Proposed NEXT store Public Inquiry

So SCC want us all to go to the city centre to get our retail therapy, why then do they do everything they can to drive motorists away, with ridiculous parking charges, one way systems and stupid bus/tram priority management etc. Pushing people on to public transport just doesn't work for the vast majority, myself included.

That's why the city centre is dying and Meadowhall is buoyant.

No matter what they do with Sevenstone or whatever crackpot scheme is currently on the table, unless they put aside their dogmatic attitudes and embrace every potential shopper it just won't work and will drive people to out of town developments or other cities.

Correct.

Middlesborough has just cancelled all parking charges in their city centre to encourage shoppers. They envisage that the act will attract 40-50% more visitors.

Correct.

Middlesborough has just cancelled all parking charges in their city centre to encourage shoppers. They envisage that the act will attract 40-50% more visitors.

How does that impact on parking companies who have invested in new car park buildings in the city centre?

From a Sheffield point of view, I'm guessing the cheesegrater car park is owned/run by a private company. If Sheffield Council were to offer free street parking, wouldn't that harm the car parking companies who have invested in our city?

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind seeing free parking trialled to try and attract more shoppers, but often these things aren't as straightforward as they may initially seem.

Regards

Doom

How does that impact on parking companies who have invested in new car park buildings in the city centre?

From a Sheffield point of view, I'm guessing the cheesegrater car park is owned/run by a private company. If Sheffield Council were to offer free street parking, wouldn't that harm the car parking companies who have invested in our city?

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind seeing free parking trialled to try and attract more shoppers, but often these things aren't as straightforward as they may initially seem.

Regards

Doom

The decision was made with the full backing of the private car park owners who (I believe) reduced their fees accordingly........the reason being that the prospect of more car parking customers would overshadow any projected losses.

Correct.

Wont happen here, dont forget the council are making a large fortune from fleecing the motorist

---------- Post added 23-05-2013 at 13:15 ----------

Regards

Doom

Isnt that called competition? besides planner1 has many times stated that motorists would rather pay to use private parking than have on-street parking for free. After all according to him, private parking was the very reason the stupid sunday charges were brought in

Correct.

Sounds like a forward thinking ,ambitious council , unlike sheffield council who are determined to rid the city center of motorists.

Sounds like a forward thinking ,ambitious council , unlike sheffield council who are determined to rid the city center of motorists.

I've noticed that you do like to repeat nonsense comments, it doesn't matter how many times you come out with such silly comments anyone who actually goes into the city knows you are talking rot. If they went round closing all the surface car parks and knocking down all the multi storey carparks then went along removing every parking bay and painting in double yellow lines then your statement might have some strength.

Sounds like a forward thinking, ambitious council, unlike Sheffield council who are determined to rid the city center of motorists.

Like Berlin;

The Berlin section is at 25 minutes, but the all rest is well worth watching too. There's quite a bit about Sheffield.

How come everything in this city boils down to SCC's supposed fictious anti-car policies? :suspect:

The day all the roads and car parks are removed from the city centre is the day you can rightfully accuse the council of being anti car. However, as there are many perfectly usable roads and more car parks than ever before, this accusation does not hold any water and makes those that rant about it look stupid.

How come everything in this city boils down to SCC's supposed fictious anti-car policies?

The day all the roads and car parks are removed from the city centre is the day you can rightfully accuse the council of being anti car. However, as there are many perfectly usable roads and more car parks than ever before, this accusation does not hold any water and makes those that rant about it look stupid.

do you think then sheffiekd would ever offer free or 10p per hour parking in the centre to help stimulate business into the city centre?...honest answer please+

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

do you think then sheffiekd would ever offer free or 10p per hour parking in the centre to help stimulate business into the city centre?...honest answer please+

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

It would hardly stimulate business in the Privately owned car parks though,

or help toward the City Council coffers. So my answer is No

Why would that stimulate business? All it would mean was council owned car parks would be full of cars owned by people working in the city centre.

The decision was made with the full backing of the private car park owners who (I believe) reduced their fees accordingly........the reason being that the prospect of more car parking customers would overshadow any projected losses.

Seems sensible.

Hopefully Sheffield Council will monitor this and if it continues to be a success try something similar themselves......There's nothing wrong with adopting other peoples ideas if they work.

Regards

Doom