Sound bar query

I recently bought a Samsung 32" LED TV.

The picture is great, but the sound is poor.

I begrudge having to buy a sound bar after spending good money on a TV, but if this is the only solution then so be it.

My question is, will the TV remote operate the sound level on the sound bar, like on my Sky remote, or will I have to use 2 remotes?

The TV appears to have most of the connectivity on the back you get nowadays.

Edited by Benella
wrong size stated

On our six year old TV's remote I press: menu then settings and then sound, a bar appears by which, using the remote's arrows,I can set the sound level.

If I set it at maximum I can then use the remote to lower the sound to a lower level if needed.

YMMV

I recently bought a Samsung 32" LED TV.

The picture is great, but the sound is poor.

I begrudge having to buy a sound bar after spending good money on a TV, but if this is the only solution then so be it.

My question is, will the TV remote operate the sound level on the sound bar, like on my Sky remote, or will I have to use 2 remotes?

The TV appears to have most of the connectivity on the back you get nowadays.

It depends on what sounds poor. If it's mainly speech there should be a setting within the TV's sound "modes" which can improve the standard setting.

They're usually listed as Standard,Cinema,Sports ...etc

A soundbar of the same brand as the TV is more likely to have a remote with the function you're looking for. Alternatively plug a pair of PC amplified speakers into the TV's headphone socket and use the TV remote to alter the volume level.

I've got a Samsung TV and recently brought a Samsung soundbar and the Sky remote does control the volume and turn the TV off. The only thing it won't do is turn the soundbar on when I turn the TV on which is rather annoying but I can live with it.

Hope that helps.

re. 2 remotes query: it will depend on whether the TV and soudbar HDMI connection is ARC-enabled.

ARC is the tiny bit of technology whic allows your TV remote to control the volume of the soundbar.

Most recent TVs and soundbars (of the same make as your TV and of other makes) include this technology, but double-check to be sure.

Oh, and if you buy one, choose one with a subwoofer (ironically, but unsurprisingly, sounbars have the same problem as super-thin LCD TVs: they're small boxes with small speakers, with little to no volume for producing decent bass).

Edited by L00b
linky

If the sound is poor on your TV, the best way way to improve it without going to any expense - eg: purchasing a soundbar or amplified speakers is to use your hi-fi system.

If you have separate's ( separate hi-fi amp, tuner, cassette deck etc ) on the rear of the amplifier there should be sets of phono sockets marked to show what can be used with them - if you've got a self contained hi-fi unit there usually is an auxilary input on the rear panel............purchase a 3.5mm stereo male jack to 2 RCA phono plugs - plug the phono plugs into either the auxilary input on the rear of your hi-fi unit, or into a spare input on the rear of your hi-fi amplifier and then plug the 3.5mm stereo jack into the headphone socket of your TV..............control the volume that comes through your hi-fi speakers with the TV with either the remote handset of the hi-fi or by its vloume control knob.

All slim TV's will have poor sound. The speakers are flat and tiny.

Is it just me or has the sound quality on non HD programmes been subdued (just like the picture)?

I have to turn the sound down on some HD channels.

It depends on what sounds poor. If it's mainly speech there should be a setting within the TV's sound "modes" which can improve the standard setting.

They're usually listed as Standard,Cinema,Sports ...etc

A soundbar of the same brand as the TV is more likely to have a remote with the function you're looking for. Alternatively plug a pair of PC amplified speakers into the TV's headphone socket and use the TV remote to alter the volume level.

There are several settings(graphic equalizer) on the sound menu but they are all unsatisfactory.

---------- Post added 22-05-2013 at 16:39 ----------

Thanks for the replies. I'll nip to Richersounds & see what they've got.

There are several settings(graphic equalizer) on the sound menu but they are all unsatisfactory.

---------- Post added 22-05-2013 at 16:39 ----------

Use your Hi-fi as a means of amplification as I've previously suggested......save yourself money, failing that look up on the web: Hi-Fi Tower they have everything for audio on their site and a lot cheaper than Richer Sounds !

Have a look at their website first, and select the Sheffield branch for the clearance section ;)

Listen to their advice as well. I have just about always got my AV/Hi-Fi gear (when bought new) from them, for years and years...but the soudbar is the one thing I never bothered to check with them first - wish I had, as the one I bought was completely wrong/underpowered for our lounge, and the mix of wall surfaces (brick/glass) means the "reverberated 5.1" never really worked at all. I ended up using it with my PC/360, and going back to a 'proper' surround setup.

Best ones (in terms of sound quality/price ratio) are still Yamaha, and an entry-level 101 might be just enough for your needs (optionally/preferably paired with a subwoofer, but for that you might as well just buy a 2nd-hander of a reputable maker, e.g. Yamaha, Kef, Jamo <etc.> off eBay) :)

Never heard of HiFi Tower, and not a retailer held in much esteem over on AV Forums. Unsurprisingly so, as most of the products seem to be Chinese-made no-name stuff with made-up brands ("Auna", "Enox", "Majestic", "CMX"...?), Aldi-style.

RicherSounds or John Lewis (RS will price-match JL and reciprocally, both do 5 year warranty, RS warranty terms and 'in action' still slightly better than JL).

Edited by L00b