New Cinema on The Moor - Light

Maybe, just maybe - and I know this is a radical thought - but maybe the contractors, structural engineers, architects and building inspectors know more than you and that's how it's meant to be?

I hadn't thought of that to be honest. You mean it's cleverly designed to look rubbish? :o

As for your last point … I have no intention whatsoever of going there.
That'll show 'em

I hadn't thought of that to be honest. You mean it's cleverly designed to look rubbish? :o

Maybe some panels were made incorrectly and new ones are coming? Maybe it's on a snagging list somewhere and they are carrying on with other works. You know, like what happens with most engineering projects.

Maybe some panels were made incorrectly and new ones are coming? Maybe it's on a snagging list somewhere and they are carrying on with other works. You know, like what happens with most engineering projects.

Doubtful. Why fill in all the joints if they're intending to replace them?

Anyway, the balcony panels are just very poorly fitted … if the builders had made the joints parallel and square in the first place, there'd be no problem. Fixing things to a steel frame is hardly rocket science (especially if you're aware of shimming and spacers like most competent builders).

I helped an architect friend fix pre-cast panels to his new self-build house in Monmouth last year using a large version of tile spacers. It was bang on and straightforward.

Anyway, the balcony panels are just very poorly fitted … if the builders had made the joints parallel and square in the first place, there'd be no problem. Fixing things to a steel frame is hardly rocket science (especially if you're aware of shimming and spacers like most competent builders).

I helped an architect friend fix pre-cast panels to his new self-build house in Monmouth last year using a large version of tile spacers. It was bang on and straightforward.

You're mad you are :)

This will annoy you for the rest of your life, if you let it (assuming the building lasts as long as you :hihi:)

- I'd try and dilute this annoyance slightly by just looking down The Moor and thinking that it is all post war <removed> tat architecture.

Edited by nikki-red

This will annoy you for the rest of your life, if you let it (assuming the building lasts as long as you :hihi:)

- I'd try and dilute this annoyance slightly by just looking down The Moor and thinking that it is all post war <removed> tat architecture.

Good point *-ash-*, just replace like for like :). A lot of the Moor was destroyed in the war and hastily rebuilt on a shoestring budget. Strangely enough though, if you look at some of those buildings, the build quality is much superior (facade wise).

Anyway, I'm finished on this particular subject … most people appear not to be at all bothered. :rolleyes:

Good point *-ash-*, just replace like for like :). A lot of the Moor was destroyed in the war and hastily rebuilt on a shoestring budget. Strangely enough though, if you look at some of those buildings, the build quality is much superior (facade wise).

Anyway, I'm finished on this particular subject … most people appear not to be at all bothered. :rolleyes:

You don't seem to be bothered either given you haven't expressed your concerns through the proper channels. Cake, have, eat.

If Alcoblog complains through official channels then there is a danger that it might get fixed, while initially he would feel some sense of satisfaction this is nothing compared the pleasure he will get from the next two decades of persistent complaining to any poor individual within ear shot.

If Alcoblog complains through official channels then there is a danger that it might get fixed, while initially he would feel some sense of satisfaction this is nothing compared the pleasure he will get from the next two decades of persistent complaining to any poor individual within ear shot.

:huh:

But the whole point of Mr Alco's argument, as I understand it, is that it shouldn't be necessary for a concerned member of the public to have to bring matters like this to the attention of those who are in a position to do something about it!

These are issues that appear obvious to the 'untrained eye' and should have been spotted by someone whose job it is to spot these types of things.

If it doesn't get fixed then either it's probably already been accepted to be within the 'tolerances' expected for this sort of thing (however unlikely that may seem)... or someone is not doing their job correctly...

... and if it's the latter, then it makes you worry a bit about what sort of shoddy workmanship has been carried out in those areas of the building that we can't see! :suspect:

Or, it is perfectly fine and one person pontificating on a forum doesnt make him an expert on building regs and control.

Has anyone else even observed this wonky balcony?