New Cinema on The Moor - Light

This will be great, the moor needs this with a mix of shops. Parking is a red herring, there is so much around and about to meet demand. Thousands of empty spaces on a daily basis

People just LOVE to put things down.

One minute moaning that town should have more, that its only Greggs and pound shops, that it ought to have more to do to make a day in town an attraction. Then the next minute when exactly that is planned, tutting "what do they want to do that for, silly idea it'll never work"

Maybe now people prefer Centertainment. But why does that have to be the case? I don't particularly like Centertainment but I will go for the cinema as the Odeon is a tatty outdated place. But lets look at Hull and the St Stephens centre. They got that bang right - next to a proper transport interchange where you can jump off a train, easily find your bus, or park your car - whichever you choose. With a modern cinema on the upper level. And it works, and it's not because there aren't similar out of town cinemas with neighbouring food/entertainment venues.

So what's wrong with having similar in a much larger city?

It wont do very well whether its odeon or not. People prefer centertainment or meadowhall for the cinema normally.

Mr Positive.

Speak for yourself, I as well as many others avoid Meadowhell like the plague, the showroom performs well as does the Odeon, this sounds like a good kick start to revitalise the moor, especially if it is followed by a few restaurants.

Smacks at a bit of double standards. We wanted a cinema complex at Wath and all the other local councils ganged up to object in an effort to protect their own cinemas. We are eventually going to have one in Rotherham town centre now though, so the sheffield ones may see a dip in sales when two new ones appear.

Re parking at centertainment, if you want to park in front of the main door you will have a problem, i have never ever ever had problems there, i park round the back and there are always loads of spaces, just a two min walk, perhaps thats too much though, who knows?

I'd use it, I hate centertainment, you can never get parked. The one on the Moor will be more accessible for people living south of the city.

In the 12 years I have been going to centertainment with someone who has a car or driving there myself, I have never once had a problem finding a space. Takes a while at times and sometimes may mean you park near Burger King but still... can't understand people who say they can never get parked!

Anyway... I wouldn't use a cinema in the City just because I like the Centertainment and have an Unlimited card but hope it does well.

I would go to a cinema on the Moor - and I would take the bus there.

I would go to a cinema on the Moor - and I would take the bus there.

Same here, I don't drive and cannot believe how lazy some people are, get the bus, save a few quid and some fuel.

People prefer centertainment or meadowhall for the cinema normally.

Car drivers certainly do.

I hadn't noticed the city hall, or the Crucible failing because of a lack of car parking

The two Sheffield theaters pretty much have a monopoly. If you want to go to the theater, you pretty much have go go there.

Ditto the City Hall. Not every show suits the size of the Arena or can draw in those crowds.

A building that costs millions of pounds to build to charge £2 to show films that everyone has seen.

In the days before videos and DVDs, when not every film automatically made it to TV within a couple of years, this used to be a viable business model.

The old Classic cinema in Fitzalan Square used to show the likes of Gone with the Wind and Doctor Zhivago.

Gone with the Wind (1939) didn't receive it's British TV premiere until 1982, and didn't appear on VHS video until 1985 [LINK]

So before then, if you wanted to see it, the only place you could would be cinemas like the Classic.

People just LOVE to put things down.

One minute moaning that town should have more, that its only Greggs and pound shops, that it ought to have more to do to make a day in town an attraction. Then the next minute when exactly that is planned, tutting "what do they want to do that for, silly idea it'll never work"

Maybe now people prefer Centertainment. But why does that have to be the case? I don't particularly like Centertainment but I will go for the cinema as the Odeon is a tatty outdated place. But lets look at Hull and the St Stephens centre. They got that bang right - next to a proper transport interchange where you can jump off a train, easily find your bus, or park your car - whichever you choose. With a modern cinema on the upper level. And it works, and it's not because there aren't similar out of town cinemas with neighbouring food/entertainment venues.

So what's wrong with having similar in a much larger city?

Agree - even with parking it can work. Leeds have a cinema in The Light in the city centre, and another out near Kirkstall like Centertainment. Both work.

The key is attracting a food outlet to the Moor - Nandos or Pizza Express. Without the food the cinema will fail. The Moor needs to be transformed into a decent vibrant evening venue.

Agree - even with parking it can work. Leeds have a cinema in The Light in the city centre, and another out near Kirkstall like Centertainment. Both work.

The key is attracting a food outlet to the Moor - Nandos or Pizza Express. Without the food the cinema will fail. The Moor needs to be transformed into a decent vibrant evening venue.

TGI Friday's or Hard Rock Cafe?

TGI Friday's or Hard Rock Cafe?

Who cares?

I wouldn't mind if they opened a shop selling clothing made from kittens.

The economy needs stimulating and we cant be fussy. There's 1000's of people with giro's burning holes in their tracksuits.

I'd use it, I hate centertainment, you can never get parked. The one on the Moor will be more accessible for people living south of the city.

You need to look harder, I've never had a problem. That is unless you mean you can't park right outside which is the only place where some people will look.