Putting Animals Down

I'm not refuting anything, my post was,

I've yet to see a compassionate predator.

But if you can, point me in that direction.

Since which we've had Lions and Dolphins and presumptions.

Nope I can't but neither can I find proof that commpassion doesn't exist. They've witnessed acts of compassion with elephants and its well known that where two dogs have lived in the same household for a number of years that the loss of one is revealed in the other so who's to say.

Acts of compassion from one species to another may be rare but even this has been witnessed with our friend the elephant.

I suppose it would also depend on what a persons interpretation of compassion is. If they can show a sense of loss and 'mourn' one of their own that convinces me.

I'm not refuting anything, my post was,

I've yet to see a compassionate predator.

But if you can, point me in that direction.

Since which we've had Lions and Dolphins and presumptions.

and humans.

So either you're claiming that humans cannot be compassionate, humans are not animals or there is no such thing as compassion.

None of which are true.

Your constant insistence that predators can't be compassionate is a) completely ignoring human beings and b) a very narrow argument that doesn't take into account that predation is an aspect, not the whole of a species character.

and humans.

So either you're claiming that humans cannot be compassionate, humans are not animals or there is no such thing as compassion.

None of which are true.

Your constant insistence that predators can't be compassionate is a) completely ignoring human beings and b) a very narrow argument that doesn't take into account that predation is an aspect, not the whole of a species character.

Do you say sorry to your meat when you eat it, or for that matter your vegetables, you're preying on it if you eat it, do you feel compassion for that spud, it's only doing you good.

Do you say sorry to your meat when you eat it, or for that matter your vegetables, you're preying on it if you eat it, do you feel compassion for that spud, it's only doing you good.

Do you understand the questions I was asking when you hijacked them because I'm genuinely beginning to think you don't even know what you're arguing against.

I'll make the point you seem to be missing again then bid you good night as we've been at this al day.

Just because an animal is a predetor it doesn't mean it is incapable of compassion.

You have been given examples by me and another poster of lions, humans, dolphins and dogs.

All predators, all capable of either inter or intra (or both) species compassion.

You have yet to present any counter argument other than does a predator feel compassion for its dinner. Whether it does or not is irrelevant to the point that those predatory species can be compassionate.

If you want me to continue this you need to come up with some reasons because all your argument at the minute seems to be focused on baseless and largely irrelevant points.

If a dog kills or behaves aggressively on the level of killing or attacking humans it needs to be humanly destroyed, no second option such as caging it for life or releasing it into the wild (do you suggest running 5 miles into Derbyshire and releasing it??).

I know 'some' people get certain dogs because of their nature to be vicious, but it's when they are vicious and out of control that they sadly have to be destroyed and the owners should be brought to account.

Do you understand the questions I was asking when you hijacked them because I'm genuinely beginning to think you don't even know what you're arguing against.

I'll make the point you seem to be missing again then bid you good night as we've been at this al day.

Just because an animal is a predetor it doesn't mean it is incapable of compassion.

You have been given examples by me and another poster of lions, humans, dolphins and dogs.

All predators, all capable of either inter or intra (or both) species compassion.

You have yet to present any counter argument other than does a predator feel compassion for its dinner. Whether it does or not is irrelevant to the point that those predatory species can be compassionate.

If you want me to continue this you need to come up with some reasons because all your argument at the minute seems to be focused on baseless and largely irrelevant points.

We know humans can show acts of compassion, we can ask them their reasons for doing so, but unless you can communicate with other species of animal, you are only presuming theirs is an act of compassion because you think it as such, as in the case of the Lion, it's protecting what it deems to be it's, in your case a cub, but could quite easily be a pork chop.

If a dog kills or behaves aggressively on the level of killing or attacking humans it needs to be humanly destroyed, no second option such as caging it for life or releasing it into the wild (do you suggest running 5 miles into Derbyshire and releasing it??).

I know 'some' people get certain dogs because of their nature to be vicious, but it's when they are vicious and out of control that they sadly have to be destroyed and the owners should be brought to account.

Should the owner be put down along with the dog?

Oops, sorry! I obviously am not compassionate!

We know humans can show acts of compassion, we can ask them their reasons for doing so, but unless you can communicate with other species of animal, you are only presuming theirs is an act of compassion because you think it as such, as in the case of the Lion, it's protecting what it deems to be it's, in your case a cub, but could quite easily be a pork chop.

You haven't grasped my argument at all have you?

It is compassion, scientists know animals can be compassionate, in the same way that humans can.

To argue against it is to argue against compassion in humans.

Your saying we're presuming it's compassion is wrong, because it shares the same characteristics of human compassion, therefor it is compassion, if it isn't then neither is what we call compassion in humans compassion! It's a completely nonsensical argument.

Are you getting it yet?

I have seen ferrets helping a disabled ferret by walking by his side so that he can lean on them, and that happened all of the time, I have seen animals pine when one of their friends pass away, I have seen my dog try to help a ferret when he was stuck by nudging him away, Dolphins hold their friends up when they are ill so that they don't drown.

I don't know if those things are compassion, but they are definitely caring and helping, with nothing in it for the animal doing the helping.

You haven't grasped my argument at all have you?

It is compassion, scientists know animals can be compassionate, in the same way that humans can.

To argue against it is to argue against compassion in humans.

Your saying we're presuming it's compassion is wrong, because it shares the same characteristics of human compassion, therefor it is compassion, if it isn't then neither is what we call compassion in humans compassion! It's a completely nonsensical argument.

Are you getting it yet?

Unless you can ask and get an answer from an animal you have no idea as to why it is doing anything,

got it yet?

Unless you can ask and get an answer from an animal you have no idea as to why it is doing anything,

got it yet?

I don't need to 'get' your argument.

Scientists recognise compassion in animals.

People who live around animals recognise compassion in animals.

Just because you don't want to call it compassion it doesn't mean it's not.

As your argument is silly, and has been the same for two days, and has deteriorated into 'It's not compassion because you can't ask them' I'm going to leave you to it.

If you can come back with an actual argument to support your view that animals don't display compassion I will resume but until then I'll leave you to it.

got it yet?

Au contraire.

Us being the intelligent species can identify it as exactly that, compassion.

The African hunting dog (predator) feeds and protects it's sick and old pack members when other species leave them to die.

If we recognise these simple acts as compassionate in ourselves then we obviously attach the label to another species because our intelligence allows us to recognise compassion.

People are willing to call a dog vicious when it attacks someone but your argument would suggest that it isn't based on the fact that we cannot ask why it did it.