Three nights of race riots in Sweden.

http://www.newsmaxworld.com/GlobalTalk/sweden-race-related-riots-fires/2013/05/22/id/505834

Rampaging protesters pelted police and firefighters with stones and torched 30 cars Tuesday in Stockholm, as the Swedish capital experienced a third consecutive night of apparently race-related riots.

Buildings were also set afire, and mobs smashed out the windows of a police station in central Stockholm.

More than 100 vehicles were set on fire Sunday night in the capital area, and more than 100 people rioted there on Monday, The Local, an English-language Stockholm paper reported.

The violence began Sunday in the Stockholm suburb of Husby after police there fatally shot a 69-year-old man they said was carrying a large knife.

Husby is a multicultural area that is home to immigrant populations from Syria, Turkey, Lebanon and Somalia.

Local community groups portrayed the violence as resulting from frustration over “structural racism,” high unemployment, inequality, and poor schools.

“It’s not the first time something like this has happened, and it’s not the last,” student leader Rami al-Khamsi told The Local. “This is the kind of reaction when there isn’t equality between people, which is the case in Sweden.”

Swedish Prime Minister Fredrik Reinfeld warned that more rioting could take place before things calm down, according to the Wall Street Journal.

http://www.newsmaxworld.com/GlobalTalk/sweden-race-related-riots-fires/2013/05/22/id/505834#ixzz2U2y6Tj1H

Race riots in Sweden have been occurring for the past three days.

Poor Sweden, reaping what they sowed. As are we. And France. And Spain. And Germany. And Denmark. And the Netherlands.

Poor Sweden, reaping what they sowed. As are we. And France. And Spain. And Germany. And Denmark. And the Netherlands.

The last riots in the UK were by white Irishmen who pretend they're British. The last ones in France were by anti-gay marriage protestors from the political right. The last ones in Spain were by anti-austerity demonstrators. In Germany the most recent ones were at anti-globalisation demonstrations and between the far-right and far-left. In the Netherlands the last riot was when a party advertised on Facebook was invaded by thousands of gate-crashers.

The last riot I remember in Sheffield was when Wednesday got relegated 3 years ago although some Millwall fans trashed a tram last year.

Now how many of these were race riots?

Whats that got to do with social housing?

I don't understand your reference. The police shot someone in Sweden. I can see your link to the UK with the riots after Mark Duggan's death, although his death had very little to do with the dirty Manc chavs looting.

But have the other countries you listed had a backlash after a police killing?

Whats that got to do with social housing?

some houses were trashed

---------- Post added 23-05-2013 at 10:25 ----------

I don't understand your reference. The police shot someone in Sweden. I can see your link to the UK with the riots after Mark Duggan's death, although his death had very little to do with the dirty Manc chavs looting.

its the usual dig at places with high immigration, nothing to do with rioting

France has had loads of riots after police shootings/killings in recent times.

You can guarantee (take-it-to-the-bank guarantee) a major kick-off with torched cars and battles after the police kills someone (regardless of circumstances) there, anywhere (i.e. not just in/around Paris). I daresay, and much as it pains me to do so, it's been the poster boy for Europe where "race riots" are concerned for a long time.

The problem has been steadily getting worse in the past 10 years or so, more-or-less linearly with growing precarity and rampant social exclusion in 'places with high immigration', whereby...

its the usual dig at places with high immigration, nothing to do with rioting
...unfortunately, I don't believe they can be dissociated.

Keep piling the consequences of xenophobism/ostracisation/disenfranchising in such places, and of course ever-more tension will be released every time there's an ever-smaller spark. These days, even without any spark as such (don't ever drive to and park in Strasbourg (home of the EU parliament and the ECJ no less!) for New Year's Eve...you'll be training it/flying it back!)

The ever-increasing population density in such places (ironically, long-favoured by chem1st, who would see high-rises everywhere to accomodate 120m people in Britain ;)) accelerates ghetto-isation that much faster, and is a major factor.

Edited by L00b

France has had loads of riots after police shootings/killings in recent times.

You can guarantee (take-it-to-the-bank guarantee) a major kick-off with torched cars and battles after the police kills someone (regardless of circumstances) there, anywhere (i.e. not just in/around Paris). I daresay, and much as it pains me to do so, it's been the poster boy for Europe where "race riots" are concerned for a long time.

The problem has been steadily getting worse in the past 10 years or so, more-or-less linearly with growing precarity and rampant social exclusion in 'places with high immigration', whereby...

...unfortunately, I don't believe they can be dissociated.

Keep piling the consequences of xenophobism/ostracisation/disenfranchising in such places, and of course ever-more tension will be released every time there's an ever-smaller spark. These days, even without any spark as such (don't ever drive to and park in Strasbourg (home of the EU parliament and the ECJ no less!) for New Year's Eve...you'll be training it/flying it back!)

The ever-increasing population density in such places (ironically, long-favoured by chem1st, who would see high-rises everywhere to accomodate 120m people in Britain ;)) accelerates ghetto-isation that much faster, and is a major factor.

Population density isn't the problem. Inequality is, primarily in land access/control/tenure/ownership.

So if you have a group of well housed people with secure employment and a group of casually employed people with no job security living in poor housing and overcrowded properties you ask for trouble.

This is the case in many places, and the people in the poor housing with little job security and poor wages are the young and immigrants.

Population density isn't the problem. Inequality is, primarily in land access/control/tenure/ownership.

So if you have a group of well housed people with secure employment and a group of casually employed people with no job security living in poor housing and overcrowded properties you ask for trouble.

This is the case in many places, and the people in the poor housing with little job security and poor wages are the young and immigrants.

aaaannnnnnnd-theres the link to social housing:hihi:

are you going for the longest thread before bringing it home award?

aaaannnnnnnd-theres the link to social housing:hihi:

are you going for the longest thread before bringing it home award?

I got baited in man! :hihi:

Pretty soon I'll end up getting bored, and just become indifferent to the causes of our problems. Maybe it will be good for society to collapse and for murders to be carried out on our streets by the disenfranchised and downtrodden.

Preventable like, but when nobody cares for their fellow man, perhaps it might make more sense to invest in a business to pick up the predictable pieces and profit from it, instead of try and argue to prevent violence resulting from inequality.

Then I could buy a house, be alright Jack and start attending meetings to protest against housing, job security and decent living conditions for others, maybe even vote Tory.

How many developed countries with relatively homogenous populations (Japan, for instance) regularly have riots?