Noisy cockerel/rooster S5

Im on halliwell and i hear it. It sounds as tho its coming from around wordsworth way to me

being woken up at dawn by a **** isn't that bad

I agree, i love the sound of birds in the morning no matter what the bird.

Recently we have been woken up really early in the morning by a cockerel/rooster (not sure which exactly) crowing really loud. We have to get up early in the morning for work but this bird is up earlier and earlier as the mornings get lighter. We think it is somewhere in the Haliwell Crescent, Wordsworth Avenue or Avisford Road area but can't quite figure out where exactly it is coming from, if we could we could at least approach the owner.

Has anyone else heard it?

Are there any regulations regarding the keeping of noisy cockerels in a residential area, if so does anybody know how we go about resolving this issue?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

The bird is only doing what comes naturally, so what's the owner going to do? put sellotape on its bill? Its a natural sound just get used to it, as the days shorten he will crow later and later.

I am in no doubt that the bird is doing what comes naturally, I just don't appreciate hearing it so early in the morning before I have to get up. I also do not see why I should have to get used to it, it's causing a noise disturbance and while I accept that for some people it's not an issue to me and my family - including young children who are being woken early - it is. So as I said previously, any help would be appreciated, if you just want to pass negative comments that are far from helpful then why even bother replying?

Just to add, if this was a dog barking early in the morning causing a disturbance there would be plenty of complaints and I'm sure the council have regulations regarding that as a noise disturbance, is that something you would just accept and put up with? I think not!

Edited by Charmacy
additional comment added

Not necessarily, I own an ex council house and the deeds say I cannot keep chickens. I have asked to have this changed and been refused.

Correct. There is no difference between a hen and a ****/cockerel as they are both classed as livestock. Some private houses have clauses about not allowing livestock.

I much prefer to hear a **** crowing than noisy cars or people. :D Some people put the cockerels in a carry case/box overnight and put them in the garage or in the cupboard under the stairs or similar place. They perch up at night so only need to be able to perch and be the correct temperature.

You can keep a dog in the house but poultry are kept outside, that's the problem today people complain about the least little thing. I grew up with around ten cockerels in around three hundred yard radius and I cant recall anybody complaining.

You can indeed keep a dog indoors, but some people don't do they and my point was if a dog was barking in the early hours and keeping people awake surely there would be complaints, or have I got that wrong?

To be honest the fact that you lived like that years ago is of no concern or indeed use to me. If I am complaining and you don't like it, then feel free to ignore my posts, after all, you clearly have no sensible advice to offer me do you?

So, thank you to everyone who has responded with advice, it's very much appreciated. If I can locate the owner I will see if a suitable solution can be found, and certainly without taping the birds beak shut!

Edited by Charmacy
Additional comment

I think it's on Wordsworth, a few houses before the turn to Avisford.

I'm at the top of Avisford, I don't get woken up at stupid o'clock by Mr cockerel, however, my fiance has been complaining that he keeps waking up around 4 - 4.30, perhaps this is the reason??

I quite like the sound when I hear him throughout the day but must admit I'd get pretty annoyed if he was waking me up...well, I'll see when the windows are open at night when it's too hot lol

I am in no doubt that the bird is doing what comes naturally, I just don't appreciate hearing it so early in the morning before I have to get up.

You should try bloody peafowl! Our neighbour when we lived in the country had them - and the noise makes cockerels sound puny. Like an ambulance siren going off right under your window.

Hi All, Just bumping this post back up again. After I initially started this thread the cockerel seemed to go quiet/disappear, I don't know which. It has however returned or a different one but seems to be coming from the same direction, any ideas where it's coming from? As I have said previously, I would just like to find a solution to the early morning crowing, I am not looking to have anyone reported or for them to get rid of it, I'd just like to have a chance to sleep early in the morning :-D Thanks

Hi All, Just bumping this post back up again. After I initially started this thread the cockerel seemed to go quiet/disappear, I don't know which. It has however returned or a different one but seems to be coming from the same direction, any ideas where it's coming from? As I have said previously, I would just like to find a solution to the early morning crowing, I am not looking to have anyone reported or for them to get rid of it, I'd just like to have a chance to sleep early in the morning :-D Thanks

What was wrong with the advice we gave before? What did you do? What happened?

My hens have just started laying again and the cocks comb and markings on his legs are going red. Its will soon be the breeding season so cocks will be more vocal. If there is another **** within crowing distance they will try to out do each other crowing. I used to keep cocks three but only have one now.

We can hear it on Crowder Avenue, it's crowing at all times of day not just early morning. I thought it was coming from the back of one of the houses on Southey Green Road, near the Co-op