Johnny Fantham Wednesday legend goalscoring record

I remember one of my Charles Buchan's Football Monthlys (1/6d from all good newsagents) having a 'Cars of the Stars' feature. Johnny had a Renault Dauphine, yellow if memory serves.

Guest sibon
I remember one of my Charles Buchan's Football Monthlys (1/6d from all good newsagents) having a 'Cars of the Stars' feature. Johnny had a Renault Dauphine, yellow if memory serves.

What kind of car do you think that Sidibe drives? :D

What kind of car do you think that Sidibe drives? :D

Something that looks like Fireball XL5 like as not. :hihi:

Guest sibon
Something that looks like Fireball XL5 like as not. :hihi:

I was imagining a Robin Reliant.

Blue, since you ask.

I'm shattered by your response.

I was imagining a Robin Reliant.

Blue, since you ask.

I'm shattered by your response.

Choice of a footballer's car usually reflects self image rather than reality. Remember James Beattie's?

Edited by Jim Hardie

Guest sibon
Choice of a footballer's car usually reflects self image rather than reality. Remember James Beattie's?

BEATT5

Ha :D

Well considering that Johnny could turn the best defenders in the country over I am surprised he had a car that was just as easy to end up upside down.

Just read this thread for the first time. I agree with all the favourable comments of JF. Also the many comments about the Wednesday/Spurs game in 1960. I was then stationed at Bomber Command HQ in High Wycombe. Down there I was surrounded by southerners who were all crowing about the invincible Spurs, with comments like we will kill 'em etc. I was certain that for a long period, Wednesday had repeatedly beaten the Spurs at Hillsborough. Based on this knowledge I was certain Wednesday would win, and started taking a few too many bets, even getting some favourable odds. The game was all ticket, I did send off 4 ticket applications, but each one was unsuccessful. So I waited down in High Wycombe, having serious doubts about my wisdom in an outlay off several pounds on a football team. I think at that time my weekly pay was less than 4 pounds. The following week at work was one of the happiest I'd experienced in the RAF, you couldn't knock the smile off my clock. And yes, that was the greatest Wednesday team of all time, lead by the greatest captain, Don Megson.

Just read this thread for the first time. I agree with all the favourable comments of JF. Also the many comments about the Wednesday/Spurs game in 1960. I was then stationed at Bomber Command HQ in High Wycombe. Down there I was surrounded by southerners who were all crowing about the invincible Spurs, with comments like we will kill 'em etc. I was certain that for a long period, Wednesday had repeatedly beaten the Spurs at Hillsborough. Based on this knowledge I was certain Wednesday would win, and started taking a few too many bets, even getting some favourable odds. The game was all ticket, I did send off 4 ticket applications, but each one was unsuccessful. So I waited down in High Wycombe, having serious doubts about my wisdom in an outlay off several pounds on a football team. I think at that time my weekly pay was less than 4 pounds. The following week at work was one of the happiest I'd experienced in the RAF, you couldn't knock the smile off my clock. And yes, that was the greatest Wednesday team of all time, lead by the greatest captain, Don Megson.

I don't remember the game as being all ticket. You might be confusing it with the 1966 cup final which was my first experience of postal applications. An absolute shambles it was too with 80,000 applications being made. Many Wednesdayites that had queued for tickets for the previous rounds missed out on the final.

Back to the Spurs game - I think Wednesday had to win it without Springett, Roy McLaren deputising.

I don't remember the game as being all ticket. You might be confusing it with the 1966 cup final which was my first experience of postal applications. An absolute shambles it was too with 80,000 applications being made. Many Wednesdayites that had queued for tickets for the previous rounds missed out on the final.

Back to the Spurs game - I think Wednesday had to win it without Springett, Roy McLaren deputising.

I found a way around that, Jim. The scheme was to mail in a 10 bob note along with a stamp eddressed envelope. You got back either a ticket to the game or your ten bob. I figured the odds were around 10 to 1 against getting the ticket, so I got 9 other mates of mine, none of whom were interested in football, to mail in ten bob notes (which I supplied). I finished up with 3 tickets, so I sold 2 of them to pals of mine who wanted to go at face value.

I found a way around that, Jim. The scheme was to mail in a 10 bob note along with a stamp eddressed envelope. You got back either a ticket to the game or your ten bob. I figured the odds were around 10 to 1 against getting the ticket, so I got 9 other mates of mine, none of whom were interested in football, to mail in ten bob notes (which I supplied). I finished up with 3 tickets, so I sold 2 of them to pals of mine who wanted to go at face value.

I got mine by going straight down to the ground the morning after the arrangements were announced in the Star. I bought a ten bob postal order at the nearest post office, stuck it in an envelope and posted it through the Wednesday letter box. I made another four or five postal applications as insurance through various family members but without success.

A recently released book (The Wednesday Boys) claims that the great inside forward scored 166 goals in total.

Other records (The Wednesday Archives) suggests 167.

I have always belived the latter to be correct. Does anyone know who is right?

Sad to say the legend has passed on early July. RIP Johnny, one of the greats whose like Wednesday shall never see again