Refused car insurance due to your post code ?

Always get quotes through an online broker like moneysupermarket, because the insurers reserve their best offers for the competitive sites. I approached Co-op direct, just to see, and the quote was £60 higher than when I got their quote via moneysupermarket.

The thing is you can`t actually talk to anyone doing that ! It takes much longer and you can`t easily and quickly ask questions about "odd" points of the quote or the cover. I got a cheap quote using Go Compare but wanted to ask some questions about the policy so I phoned up Aviva (the quoted company), incredibly they said they couldn`t answer my questions I had to do it all Online ! And if that`s good customer service I`m a Lancastrian.......

---------- Post added 28-05-2013 at 22:35 ----------

In the early 90s i signed a lease for a unit in s9 never thinking insurance would be a problem but it was,no company would quote me for business use, turned out every other unit in the block had been broken into.I was broken into in various ways four times ,the last time ram raided.

My shop on Langsett Rd has never been broken into and, apart from minor damage which I never bothered claiming for, neither my car nor the van (parked round here for the last 17 years) have ever required a claim. Don`t forget we`re only talking car insurance here and these days cars are virtually impossible to nick (if you haven`t got the keys), so I really don`t understand why some insurance companies won`t even quote for cover.

Edited by Justin Smith

Interesting - I'm in S6 and my car insurance is more than the car cost me to buy.

Another thing to watch for is that fully comp can be cheaper than third party only. The reason being that people with third party only are more likely to claim!

Interesting - I'm in S6 and my car insurance is more than the car cost me to buy.

Another thing to watch for is that fully comp can be cheaper than third party only. The reason being that people with third party only are more likely to claim!

Ehhh? People with third party can't claim it's only the third party that can claim from them.

^^

Exactly what I thought when I heard it :loopy:

Perhaps they meant that people with 3rd party only are more likely to have an accident.

Many car insurance companies won't touch me as I live in S9.... I was told there was 'too many claims from that postcode'????

My insurance was with Aviva last year and it was just short of £1000 for the year (only 3 years no claims as only been driving 3 years - I'm 32) That was fine last year however, I got a renewal quote of £1400 with one more years no claims and one more years experience. I decided to go to a comparison site and the person I went with quoted £585 for the year fully comp!

I queried with Aviva, they said they'd lower by £50 and £25 M&S vouchers. So........ £800 or £50 with £25 vouchers? Hmm........ needless to say I went elsewhere.

They said it was my postcode as well. Weird as I live in a nice area of S11 and haven't heard of any car crime in my street nor are we a flooding risk.

The reason being that people with third party only are more likely to claim!

Rubbish!

Could people who use these comparison sites please check the terms and conditions of the 'cheap end' insurance quotes.

A friend of mine was done for 'driving without insurance' using his partners car with her consent because his policy covered him for his vehicle only. He had been driving other people's cars and vans for over 20 years on the 'any other motor vehicle with the owner's consent' clause and the one time he was stopped was after he had gone with a 'lowest price' policy.

The other clause to check is what happens if you have a 'write off claim'. Some of these cheap policies cancel your insurance if you accept their offer. My cousin got a rubbish offer under her comprehensive policy for theft but needed something to replace her stolen car. She bought a cheap runaround and rang her insurance company to change the details. She was told that her policy had been ended on the day she accepted the write off offer and if she wanted to insure the new car she would have to take out a year's new insurance, which with the claim would be over £800.

Now if she had not mentioned her stolen car and just bought the new one and paid the £45 'admin fee', she would have been £500 better off.

This is a scandal and needs looking into.

Check your policies! ;)

A friend of mine was done for 'driving without insurance' using his partners car with her consent because his policy covered him for his vehicle only. He had been driving other people's cars and vans for over 20 years on the 'any other motor vehicle with the owner's consent' clause and the one time he was stopped was after he had gone with a 'lowest price' policy.

This is common as most insurance companies are taking 'driving other cars' out of their policies. I ring them and check every year it's included :)

You need to check your cover whoever you go with - price comparison website or direct!

My Saga policy covers me in other peoples' cars (with permission) even though it's 3rd party only.

My Saga policy covers me in other peoples' cars (with permission) even though it's 3rd party only.

But be aware that other car has to be insured by who ever owns it

Check how risky your postcode is here= http://www.motorcarinsuranceuk.co.uk/post-code-ratings.php#S

They are listed on a scale A-F.

A = Good Post code/Low Risk

F = Bad Post code/High Risk

* = Motorbikes need to be locked in a secure garage

Refer = You need to speak to the car insurance company

S Sheffield

1-3, 5, 7-8 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Refer

4, 9, 11, 13-14, 60-61 . . . . . . . . F *

6, 10, 12, 20, 35-36 . . . . . . . . . . E *

17, 21, 25-26, 63, 70-71 . . . . . . . D *

18, 32-33, 41, 43, 62, 64-66, 72-75, 80-81 . . .C

40, 42, 45 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .B