Strange fish in crookes valley pond

when fishing last week i saw a very strange fish in the shallow ! it was half black half white i would say 2 lbs and it was with a shoal of perch and roach any ideas on what it is , there was only one of him

Zebra fish:D:D

---------- Post added 22-05-2013 at 18:13 ----------

Bit more info please was it slim or stocky etc markings etc

Sounds like a Koi that has got too big for someone's garden pond & been given its freedom / dumped ( illegally ) it's becoming a problem at quite a few ponds / lakes

Andy

Sounds like a Koi that has got too big for someone's garden pond & been given its freedom / dumped ( illegally ) it's becoming a problem at quite a few ponds / lakes

Andy

why is this a problem??? is it because they not regulated so to speak? just intrested

Illegal from Environment Agency perspective - I guess for 2 reasons because they are not an indigenous species & because of the risk of introducing diseases that were not previously present in that ecosystem, which could then impact all of the other fish stocks in the lake.

It's the same reason that the unauthorised movement of any fish between waters (including live bait for pike) is not allowed

Andy

Illegal from Environment Agency perspective - I guess for 2 reasons because they are not an indigenous species & because of the risk of introducing diseases that were not previously present in that ecosystem, which could then impact all of the other fish stocks in the lake.

It's the same reason that the unauthorised movement of any fish between waters (including live bait for pike) is not allowed

Andy

Totally agree

There are lots of unusual fish in Crookes Park lake.

I fished it for years, and had some real surprises.

Not all of them were nasty surprises; some very nice Roach in there.

just been down today and caught a very nice roach! The perch get on my nerves they love to swallow the hook really far down!!

Had a walk round today, a lot of the silver fish showing symptoms of disease, mainly fungus by the looks of it. Diseased fish also tend to darken up so could have been one of these. A few had large elongated patches of fungus running the entire depth of the fish giving it a striped pattern.

Also predation attacks tend to leave long dark scars down the body of silver fish eg. Roach.

Had a walk round today, a lot of the silver fish showing symptoms of disease, mainly fungus by the looks of it. Diseased fish also tend to darken up so could have been one of these. A few had large elongated patches of fungus running the entire depth of the fish giving it a striped pattern.

Also predation attacks tend to leave long dark scars down the body of silver fish eg. Roach.

The dead/diseased fish will soon be cleared, there are some Zander in there, as well as a few catfish. Not to mention Pike, although they are not as proficient at mopping up the dead fish as cats and zeds.

The dead/diseased fish will soon be cleared, there are some Zander in there, as well as a few catfish. Not to mention Pike, although they are not as proficient at mopping up the dead fish as cats and zeds.

There's no proof that there is cat fish , pike or zander in there ! Pike sure but cat fish being in there is just an old wifes tale

Seen zander in margins, have a look around the bed of lilies.

As for cats, pictures were circulating of a small (blue channel) catfish (6lb ish) caught, with Dam House in background.

Not saying its original stock, but Crookes Valley is just a dumping ground for overgrown garden pond fish, with many pond keepers having catfish.