Strange fish in crookes valley pond

I know, would guess its decimating the stock in that pond. Its putting on pounds in weight each year.

I hear it still fishes well though so must be plenty left in.

Dunno about Beauchief, but Bradley's down Ford Bottom recently did a catfish at just over 50lb (believe it or not)!! And those ponds are tiny....

Go on then Chris, give us a clue?!! Zander perhaps?

Yes, I know of a few Zander that have been caught out of there. Not many of them in there, and only small ones.

Nothing strange about Zander though.

Unfortunately, I can't give you a photo of a Wels out of Crookes. I never used to carry a camera in those days, and mobile phones certainly didn't take pictures back then!

I had a few small Wels from the platform over near the Pavillion, probably around 1995/96. I only got them during summer, never in the colder months.l Same goes for the Eels in there, July and August were the best months.

Someone out there must have caught them and got pics though, I saw plenty of other people catch them back then.

So, who can tell me the other unusual species that live in there? I won't mention them, as I will surely be labelled a fraud, but someone will know about them. It isn't a great secret.

There was talk of Sheffield University stocking Catfish I think in the seventies, that's what it was as far as I'm concerned just talk. Surely the University would be unable to study any fish successfully in a water the depth of Crookes. This is where the old wives tales, dreaming, romancing, or just out & out lieing came from.

These claims have been bandied around for a while but no one ever has any evidence.

Anyone who does have any proof of Catfish in Crookes & I will gladly change my views, but no proof seems to be out there.

There was talk of Sheffield University stocking Catfish I think in the seventies, that's what it was as far as I'm concerned just talk. Surely the University would be unable to study any fish successfully in a water the depth of Crookes. This is where the old wives tales, dreaming, romancing, or just out & out lieing came from.

These claims have been bandied around for a while but no one ever has any evidence.

Anyone who does have any proof of Catfish in Crookes & I will gladly change my views, but no proof seems to be out there.

I doubt these ones are anything to do with the University!

They are from the same batch which was stocked in Forge Dam, around 91 or 92 I think it must have been.

I have no idea if any survived in Forge Dam, or even if the lake still exists.

On the subject of the depth of Crookes, has anyone seen pictures of it empty? i.e. during the war, when it was drained.

From what I have been told, if you go to the Ponderosa over the road from Crookes Valley and look at the embankment. That gives you the water depth of the dam. Im not sure how true that is, but its widely considered to be around 60ft deep. Again, speculation really I suppose.

So what of these other unusual species in Crookes then Chris? Pm me if you wish to avoid ridicule :-)

Pm me if you wish to avoid ridicule :-)

Just out of curiosity where in any thread on this section of the forum have you seen anyone being ridiculed. Or is this another erroneous statement.

From what I have been told, if you go to the Ponderosa over the road from Crookes Valley and look at the embankment. That gives you the water depth of the dam. Im not sure how true that is, but its widely considered to be around 60ft deep. Again, speculation really I suppose.

So what of these other unusual species in Crookes then Chris? Pm me if you wish to avoid ridicule :-)

Mikey, you are probably about right there.

I plumbed it with the largest ESP marker float and a 3oz lead, which generally is very accurate if used correctly, and I managed to get 50ft from the Pavillion platform.

I tried the depth finder on the baitboat, but couldn't get an accurate reading, possibly due to the shape of the lake bed. Silt deposits also cause problems for the sonar.

Chris, that's the most common depth i've heard. I've never marked it up myself (maybe a job over the winter) but 50 ft rings true.

And Sheff13, I was writing in regards to Chris' previous comment on his opinions of what is in the dam being 'labelled a fraud'.

Out of curiosity, what do you mean about erroneous comments?? Without getting into an in-forum bickering match (leave that to the keyboard warriers *cough*). Got no reason for speculating, passing on rumours etc. So whats your reason for having a pop??

There's no proof that there is cat fish , pike or zander in there ! Pike sure but cat fish being in there is just an old wifes tale

ive seen a catfish in there many years ago in fact it was caught on some broken line and fast on some branch that was in there i manage to get it out and took the hook out and let it go

Not having a pop as you say mikey love I was only asking out of curiosity as I said.

My comment regarding erroneous statement is self explanatory

I can recall a story that police divers were training in the pond and one came face to face with a 'large Catfish', it was suspected that the University introduced some in to the pond after they had finished doing work with them back in the 70's, it was thought to have been one of these that scared the copper shi.... er half to death :o:D

Old wives tale??

Biggsy :)