Put a stop to blind pricing on SF

Apologies if this is the wrong place.

I don't mind these consolidated threads for tradespeoples recommendations but I do find it difficult to see the wood for the trees because of all the saying thanks for saying thanks messages, surely PM is a better way to thank your customer. Just my opinion.

I hardly think mac is trying to start a cartel. I have no problem with free trade an competition in pricing but on this forum there are a lot of chancers and unskilled people undercutting legit tradesman. Think of it this way of someone is qualified in business administration and goes for an advertised job worth 15000 a year then some chancer who thinks "well I can do a bit of typing" then comes in and says I'll do it for 12000 and then all the other chancers come in I'll do it for 11000 etc etc soon enough you're working for less than minimum wage. How I see it is anyone can come in and give the cheapest price but that doesn't mean they will be there to do the work or be there if something gies wrong with the job afterwards.

How does one separate a chancer from a regular guy?I know many people who cannot persuade tradesmen to come back and rectify errors,especially those who promote cash payment.

I don't mind these consolidated threads for tradespeoples recommendations but I do find it difficult to see the wood for the trees because of all the saying thanks for saying thanks messages, surely PM is a better way to thank your customer. Just my opinion.

I've said the same thing as you before, a thank you by pm is far better then using the space up on the recommend a business and tradesman tread, when it gets to big the tread will close.

Edited by mmitchell

So why should the mods stop it then? People are free to use whatever basis they like to choose someone to do a job, cheapest being one of them, even if it means they are basically an unskilled odd jobs man.

As much as Im with many of the other tradesmen about blind pricing and undercutting etc. I have to say you make a very good point in alluding to the reality of forums like this, which is, there are many people that are just looking for cheap and would never be willing or able to afford a tradesman.

In their eyes a job can be too expensive but never too cheap.

I do not often agree with what Mr Shaw has to say, but he did once say on another forum that when you are paying someone to provide a service for you, you should expect at the most two out of the following : speed, quality, cheapness...but not all three. I think he is probably right about that.

How does one separate a chancer from a regular guy?I know many people who cannot persuade tradesmen to come back and rectify errors,especially those who promote cash payment.

Tbh it's a hard one and I dont really have an answer for you generally just go with someone who's been recommended by a trusted friend but gut instinct can go a long way too. But all being said some of the more professional looking setups can be just as likely to leave poor work or provide poor service

Tbh it's a hard one and I dont really have an answer for you generally just go with someone who's been recommended by a trusted friend but gut instinct can go a long way too. But all being said some of the more professional looking setups can be just as likely to leave poor work or provide poor service

My solution to this is to stay local and know who you're dealing with. E.g. if a tradesman hides their address then I wouldn't offer them the job. If its for a significant sum then I normally do some background checks on them.

I'm also firm but fair. I let them know beforehand the quality of the job I expect.

<SNIPPED>

. Sorry when you get ripped off well you have only yourself to blame.

I REALLY hate this pathological attitude of blame the victim!

I've complained about this before and even had sniffy responses from the tradesmen who do it. I agree its not necessary and in my mind is a blatant attempt at getting their own names noticed more through more responses. It does not help the genuine forumer search through the thread when its clogged up with 'thankyous' The usual reply is that its simple courtesy to thanks someone for the feedback, i understand that sentiment, but still not necessary.