A kitten or 2..

PDSA near Don Valley

PDSA near Don Valley

Do you mean the RSPCA? The PDSA in Sheffield is just the vet clinic.

Yes, if you go for a rescue, you will have to pay an adoption fee but the cat will come microchipped, flea'd, wormed, vaccinated, neutered/speyed ect. If you were to get a kitten from an ad in the paper, these are all things that you would have to pay for yourself. So it'd probably end up costing more than the adoption fee anyway.

Plus you'd be doing a good thing by helping one of the many struggling rescue centres :)

Good luck with your search.

Fourth for the Sheffield Cats Shelter here :)

you have to pay an adoption fee but it covers first vaccinations, neutering and microchipping, the kittens have been health checked and looked after properly.

If you get a free one from the papers it may well not have been wormed or de-flead and you'll have to pay out for vacs, neutering and chipping yourself which will more than likely cost more than an adoption fee.

Going to the shelter will be ultimately cheaper, doesn't inadvertently encourage irresponsible breeding and is better for you as the risk of ending up with a sick cat that will run up vets bills, or a flea infestation of your home, or catching ringworm or something else horrible is much lower.

win-win-win :D

http://accidentalfosterer.wordpress.com/furry-people-seeking-new-homes/morris/

this lovely young man is looking for a furever home. he's about 7 months, currently in foster care in S8. he's been neutered and micro chipped.

Morris is fostered through a combination of Cat AbuseTreatment Society, and Rain Rescue Cats. Too gorgeous to have just one rescue involved!

you may need a little patience, and be prepared to queue early to get the one you want, since they don't allow pre-booking

Just to update everyone...The Cats Shelter DOES allow cats to be 'pre-adopted'. This means that you can 'reserve' a cat/kitten if it is based at The Shelter, even though it will have to complete it's course of vaccinations before it can be taken home (you can reserve once they've had their 1st Vacc). This was one of the many improvements in their adoption procedures that has been introduced over the last year or so. Because you are allowed to 'reserve' cats at other Rescues, including the RSPCA & Cats Protection, they had to change their policy to keep up!

When I last looked, the adoption fee was £70. All cats/kittens are spayed/neutered, vaccinated, chipped, health checked, flead & wormed. You need to go with proof of ID & will have to show your tenancy agreement if you are in rented accomodation.

The Shelter Website is currently being updated. There is a page listing cats for adoption, but sometimes it's not up to date. Try looking at the Facebook Pages which are updated more regularly with current news about cats & kittens that they have.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Sheffield-Cats-Shelter/146441928807132

Just to update everyone...The Cats Shelter DOES allow cats to be 'pre-adopted'. This means that you can 'reserve' a cat/kitten if it is based at The Shelter, even though it will have to complete it's course of vaccinations before it can be taken home (you can reserve once they've had their 1st Vacc). This was one of the many improvements in their adoption procedures that has been introduced over the last year or so. Because you are allowed to 'reserve' cats at other Rescues, including the RSPCA & Cats Protection, they had to change their policy to keep up!

When I last looked, the adoption fee was £70. All cats/kittens are spayed/neutered, vaccinated, chipped, health checked, flead & wormed. You need to go with proof of ID & will have to show your tenancy agreement if you are in rented accomodation.

The Shelter Website is currently being updated. There is a page listing cats for adoption, but sometimes it's not up to date. Try looking at the Facebook Pages which are updated more regularly with current news about cats & kittens that they have.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Sheffield-Cats-Shelter/146441928807132

My apologies if I've misled anyone, spats. It's been six years since we last adopted from the Cats' Shelter! Thank you for correcting this misunderstanding.

Does anyone know re the Sheffield cats shelter... If adopting a kitten, do they need you to prove you won't leave the kitten unattended for a certain number of hours during the day? Like the rspca does? Ours would be unattended with our older cat from 9-5 as we go to work. I don't want to be disappointed when we go and try to adopt one!

I would advise you to have a read up on advice about how to introduce a kitten to an existing cat. Here's the link to The Blue Cross webpage. That way, you go in prepared! The staff will also give you advice, but better to have this knowledge already, I think.

http://www.bluecross.org.uk/1957-2770/introducing-your-cat-to-other-pets.html

They have so many to rehome at the moment, it's unlikely you are going to get refused. However, you may get refused (temporarily until you can prove he's had his jabs) if your existing cat is not vaccinated & most certainly refused if it is not neutered. You may get refused if you live on a busy road. (kittens more likely to be RTA's). If you live in rented accommodation you will have to show evidence that you are allowed pets. (Even though you have one already).

One thing to think about.....are you sure your existing pet would want a nipper upsetting his life & routine? Think about it, because a lot of older cats don't tolerate kittens very well & it can lead to behavioral problems and even the existing cat upping stakes & leaving home! My other half currently has a cat at work that refuses to stay at his home address because his owner has got a new kitten & cat detests it. So it chooses to cross busy roads & spend it's time at a factory. Owner found, cat returned, but it just keeps coming back.

Does anyone know re the Sheffield cats shelter... If adopting a kitten, do they need you to prove you won't leave the kitten unattended for a certain number of hours during the day? Like the rspca does? Ours would be unattended with our older cat from 9-5 as we go to work. I don't want to be disappointed when we go and try to adopt one!

We got ours a few years ago now, so the procedure may have changed, but we had to fill in a form with our working hours.

We actually went to get one adult cat but fell in love with a four month old 'Ufi'. We asked if we could adopt him and they said we'd have to take another kitten to go with him, so he'd have company.

I think it did help that I said I was going to be off work for a couple of weeks post-adoption to settle them in too - is that something you could do to make sure the kitten and your older cat are ok together?