Johnny Fantham Wednesday legend goalscoring record

Are you confusing John with Jim Mcanearney? He had a machine shop in Hillfoot

Jimmy took over the machine shop after Fantham had had it for some years.

Not sure why none of the old boys like JF aren't recognsed on the walls of fame at Hillsborough. People like him, Alan Finney, Don Megson, etc did more for the Owls than most of those who have been honoured.

I hadn't realized there was a hall of fame. If such be the players you've mentioned should certainly be on it - along with others like Ron Springett, Jim McCalliog, and Bobby Craig.

Cannot believe that John Fantham is not in the Hall of Fame. I know it's difficult to compare teams over time but I do think the Catterick team was the best Wednesday side I have seen. They were exciting to watch with two fast wingers in Wilkinson and Finney, solid midfielders such as Swan and Kay, great goalie in Springett and of course forwards like Fantham and Craig. Pity they did not have a better centre forward. I rate the Spurs match (12 Nov 1960, att. 56,363, 2.1 to Wednesday) as one of the best I have seen at Hillsborough. I was on the kop that day - went in soon as the turnstiles opened.

It is amazing that Johnny Fantham, the club's post-war record aggregate goalscorer is not in the Hall of Fame, and whoever is responsible obviously has no knowledge of Sheffield Wednesday's history. However, it is typical of the times, in that people often lack knowledge of the people who played for the club in the years before they started watching football, and they totally ignore great players of the past.

I recall a Wednesday night game against Stoke, Gordon Banks was having an absolute blinder, Stoke were winning 0-1, until Fant struck in the dying embers of the game. A few more like him would do the game no harm at all.

Wasn't on a wednesday night.

Or did you mean a night game wednesday played.

It was on Monday 23rd of October 1967 wednesday were top of the league and the crowd was 33,000.

Edited by alex3659

Now retired to Thailand (hot and cheap), this thread brought back many happy memories of the time I lived on Meadowhead Avenue. John's parents used to own a small grocers shop on that road and sometime later Tommy Hoyland owned the newsagents shop next door. On many occasions my friends and I would see John in the shop and he never once refused to get us autographs of his fellow Wednesday colleagues. Those 'good old days'. Many thanks to the contributors of this thread. On my annual visits to Sheffield I always take in as many home matches as possible (roll on December 2011).

It is amazing that Johnny Fantham, the club's post-war record aggregate goalscorer is not in the Hall of Fame, and whoever is responsible obviously has no knowledge of Sheffield Wednesday's history. However, it is typical of the times, in that people often lack knowledge of the people who played for the club in the years before they started watching football, and they totally ignore great players of the past.

Perhaps now that Meggie and Manderic are in charge they will put things right and recognise my old mate Johny Fantham.

Perhaps now that Meggie and Manderic are in charge they will put things right and recognise my old mate Johny Fantham.

Absolutely. My old schoolpal from Burngreave deserves a special place in that Hall of Fame.

Absolutely. My old schoolpal from Burngreave deserves a special place in that Hall of Fame.

hiya the last time i saw john fantham was in the 1970/80s, he was buying all types of machines from laycocks eng when they were modernising their machine set up, told he would repair and sell them to asian costomers.

when he first came into the wednesday team i often said i wouldn't go to hillsborough if he was playing, but i soon changed my mind after a while. he was a pleasure to watch.

didn't fantham own a barber or hairdressing shop on

division st?

yes he did

I used to deliver the paper at Johnny Fanthoms parents grocery store in Grennull (Greenhill) in the late 50's. Luckily one day, just as I was putting the paper through letterbox he opened the door.Along with Peter Swann he had to be my favourite Wednesday player ever.I am certain that the Owls team of that era would wipe the floor with any of the so called great Prem teams nowadays.None of that back passing on the halfway line for the teams of that time.Watch a few games from just 10 years ago to see how much better it used to be.Too many French and Italian managers in the Prem,they are ruining our game.

I used to deliver the paper at Johnny Fanthoms parents grocery store in Grennull (Greenhill) in the late 50's. Luckily one day, just as I was putting the paper through letterbox he opened the door.Along with Peter Swann he had to be my favourite Wednesday player ever.I am certain that the Owls team of that era would wipe the floor with any of the so called great Prem teams nowadays.None of that back passing on the halfway line for the teams of that time.Watch a few games from just 10 years ago to see how much better it used to be.Too many French and Italian managers in the Prem,they are ruining our game.

It was a Wednesday manager that started what he called the continental system in England.

He did away with the traditional five forwards, three half backs , two full backs and goalie. His name. Vic Buckingham and from that day on football was never the same.