Gregory Rd,Heeley.

Can anyone tell me if there was a workhouse at 15,Gregory Rd ,Heeley in 1907 or if it was just a house?Thanks.

I would say, it was very unlikely it was a workhouse.

Ridge Joe, silver buffer. ((White's Directory 1901)

Highfield Alfd. Rd., (j) painter. (White's Directory 1911)

Harrison Sidney Herbert, furniture packer. (Kelly's 1925)

---------- Post added 21-05-2013 at 16:51 ----------

And .. Holden John Dennis, (j) tool maker. (White's Directory 1905)

I would say, it was very unlikely it was a workhouse.

Ridge Joe, silver buffer. ((White's Directory 1901)

Highfield Alfd. Rd., (j) painter. (White's Directory 1911)

Harrison Sidney Herbert, furniture packer. (Kelly's 1925)

---------- Post added 21-05-2013 at 16:51 ----------

And .. Holden John Dennis, (j) tool maker. (White's Directory 1905)

Thanks for that.The person I'm looking for was born there in 1907 but doesn't appear to be related to any of the above.

...The person I'm looking for was born there in 1907...
The 1905 directory shows "John Dennis Holden, tool maker" at 15 Gregory Road.

I think all the buildings were houses on Gregory rd, Heeley.At the bottom corner was waste land, were I believe houses had once stood.I lived and was born on Gregory road.

Hey, what was there before the big wooden hut that was used by the Sally Army?

4X2

On 13/06/2013 at 18:05, kath said:

I think all the buildings were houses on Gregory rd, Heeley.At the bottom corner was waste land, were I believe houses had once stood.I lived and was born on Gregory road.

During the war, and up until the 60s, that corner of Gregory Road and Cambridge Road, was occupied by a  concrete water reservoir, one of many scattered around the city as a source of water to fight wartime fires. It was surrounded by advertising boards.

I know it very well because I almost drowned in there.

You can just see it at the end of Forster Road, on the right.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s16277&pos=7&action=zoom&id=19008

Hey trastrick, I think we're at crossed purposes here, I'm talking about the Sally Army hut on Gregory Rd. just above Maltby's

4X2 

2 hours ago, Fourbytwo said:

Hey trastrick, I think we're at crossed purposes here, I'm talking about the Sally Army hut on Gregory Rd. just above Maltby's

4X2 

I think your referring to the Salvation Army hall on Carter Road, of which there are no buildings shown on that section of land prior to the S  A hut.

Edited by me-and-pippo

Yes, I'm getting my Carters mixed up with my Gregory's, I used to live on Nicholson Place with the corner of the back yard overlooking the SA ground then moved to Nicholson Rd opposite the end of Carter Rd in the 60's. 

4X2

16 hours ago, Fourbytwo said:

4X2 

The Salvation Army hut was on Carter Road, next to Maltby's.

You can see the wall at the front of the site in this picture, on the left.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s14130&pos=90&action=zoom&id=16954

(Mary Maltby and I were inseparable  around 5 -8 years of age. The S.A. used to have a  Magic Lantern show there on Saturday nights, and the long unlit entrance walkway was where we neighborhood kids got our first rudimentary sex education, but I digress, Lol)

Hey again trastrick, all is clear again now, I knew Mary and Dorothy although older than me. Mary (?), Ozzie and Carlos went to live a few doors down from us on Nicholson Rd. Thats a good  picture of Carter Rd.I've not seen that one before, you can just make out our house on Nicholson Rd. where we moved to after we left Nicholson Place late fifties I reckon. Ten of us squeezed into 2 up 2 down and a tin bath, don't remember how, then moved to 3 beds and an attic when everyone left one by one. I didn't know about the concrete water container behind the hoardings, I knew it as a play area and dumping ground in the sixties, someone once dumped a massive amount of Meccano there.

4X2