Violence. Is it ever called for?

Clicking through lots of threads on this and other fora (mainly other ones though as this one is well modded) i cant ignore that a percentage of posters advocate or even encourage violence.

Its usually for the smallest and most insignificant things too.

So it poses to the question.

What would make YOU turn violent?

I dont mean turn violent and stay that way, hitting people all day every day for no good reason.

What i mean is that one incident where youd forget about your values and lose it big style.

For me, it would be my kids. If anyone hurt them id go postal.

The rest of the time im a quiet, calm and relaxed person who hardly if ever gets upset and really never gets angry. But if anyone hurt my kids id happily end their lives.

But if anyone hurt my kids id happily end their lives.

Hopefully the prison you ended up in wouldn't be too far from where your kids live.

Clicking through lots of threads on this and other fora (mainly other ones though as this one is well modded) i cant ignore that a percentage of posters advocate or even encourage violence.

I dont mean turn violent and stay that way, hitting people all day every day for no good reason.

What i mean is that one incident where youd forget about your values and lose it big style.

The rest of the time im a quiet, calm and relaxed person who hardly if ever gets upset and really never gets angry. But if anyone hurt my kids id happily end their lives.

for self defense. and then only enough violence to enable a retreat.

Who would you write to?

Yeah, I was thinking that too; would the OP be prepared to go to prison, and not see his kids, what kind of example would that set them?

Anyhow, yes, some violence can be appropriate, in certain circumstances (like, we are being attacked, and there is no other option, we need to defend ourselves and our loved ones). Or to assert ourselves in a cool, firm way, not at all backing down; but without 'losing it' and getting to fisticuffs. In fact, I would think all the best professional fighters, are very clear and cool headed and have high levels or self-awareness and self-control.

Have to say, I really don't like all this mass-scale violence we see in the world today; not just with what happened in London the other day, but in general. There is too much tit-for-tat hate and violence in the world; too many people are getting hurt.

I pretty much value all human life the same; I don't see 'british person' or 'muslim' or 'christian' or 'pakistani' or whatever, I just see human beings. It's pretty sad that a lot of people are so identified with their nationality or religion, that they don't see other human beings, as human beings...

It rather depends on the circumstances. I had some try and mug me with a knife in Burngreave once. I smacked him in the head with my crash helmet and nearly killed him.

Violent? For sure. Justified? I certainly thought so. My only regret was I smacked him so hard I had to buy a new crash helmet :-(

It rather depends on the circumstances. I had some try and mug me with a knife in Burngreave once. I smacked him in the head with my crash helmet and nearly killed him.

Violent? For sure. Justified? I certainly thought so. My only regret was I smacked him so hard I had to buy a new crash helmet :-(

Yep, you're well within your rights there. Just curious, did you report the incident to the police? If so, what did they do/say?

Yeah, I was thinking that too; would the OP be prepared to go to prison, and not see his kids, what kind of example would that set them?

I use the term "hurt" to define sexual attack, kidnap or murder.

If anyone sexually attacked, kidnapped or killed my kids id happily go to prison for my actions.

After all, my kids are my life and if someone took that away id see no problem in ending theirs.

:)

Yep, you're well within your rights there. Just curious, did you report the incident to the police? If so, what did they do/say?

I called the ambulance and the police, the police were not in the slightest bit interested in what I'd done. I think from what they were saying that he was very "known" to them.

As they said it wasn't really worth a court case, as then he had a non zero chance of finding out who I was, and it would have been one man's word against another, so it really got left at that.

I use the term "hurt" to define sexual attack, kidnap or murder.

If anyone sexually attacked, kidnapped or killed my kids id happily go to prison for my actions.

After all, my kids are my life and if someone took that away id see no problem in ending theirs.

:)

Supposing the attack resulted in their mothers death. Your actions would leave them with no one.

Personally i'd have more respect for a person that chanelled his/her anger in a positive way, a charity to aid victims for example. I suspect the children would have more to be proud of to.

Edited by Murphy Jnr

Supposing the attack resulted in their mothers death. Your actions would leave them with no one.

Personally i'd have more respect for a person that chanelled his/her anger in a positive way, a charity to aid victims for example. I suspect the children would have more to be proud of to.

Suppose it didnt.

Anyhow, yes, some violence can be appropriate, in certain circumstances (like, we are being attacked, and there is no other option, we need to defend ourselves and our loved ones). Or to assert ourselves in a cool, firm way, not at all backing down; but without 'losing it' and getting to fisticuffs. In fact, I would think all the best professional fighters, are very clear and cool headed and have high levels or self-awareness and self-control.

Have to say, I really don't like all this mass-scale violence we see in the world today; not just with what happened in London the other day, but in general. There is too much tit-for-tat hate and violence in the world; too many people are getting hurt.

I pretty much value all human life the same; I don't see 'british person' or 'muslim' or 'christian' or 'pakistani' or whatever, I just see human beings. It's pretty sad that a lot of people are so identified with their nationality or religion, that they don't see other human beings, as human beings...

Outstanding post Waldo. I agree entirely.