Fly Fishing Chat Patterns Beats fisheries

Just wanted to start a thread just on fly fishing in genral.. as you know im just getting into fly fishing so know very little on local beats on the don that offers newbies like me to have a decent amout of room..lol.also please post the patterns that have worked for you recently. So far ive waded the strech on samon pastures had 2 good size brownies out few smaller all on (i think) parrachutes? and ant fly? i heard theres some good streches at outibridge and middlewood any info on where to acces these would be great.

Hi

I have fly fished & coarse fished for 40 years + I have coarse fished but not fly fished the Don, most of my river fly fishing is done on the Derbyshire Derwent around Matlock / Darley Dale but the same patterns will work most places ( when the time is right).

In addition to those you have listed I would also have a dabble with Klinkhammers ( I prefer olive coloured) fished in the surface film - my most successful river fly bar none when fish are active on the surface. You might also like to try something like a small sedge dry pattern.

If there are no fish on the top then try a black & peacock spider or a Goldhead nymph of some description - when it gets to The autumn try any weighted nymph with pink colour in it for Grayling.

There is a really good DVD called 3 flies & the river Don - a really nice guy called Paul Sissons (Chesterfield based I think) fishes the Don around Oughtibridge & shows you great techniques & catches loads using just 3 flies

Just Google Three Flies & the River Don

Hope that helps

Andy

to access the river at middlewood/oughtibridge go up claywheels lane into beeley wood.

however, due to building work outside abbey stainless, parking is very awkward at the moment. the little car park is full of rubble and the verges are taken up with diggers etc.

having said that, you can spend a few hours fishing this stretch walking upstream to oughtibridge and back. there are plenty of shallow pools ideal for wading and some deeper ones to drop a fly in.

In the 60's my Dad used to fly fish the sheaf from mill houses park up, near where they play cricket.