Chicken sitters?

Calling all chicken owners! I'm thinking of getting a few chickens soon to have in my back garden, however I'm wondering about what to do with them when we go away on holidays, or away for the weekend. Id be interested to hear what other chicken owners do when they go away? Its not quite the same as just asking someone to pop in and feed your cat is it? I don't want to get the chickens then realise i have no one to look after them. Any thoughts or advice would be most appreciated, thanks!

I get a neighbour to look after mine,They usually free range in the back garden if I am in but if we are out I leave them in the run.

Its just a matter of them topping up food and water and making sure the coop door is closed at dusk to keep foxy out.

Let them collect the eggs and take them that's what I do .

As Nikita says, neighbours are really useful for this sort of thing and they get paid in eggs.

However, I have a big food and water feeder which can hold enough for at least four days so if I'm just going away for a weekend I can leave them. Having a run which is fox proof is really useful as means they don't need putting away and letting out every day.

i offer chicken sitting most pet sitters would do chickens im sure

we only do chicken visits locally but there are many that do offer this service , I love chickens , we had them at home when i was young ,

MuddyPaws in my link will do this as well if you're in his area :)

i offer chicken sitting most pet sitters would do chickens im sure

You did a good job when you looked after mine so I can vouch for that!

Hi, I run a cat and small pet sitting business and I have looked after chickens before.... paws-sheffield.co.uk so please feel free to get in touch.

Thanks

Hi there

Me and my husband look after other chickens in our back garden in Norton, Sheffield for a fee, we have a large area that is for the chickens to run outside and also an additional shelter in the garden shed which has boxes in it for nesting at night time - this is also where other people's chickens sleep at night and is obviously fox proof.

We have these little round colour coded tags (specifically designed for chickens) that we just put on their legs to ensure we know whose chickens are whose.

I am at home everyday. Let me know if you need any further information as our website is still being developed.

Many thanks, Pippa

sheffieldpetdaycare@outlook.com

07939 939 717

Hi there

Me and my husband look after other chickens in our back garden in Norton, Sheffield for a fee, we have a large area that is for the chickens to run outside and also an additional shelter in the garden shed which has boxes in it for nesting at night time - this is also where other people's chickens sleep at night and is obviously fox proof.

We have these little round colour coded tags (specifically designed for chickens) that we just put on their legs to ensure we know whose chickens are whose.

I am at home everyday. Let me know if you need any further information as our website is still being developed.

Many thanks, Pippa

sheffieldpetdaycare@outlook.com

07939 939 717

Hi I don't offer to have chickens here to stay because when we looked into this our vet told us that there were lots of bird virus's that passed from chicken to chicken easily and they didn't advice mixing chickens or sharing run areas , also runs needed to be in concrete or stone to enable proper cleaning? I have also seen a cause in our insurance which relates to this saying to avoid mixing as they may peck each other etc and customers then would hold you liable for vets bills etc ? i not having a go I am just interested in this ? which insurance are you with ?

Hi I don't offer to have chickens here to stay because when we looked into this our vet told us that there were lots of bird virus's that passed from chicken to chicken easily and they didn't advice mixing chickens or sharing run areas , also runs needed to be in concrete or stone to enable proper cleaning? I have also seen a cause in our insurance which relates to this saying to avoid mixing as they may peck each other etc and customers then would hold you liable for vets bills etc ? i not having a go I am just interested in this ? which insurance are you with ?

how would you move a loads of chickens anyway???to move back after week away,more trouble than its worth deffo get a chicken sitter:)

how would you move a loads of chickens anyway???to move back after week away,more trouble than its worth deffo get a chicken sitter:)

Chicken travel the same way as bunnies but they tend to like their own surrounding and indeed if stressed can stop producing eggs , I personally prefer to visit them , Like my vet said mixing chickens is asking for trouble bacteria and virus wise