Gregory Rd,Heeley.

On 11/08/2019 at 16:54, trastrick said:

During the war, and up until the 60s, that corner of Gregory Road and Cambridge Road, was occupied by a  concrete water reservoir, one of many scattered around the city as a source of water to fight wartime fires. It was surrounded by advertising boards.

I know it very well because I almost drowned in there.

You can just see it at the end of Forster Road, on the right.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s16277&pos=7&action=zoom&id=19008

I lived on Cambridge Road, in the picture you can see the passage next to where I lived. The hoardings were a good hiding area for us kids but, I never knew there was a concrete water reservoir, I'll ask mum about that, she's now 93. Her Aspinall family all lived in Cambridge Road for many years, he mother being born there in 1901, her father in 1880 and always in the same houses which seemed to pass from family members which is what they did in those times. The Collis family all lived on Gregory Road.

Regards,

Duffems

43 minutes ago, DUFFEMS said:

I lived on Cambridge Road, in the picture you can see the passage next to where I lived. The hoardings were a good hiding area for us kids but, I never knew there was a concrete water reservoir, I'll ask mum about that, she's now 93. Her Aspinall family all lived in Cambridge Road for many years, he mother being born there in 1901, her father in 1880 and always in the same houses which seemed to pass from family members which is what they did in those times. The Collis family all lived on Gregory Road.

Regards,

Duffems

There was also one at the top of Heeley Green, and another one down near Rushdale Road. They were a magnet for us kids.

Very dangerous though, at ground level with, no fence,  sheer concrete sides and at least 8 feet deep.

I believe they finally filled them in in the early 50s?

Deleted (wrong thread)

Edited by trastrick

Deleted  (Site acting a little weird today)

Edited by trastrick

Test

18 hours ago, Fourbytwo said:

Hey again trastrick, all is clear again now, I knew Mary and Dorothy although older than me. Mary (?), Ozzie and Carlos went to live a few doors down from us on Nicholson Rd. Thats a good  picture of Carter Rd.I've not seen that one before, you can just make out our house on Nicholson Rd. where we moved to after we left Nicholson Place late fifties I reckon. Ten of us squeezed into 2 up 2 down and a tin bath, don't remember how, then moved to 3 beds and an attic when everyone left one by one. I didn't know about the concrete water container behind the hoardings, I knew it as a play area and dumping ground in the sixties, someone once dumped a massive amount of Meccano there.

4X2

You might have known my next door neighbor on Carter Place, Ivy Redfern. She was about 5 years older than Mary and me.

On hot summer days she would drive us kids crazy by claiming to have her own ice cream machine in their cellar!

Sorta like your Taggy secret recipe tease!  Lol?

On 13/08/2019 at 11:42, trastrick said:

Test

You might have known my next door neighbor on Carter Place, Ivy Redfern. She was about 5 years older than Mary and me.

On hot summer days she would drive us kids crazy by claiming to have her own ice cream machine in their cellar!

Sorta like your Taggy secret recipe tease!  Lol?

Hey, Rastrick. I remember hearing of the Redferns from my parents and siblings, I was a bit out of the loop being born 1950.

The Taggy's post is fact and could maybe pass on tips by PM.

4x2