quite an eye opener. People are more likely to question what it is that these Rescues are doing with all our donations. I think in a lot of cases, that is why donations have dropped. You can throw all the money in the world at a charity, but if it is run inefficiently, inappropriately or wastefully, donators will stop giving.

Just as, for example, for many years I supported the Suncoast Seabird Sanctuary in Florida....then all this came out...

http://www.wfla.com/story/21200716/suncoast-seabird-sanctuary-faces-more-tax-trouble

So now I've switched support to this organization....

http://www.saveourseabirds.org/about-us/who-we-are/

Where hopefully my money has not been used to help purchase luxury yachts & beachfront property. :rant:

"We" (although i'm no longer on the committee) were allowing adopters take there dogs to our vets and then pay the bills - 3 years after we rehomed them. We even had them come back to us for behaviour training and kennnelling years after we rehomed the dogs.

Our chairwoman paid the bills. That eats into kennelling for other dogs.

You’re a business wanting money yet all you do is repeatedly tell us how bad things are or you play the flip side and fill us with fur baby stories,

If you want to make change, get off your self important backsides and attract the money that will enable you to do it because your average Joe doesn’t have it anymore.

Organise a talk group for schools and for god sake treat people like adults. If this forum is an example of how you behave in the real world then it’s no wonder you’re struggling.

local rescues are made up of people who care about animals, not business managers or event organisers. These are not businesses. If they were they'd all fold right now. Even a nice, well behaved, pet dog usually eats up more in kennelling fees than the donation for adoption covers... and that's without any vets bills

I share a view similar to Evei's though. I think there are a large number of nice, rehomable dogs are being pts because sick/injured/unruly dogs are occupying kennel spaces. There are too many people who wouldn't dream of having a rescue dog due to reputation of rescues, and that's for rescue to address

I don't approve of transporting dogs hundreds of miles (particularly from Ireland), and I don't approve of hip ops for six year old rottweilers. I also believe the blanket spay/neuter policy is costly and ineffective. Responsible people would have this done anyway (or supervise their pets properly)

If you feel so strongly about things like schools lectures Murphy Jnr, maybe you could talk to Rain Rescue about you going out and doing it for them

We can't even get people to uphold the obligation of their own offspring, legislation over pets will never happen.

The % of the population who see animals as a commodity is too vast and the number of pet lovers or pet homes is ever diminishing.

When you say 'we can't' my belief is we can, we just have to make the sanctions for non-compliance with laws sufficiently unappealing that it becomes a non option, whether that be children or animals. Societies can do almost anything they want, where's there's either legislation/buy-in/force/approbation/moral mores/incentives etc or a mix of the above. Where there's a will there's a way. Problem is there's no will.