Sign in to follow this  

Does Masons Arms, Broomspring Lane still exist

Looking for photos of Masons Arms Broomspring Lane, but cant find any... is it still there, or has it changed its name? know there is a Springfield Tavern... is it one and the same.

Springfield tavern is the only pub on Broomspring Lane....

Except all the signs are blue at the Springfield these days - actually looks pretty ok.

Never been in though, despite living next door!

Got my info. from 1891 census. My Great Grandad, John Robbins, lived at either 48 or 118 Broomspring Lane (handwriting hard to read)

above his name is an entry for Herbert Barbour? Publican and Grocer - Masons Arms Broomspring Lane.... any ideas?

1881 census has him at house 3 court 12 broomspring lane

Looking for photos of Masons Arms Broomspring Lane, but cant find any... is it still there, or has it changed its name? know there is a Springfield Tavern... is it one and the same.

Springfield was formerly known as The Ivy Cottage. I can find no reference of a Masons Arms ever having been at Broomspring Lane.

See the attached lweb address.

http://www.sheffieldpubs.fsnet.co.uk/Business/m.htm

Looks like it was at the corner of Victoria St-Broomspring Lane or near enough. Seems Broomspring Lane was renumbered, -and your right it is very hard to read, looks like Herbert Barlow grocer & publican

Thanks Retep. From what you said I remembered a photo on picture Sheffield of Broomspring Lane on the corner of Victoria Street. It says no. 50 Broomspring Lane was a licensed grocers belonging to Wm Bateman (dated around 1900) Guess g.grandad's was next to that and it is 48 and not 118.

He also made a mess of writing their surname and has g.grandma down as being Francia Ann in 1981.... but in 1881 she is down as Ann. Their son William on the 1881 census aged 10 disappears from the 1891 ... no one has ever heard of him.... cant find any clues on b.m.d. Do you think he may have enlisted and been killed.... was Boer war around that time?

I have one disappeared around the same time, perhaps they were killed in some conflict or other, time may tell.