New Cinema on The Moor - Light

I hadn't thought of that to be honest. You mean it's cleverly designed to look rubbish? :o

It has probably been deliberately designed like that to fit in with the other shoddy buildings.

Has anyone else even observed this wonky balcony?

No. Which just supposes the "one person pontificating on a forum" theory.

Has anyone else even observed this wonky balcony?

:)

There's some pics from Mr Alco's recent undercover surveillance footage here. ;)

There's some pics from Mr Alco's recent undercover surveillance footage here. ;)

The panel gaps are copied from a Morris Marina, which incidentally had a life expectancy of around 5 years before heading for the giant scrapyard in the sky.

Doesn't look wonky to me.

Doesn't look wonky to me.

Thank God for that, it's not shoddy workmanship after all! :clap:

By a strange freak of coincidence both my my retina and camera suffer exactly the same visual distortion, making parallel lines appear tapered as if, in this pic, the front panel appears to be leaning off at a non-perpendicular angle. It obviously isn't if you say so.

Won't I look the fool now when Bowmer Kirkland (Head office, Belper) get round to reading/replying to my email? :o

In the meantime, the camera lens will be going off to be re-ground by Carl Zeiss (I hate shoddy workmanship, don't you?) and I'll book in for corrective optical surgery. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

You don't seem to be bothered either given you haven't expressed your concerns through the proper channels. Cake, have, eat.

If Alcoblog complains through official channels then there is a danger that it might get fixed, while initially he would feel some sense of satisfaction this is nothing compared the pleasure he will get from the next two decades of persistent complaining to any poor individual within ear shot.

I'm always reminded of the late Terry Pratchett

“The phrase 'Someone ought to do something' was not, by itself, a helpful one. People who used it never added the rider 'and that someone is me'.”

― Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Doubtful. Why fill in all the joints if they're intending to replace them?

Anyway, the balcony panels are just very poorly fitted … if the builders had made the joints parallel and square in the first place, there'd be no problem. Fixing things to a steel frame is hardly rocket science (especially if you're aware of shimming and spacers like most competent builders).

I helped an architect friend fix pre-cast panels to his new self-build house in Monmouth last year using a large version of tile spacers. It was bang on and straightforward.

What is doubtful is that you know anything of the particular fixing method required for these panels. You helped your mate fix some different panels to a different structure. Irrelevant. Yet your first response is accusations of shoddy workmanship.

We don't know the reasons for the ill fitting panels, we don't know it wont be captured somewhere on a snagging list and fixed in due course. It's hardly likely to be on the critical path for completion of the project.

Saw Fast and Furious 8 at Sheffield's new Light Cinema last night - first showing open to the public.

Despite a few teething issues with the film I was quite impressed with the facilities - comfy, spacious seats and a decent choice of food which didn't seem quite as extortionately priced as the big chains.

Worth a look now it's finally complete.

Oh dear

[New Sheffield cinema gets off to a rocky start]

Odeon is a dive. That whole area is being redeveloped.

I welcome a new cinema on The Moor.

I agree. I think it will do very well. Centertainment and Meadowhall are not central.