Working. Does it mean you can't have a cat?

Yrs ago a neighbour of mine took my 2 cats with them when they moved. Their argument was that I couldn't look after them because I worked (when I tracked them down and confronted them that was) He was a 'famous' footballer it turned out, and after a nine month battle which I fought myself whilst they used expensive lawyers, I won. Wont go into the where's and why fores here, but I see cats on here for re-homing, because the owner works, and I don't get it. I have 2 rescue cats who are lovely, happy, totally contented individuals that 'cope' with the fact I work.

My question is, are most cats perfectly happy being left at home for 8 hrs ++ a day, with water, food and comfy places to sleep and lounge, given that's all many of them do for much of the day anyway? Even my Rosie, who's a very active cat seems to cope admirably with hours of inactivity in summer, which is her most active time, and in winter inside chilling is what she does most of the time.

Discuss!!

I have 3 cats, and I work full time. They all seem happy enough. In the morning they wake me up at 6 am and demand attention and food. Sometimes one or two of them will go out when I go to work. (usually not though) They wake up and say hello when I get home, they follow me around for a while, then go back to sleep, two of them go out for a while, then come back in and sleep. I go to bed, they sleep.

I've been off today and guess what ? they have slept practically all day.

To be honest as long as they are fed, litter tray cleaned and they are worshipped daily I don't think they really care whether I'm there or not :)

Wow! What a story. The cheeky devils. I think cats are perfectly happy left for a working day as long as they have access to food, water, litter trays and a few catnip toys lying around the place. And plenty of attention when you get home! Whether they have outdoor access is questionable (in my opinion that is!) - some people would worry about whether their cats might get hurt or into trouble in some way and there'd be no-one around to help them.

---------- Post added 27-05-2013 at 20:52 ----------

I've been off today and guess what ? they have slept practically all day.

To be honest as long as they are fed, litter tray cleaned and they are worshipped daily I don't think they really care whether I'm there or not :)

Both of those things sound about right for cats!

Of course you can and the same goes for dogs.

Surely cats are animals that are suited to people that work as they sleep for about 18 hours every day anyway.

Whereas I believe it is cruel to have a dog if you leave it alone all day, for this reason I don't have a dog, even though I am a dog person.

Wow! What a story. .

Yes it made national news, because part of my strategy to get my cats back was to embarrass the culprit by taking it to the press! But I agree with you, if they have a comfortable, enriched place to be they're more than happy to sleep for hours a day, do their own thing and enjoy your company when your're home.

and enjoy your company when your're home.

Or not! As per post 2!

---------- Post added 27-05-2013 at 22:07 ----------

Wont go into the where's and why fores here, but I see cats on here for re-homing, because the owner works, and I don't get it.

No, neither do I. I hope it's not just an excuse to get rid of their cat.

I don't think that it is OK to try to take on a single kitten with no cat company if you work full time, but an adult cat, or two kittens, or a kitten into a home where friendly adult cats already live should all be fine.

I've seen single kittens grow into deeply disturbed adult cats that completely fail to bond or function after they were given no guidance or social skills as a kitten by an owner who put them in a flat by themselves for 18 hours a day. The one who suffered the most and who ended up in the shelter with no understanding of appropriate interaction was eventually put to sleep because her mental health was so severely affected. That person clearly didn't have any understanding of the needs of a growing kitten who would in the wild be around her mum and a wider social colony for her first year.

I guess it depends a lot on the cat. Some just wouldn't cope being left to their own devices all day whereas others (mine, for example) just don't seem to care! She has a small window open downstairs so she can come and go as she pleases. She quite often greets me outside on the garden path mewing at me as if she's been abandoned and left outside all day but there will be a warm patch on the settee where she's been asleep for hours! I make sure she gets her daily worshipping in the evenings and it works well for us.

She even brings me lovely presents to make me proud. The last one was a KFC...

So no, working or being out a lot does not mean you can't have a cat, as long as you have the right cat.

I guess it depends a lot on the cat.

I think this is the key, some cats and dogs cope fine, other don't. Problem is until you put them in the position you just don't know!

I feel incredibly lucky that my dog can cope, it is not ideal working full time with a dog but if you are willing to put the work in it can be done. Problem is people get in from work, are tired and just cannot be bothered.

I have always had cats , we presently have 5 here they are all good friends and we are in and out all day but before i did this pet caring for a job , i was a full time nanny where I was away for possibly 6 hours a day , I could take my dogs with me but would never have taken the cats . My cats were fine we had a cat flap so they could chose to come and go which worked well .

I don't think that it is OK to try to take on a single kitten with no cat company if you work full time, but an adult cat, or two kittens, or a kitten into a home where friendly adult cats already live should all be fine..

I agree with you there. I took on a single kitten once, she was 12 weeks old, and I took a week off work to help settle her in. All was well until I went back to work and it became apparent by the desperate greeting I got when I got home, that she was lonely. I managed to find a little rescue kitten, who was about 6 weeks, and I was his 4th home! A couple of days growling on her part, and they became the best of friends.