Paying for dressings/bandages

I had a minor surgical procedure on Tuesday at the Hallamshire Hospital and was advised by my GP's practice nurse that the wound needed to be packed and dressed every day.

Over the weekend it was arranged for the district nurse to come out to do this, but I must provide all of my own dressings and the packing material for the wound, at my own expense. This has now cost me two prescription charges just for 5 dressings/packing and it is likely that I will need more.

Is this right? Surely if it needs to be dressed each day and the practice nurse can't do they should provide me with the dressings (as the Hallamshire did for the first couple of days).

This is new to me. When my mum was ill the nurses brought all the dressings with them. But that was a while ago, and they did run out of one or two things.

This is new to me. When my mum was ill the nurses brought all the dressings with them.

That sounds more proffessional, just think if the nurse turns up at someones house and they dont have the correct bandages.

if you are not eligible for free prescriptions it will be.......

the days when nurses went round with bags of dressings are long gone...dressings are for named patients just like medicines are...you could be in for an expensive time.. the only way round would be to get then to write up a larger quantity on the next prescription..ask they may do it if they realise you are paying

.. the only way round would be to get then to write up a larger quantity on the next prescription..ask they may do it if they realise you are paying

Prescriptions are only paid by 10% of the population, its unfair.

I know one of relations has to have dressing changed but thats about twice a week at no cost.

And can only relate to myself having appendix out but i discharged my self same day ( I Know silly before anyone comments) so nurse had to come every day to change dressing was never charged.They normally request them from hospital or least they used to far as i am aware

My hubby has been having his wound dressed for the past four months. To begin with he had the district nurse visit on the weekends but he attended the surgery on weekdays. He's now only has to visit the surgery twice per week.

During all of this treatment he has been given prescriptions for his dressings and we've had to pay for them!

Thank goodness that he has a pre-payment thing especially as to begin with we only had Ssp to live on!

Prescriptions are only paid by 10% of the population, its unfair.

yes, its unfair.....and very expensive if you need packing, saline, dressing, 3 types of bandage and tape to stick t...that is 7 items potentially, which is 7x£7.40 or whatever it is now....

---------- Post added 25-05-2013 at 23:20 ----------

I know one of relations has to have dressing changed but thats about twice a week at no cost.

And can only relate to myself having appendix out but i discharged my self same day ( I Know silly before anyone comments) so nurse had to come every day to change dressing was never charged.They normally request them from hospital or least they used to far as i am aware

but do they get free prescriptions?

and telling the nurses you can't afford the dressings might help..

they may well not realise you pay and could have more sympathy with you than you think

Thank goodness that he has a pre-payment thing especially as to begin with we only had Ssp to live on!

Dont we pay taxes, and have a free NHS; SEN/Gipsies kids can get free transport to school and pensions free bus pass and lots of other stuff. Yet a health related item and ordinary people need to pay. This is one of my 'pet subjects'.

My sister was in hospital in Chesterfield last Friday to have gallstones removed. She was sent home on Saturday. She had a nurse come to check her wound on the Sunday and to leave her some dressings and painkillers. She has had to change her dressings herself. She lives on her own. I asked her if the nurse was due back to check on her wound but she said no. She is in constant pain - I have told her to contact her GP and to get him to come out and check her but she says she doesn't want to bother him! So she is struggling along on her own. She says she will just keep taking the painkillers.

Seems like there is no such thing as after care on the NHS anymore.

My sister was in hospital in Chesterfield last Friday to have gallstones removed. She was sent home on Saturday. She had a nurse come to check her wound on the Sunday and to leave her some dressings and painkillers. She has had to change her dressings herself. She lives on her own. I asked her if the nurse was due back to check on her wound but she said no. She is in constant pain - I have told her to contact her GP and to get him to come out and check her but she says she doesn't want to bother him! So she is struggling along on her own. She says she will just keep taking the painkillers.

Seems like there is no such thing as after care on the NHS anymore.

She could try ringing the ward for advice, or 111 but if she's in a lot of pain she should get it checked out...

I have told her to get advice but she says she doesn't like "causing a fuss". I've told her that she must get her doctor out if she's no better. She's going to see how she is this week!!