New Cinema on The Moor - Light

Just tried the new cinema so thought I'd write a bit of a review.

Took my daughter to see Peppa Pig which would get a 1/10 lol. Just a few normal Peppa Pig episodes interspersed with creepy Peppa puppets chatting to the audience.

More importantly the cinema. The rooms are approx. 50 seaters, with very comfy armchair style recliners. The screen itself gives a great image and the sound quality is very good. The safety lighting (on the steps etc) is angled in such a way that you can't see it when sitting, watching the film so doesn't cause a distraction. Also the fire exit lighting isn't distracting (which it so often can be at the cinema). The foyer is bright, clean and modern with a good selection of hot and cold snacks, and drinks. Sadly the prices are still 'cinema prices' So it's quite expensive. We didn't try the small bar/restaurant area so won't comment on that.

The staff were very friendly and helpful which makes a really nice change compared to other Sheffield cinemas.

The Curzon was our favourite cinema previously but I prefer this one now.

I haven't looked into it but if they also do 'arty' style films and classics, as well as weekend kids clubs like the showroom cinema I'll be coming here a lot more often.

The area with the restaurants, Nando's, gourmet burger etc is in a very unfinished state so wouldn't be fair to comment. It's still mor like a building site and is freezing as it's open to the element.

Tl;dr very much recommended and potentially the best cinema in Sheffield.

It's still more like a building site and is freezing as it's open to the elements.

I suspect they'll end up using outdoor-type heating elements during the winter months.

What about the temperature inside the auditorium itself? Was it warmer?

I was assuming it'd be enclosed when the building work is done. Yep nice and warm when you get into the cinema complex

Cinema opened last Friday. Zizzis, Pizza Express, Gourmet Burger Co all open, Nandos opening soon. 3 (I think) empty units still to let. The restaurant area won't be enclosed, but all of the restaurants are. Not been to see a film, but I was impressed with the general layout and ambience, and liked the Green Room - the small bar at the entrance to the cinema

Quick comparison of the prices..

Based on next Monday teatime to see Beauty and the beast..

Prices are adult / child

Curzon - £ 8.50 / £ 5.50

Odeon - £ 5.50 / £ 5.50

Light - £ 9.45 / £ 7.45

Cineworld - £ 11.50 / £ 8.00 (you can get a discount booking online)

Vue - £ 9.29 / £ 7.29

So it looks like they have pitched at Meadowhall prices levels but no free parking .... and just awful dining options. Zizzi , Nandonts , Pizza Express and "gourmet" burger ? How disappointing.

I will keep going to the Odeon. I did a quick check on peak showings (Sat afternoon). The Odeon is still £ 5.50. The others add around another quid.

Prices are adult / child

Curzon - £ 8.50 / £ 5.50

Odeon - £ 5.50 / £ 5.50

Light - £ 9.45 / £ 7.45

Vue - £ 9.29 / £ 7.29

So it looks like they have pitched at Meadowhall prices levels but no free parking .... and just awful dining options. Zizzi , Nandonts , Pizza Express and "gourmet" burger ? How disappointing.

I will keep going to the Odeon. I did a quick check on peak showings (Sat afternoon). The Odeon is still £ 5.50. The others add around another quid.

Or £5 (and free parking) at the best cinema in the area: http://www.penistoneparamount.co.uk/index.php

Is that still open? Wonderful old cinema.

Thriving.

With the spread of multiplex sausage factories, there's more demand than ever for a more civilised/luxury experience.

just awful dining options. Zizzi , Nandonts , Pizza Express and "gourmet" burger ? How disappointing.

Disappointing? We are talking about The Moor here...

A few years ago I would have laughed if you had suggested the likes of Nandos or Zizzi would open up on the Moor.. let alone a bleeding cinema!

Edited by Puggie

Prices are adult / child

Curzon - £ 8.50 / £ 5.50

Odeon - £ 5.50 / £ 5.50

Light - £ 9.45 / £ 7.45

Vue - £ 9.29 / £ 7.29

Not everything is about bloody price you know...

Not everything is about bloody price you know...

For me when I look at booking tickets to visit the cinema then it is usually about price and even though it is dated and not as high spec as the others we usually end up going to The Odeon based on price alone. For a family of four the price is significantly cheaper going there.

My husband did take our children to The Light on Friday and they all had nothing but praise for the venue. They went to the kids early showing which was the cheaper tickets for an older film.