If not rescue what?

I recall Evei posted on a thread I started titled 'Is the Pet section dying?' or something similar, that she didn't think rescue and re-homing was the answer to abandoned/abused/neglected animals. The thread was pulled so I can't check exactly what was said, but I'd be interested to hear people's views on rescues etc, and if folks don't think that's the right way to deal with the problem, what ideas they have to tackle with the seemingly endless problem of animals in dire need.

Rescues do a fantastic job. But i don't think they are the answer to abondoned/abused/neglected animals.

In my opinion, the answer is stricter laws on breeding/owning animals.

I don't think that rescue is the only way forwards either. If we stop all responsible breeding we'll be left with the irresponsibly bred pups, the ones born without health checks, vet care or good nutrition, because they won't stop being bred. Do we really want all of the dogs of our future to be bred in this way?

We need a core of healthy, happy, well bred and well cared for puppies who (hopefully) will never end up in rescue because they will spend their whole lives with a loving owner.

There needs to be a whole lot of education on what SHOULD be happening before we can try to enforce that.

If I recall correctly (and there's every chance I don't of course!) Evei said she didn't agree with rescues at all. I agree of course with the sentiments about education re ad hoc breeding etc but who/how is that education going to be achieved?

If I recall correctly (and there's every chance I don't of course!) Evei said she didn't agree with rescues at all. I agree of course with the sentiments about education re ad hoc breeding etc but who/how is that education going to be achieved?

And what will the content of the education be?

Is ad hoc just because it's a person with two dogs who want pups, or "professional" breeders who do it for a living.

I'm not sure either group is always the ideal.

Rescues can only pick up the pieces from irresponsable breeding & irresponsable owners im affraid . Like other rescue`s I struggle to find the answers ,letter after letter sent to various offices ,etc only to get no replies .

I personally would like to see that all breeders should be registerd & also have regular checks done on the stock they are breeding (re health, temperment ,etc) .The problem there is how to police it & enforce it,As always when you put legistration in place you will force breeding underground ,as such,by the people that breed for greed, so its hard for anyone to say which way to go with the growing problem , but what we can do is carry on getting small changes made and hope !.It makes my blood boil when people give the excuse I cant afford them anymore , It can cost as little as a pound a week to feed a dog, and re vet bills if you are on benifits theres ways to get help.

Personally, I would like to see the larger Animal Charities invest more money into LOWER COST or even FREE spaying & neutering. I honestly wish that anyone could walk into an RSPCA Clinic or the PDSA & get help with spaying their pet. OK some people would take advantage of the system...but it would mean one more less female giving birth to more puppies & kittens when the rehoming shelters are already at breaking point. I also think some sort of 'reward' system for bringing in your pet for spay/neuter may also encourage the reluctant or lazy owners to get their animal done.

I know..it's a pipe dream & unrealistic :(

Hello

I did not start the thread.

I did put the comment that I do not think rescues should exist in the form that they do, however there still needs to be rescues in a different form.

I don't like no kill rescues some dogs in my opinion would be better off pts then spending a lifetime in kennels as they are too dangerous to rehome. I also think that the way some rescues work allow people to think it is ok to give up dangerous dogs without telling the truth, or that it is ok to give up a dog as they will eventually get rehomed, it makes it easier for them to take the easier way out. I'm up for rescues re homing dogs that owners have died, become ill, not because someone is bored of their pet. Maybe if people knew that death was going to be the 100% outcome for their dog if they gave it up they might try a bit harder to sort out problems themselves or re home independently, without putting the onus on rescues.

I think rescues would be better spending the money supporting people with dogs that are struggling, be it helping buy pet food or vet treatment. Maybe someone wants to give up a dog due to behavior issues and some support and training sessions would help. Or maybe someone ill or elderly needs help walking the dog.

I also believe educating people about dogs and how to look after them. To try and prevent the problem in the first place.

Hello

I did not start the thread.

I did put the comment that I do not think rescues should exist in the form that they do, however there still needs to be rescues in a different form.

I don't like no kill rescues some dogs in my opinion would be better off pts then spending a lifetime in kennels as they are too dangerous to rehome. I also think that the way some rescues work allow people to think it is ok to give up dangerous dogs without telling the truth, or that it is ok to give up a dog as they will eventually get rehomed, it makes it easier for them to take the easier way out. I'm up for rescues re homing dogs that owners have died, become ill, not because someone is bored of their pet. Maybe if people knew that death was going to be the 100% outcome for their dog if they gave it up they might try a bit harder to sort out problems themselves or re home independently, without putting the onus on rescues.

I think rescues would be better spending the money supporting people with dogs that are struggling, be it helping buy pet food or vet treatment. Maybe someone wants to give up a dog due to behavior issues and some support and training sessions would help. Or maybe someone ill or elderly needs help walking the dog.

I also believe educating people about dogs and how to look after them. To try and prevent the problem in the first place.

I know you didn't start the thread. Interesting thoughts.

Rescues provide a valuable service however i have to admit from first hand experience some volunteers do it just to make sure they get through the pearly gates when there time is up. It would benefit more rescues to adopt a training and behaviour programme with a newly rehomed dog.

Other measures i often consider might help..

1 :dog breeders should be made to chip the dog to them forever before it is sold.

2: if the ownership fails it goes back to the people on the chip

3:failure to do either should be a criminal offence.

4: PDSA should operate on 1 dog per home for free treatment for those on benefits.

5:non destroy dog rescues should be encouraged to change their policy

6:council rehome fees should be dropped for first offences and owners issued with free neutering etc -( i'll pay extra council tax.)

What about the irresponsible cat owners. I have just rescued 2 nursing mums and their 5 kittens and 3 older cats that I am not sure have done. All the animals I have been done and chipped and carry ID tags. The new arrivals will also be chipped and done when they are checked by RSPCA who know about the situation but are not coming to see the animals til 10 June.

If I can't find homes for the latest 3 that I have taken in then they also will be here forever and will also be done and chipped.

I have seen so many people have cats and not have them done that it makes me so cross.

I to regard the no kill policy an unhelpful one regardless of temperament. Rescues are stuck in a time warp and need to think seriously about changing and I'm with Evie on much of what she says. It is too easy to hand a dog over; unfortunately it is breed/type dependant as well which to me detracts from rescue/sanctuary and focuses on resale.