New Cinema on The Moor - Light

Nothing to do with Light.

If they invest thats a good thing, but as they have never bothered in the past 20 years and have let the cinema decline into a run down joke, then I wouldnt be holding my breath that somehow Sheffield has become an important profit centre for them and they care about cutsomers. It's a shame the one at barkers Pool was closed. Odeon have a poor reputation which has left many preferring to go the extra distance to centretainment. In contrast Light cinemas have a great reputation both in terms of customer service and cinmea experience.

I dont think people combine going to the theatre with a trip to the cinema.

The new development will have its own bars and restaurant, but as I pointed out its less than 5-10 minutes walk from West street, Division street, London Road etc which are considerably more substantial and busier in terms of pubs, bars and restaurants. Its also surrounded by thousands of people who live in the city centre and can walk there.

As for the advantage of the bus station, then I believe people normally get off a bus at the bus stop close to where they want to go to. If you want to go to the Moor you get off at the Moor and not the bus station.

How often do you go to the cinema wellyman?

How often do you use the Odeon?

You have backed yourself into a corner haven't you and are now desperate to try to rubbish anyone who spots an alternative.

Odeon didn't need to spend money. They weren't trying to compete because there was no other cinema in the city. If there was the situation changes. If you had a business that started to loose trade to a rival you would do something to reverse that trend.

I love your suggestion that folks going to the cinema aren't going to the theatre the same night. That is about as lame as it gets. The point is that the night life infrastructure that exists in that area is built up for the cinema and theatre trade. They offer pre theatre deals. Silversmith's is a top notch restaurant which lives on that trade.

Just keep telling yourself that Odeon have no idea how to run a business and everything will be alright. The reality is Odeon have been very successful for decades. They know how to run cinemas and how to compete in the market. If they aren't spending money on the cinema now it is perhaps because they don't need to YET. But if they see competition that moves things along.

To answer your question. No I don't use the Odeon very often. I use the cinemas down the east end. They are more convenient as they provide parking. But if I were to come into town on the bus or tram the stops would be close by. So all things being equal I'd use a spruced up Odeon.

How often have you used the new cinema? You seem to speak very highly of a place that you've never seen.

PS... Our local boozer didn't seem to get more than a lick of paint for a century or more. But once a Wetherspoon opened up down the road the place had a makeover within 6 months and now has a rack of 6 handpulled ales and a refurbed kitchen. Why do you think that was?

Edited by wellyman

That must be a very worrying thought for anyone contemplating investing a few £million in a new cinema. For all the Odeon's faults it is in a prime location with bars and restaurants all around. It is in a part of town where there is something happening at night.

It must have occured to Odeon cinemas that if they are facing competition for town centre trade then they have to chuck in the towel or do a refurb. A refurbed Odeon brought up to date in a far better part of the nighttime scene could really put the kibosh on a new development in a part of town cut off from where folks actually go.

It does seem unlikely that odeon's owners are going to roll over and die just cus a new player has come onto there pach.

That must be a very worrying thought for anyone contemplating investing a few £million in a new cinema. For all the Odeon's faults it is in a prime location with bars and restaurants all around. It is in a part of town where there is something happening at night.

It must have occured to Odeon cinemas that if they are facing competition for town centre trade then they have to chuck in the towel or do a refurb. A refurbed Odeon brought up to date in a far better part of the nighttime scene could really put the kibosh on a new development in a part of town cut off from where folks actually go.

The main strip for a night out in Sheffield is West Street and Division Street, the new cinema is closer. The Odeon is close to the university which has a couple of bars and there are restaurants that have built up around St Paul's but it's slim pickings really. Of the two I'd rather have the moor site but the difference is trivial the venues are in walking distance of each other, I'd love to see the Odeon revamp but it's all still on speculation, I'm not convinced they'll bother.

Don't the uni own the site the Odeon is on? they might want it back.

The Odeon is a dive, it should have shut years ago.

I'd hardly call Arundel gate the centre of a night out in Sheffield. There are a few bars around, it's a short walk up to the peace gardens, but the new cinema will be about the same distance the other side.

I don't think either location is better/worse really, I'm not sure proximity to pubs is of particular interest to cinemas.

---------- Post added 24-06-2014 at 22:04 ----------

Surely Odeon have been competing with cineworld and vue. That's certainly where I take my cinema spending. I tried the Odeon once and that was enough.

There's a lot of splitting of hairs in the last page or so of this thread over which is closer to the nightlife, Odeon or the new cinema. I think Odeon is on average around 3.7metres closer to city centre pubs and blah blah BLAH.

They're both in town, they're both within walking distance of Sheffield's main bar streets. Don't forget that as much as Odeon will potentially have some new retail/leisure units built outside it, the new cinema also includes units for restaurants.

It'll be healthy competition and a cinema chain like The Light with an apparently good reputation will have done their research and taken in to account any potential known plans from the Odeon side of town. They're not going to turn around and say "Oh, we didn't notice there was an Odeon in town and Cineworld in the suburbs! Bugger! Nope, sorry, we don't want this space any more, thanks".

When will the new cinema open on the moor? I was in the Odeon recently. I have never been in a cinema before without a box office and where you have to buy your ticket from the popcorn seller.

According to their website:

Opening in Q2 2016, a new 9 screen, all digital cinema for the city centre

Part of the phase 2 development of The Moor by Scottish Widows Investment Property Partnership Trust

When will the new cinema open on the moor? I was in the Odeon recently. I have never been in a cinema before without a box office and where you have to buy your ticket from the popcorn seller.

Thats the same scenario at some Cineworlds.

Thats the same scenario at some Cineworlds.

Same thing at Vue in Meadowhell.

C.

Part of the phase 2 development of The Moor by Scottish Widows Investment Property Partnership Trust

Thank you - sounds great.

Good grief. That's taking slowly slowly catchy monkey to an extreme!

Maybe it's going to be hand built in a similar fashion to how the current block is being taking down, seemingly brick by brick by hand.

(thanks for the info btw!)