Where to get emergency dental care (private or otherwise)?

The past year has been quite horrific at times. I haven't had a dentist since I was a child and have been hopping between Manchester and Sheffield so much, I don't have much in the way of care.

I have 2 wisdom teeth which have caused abscesses on both sides of my mouth (it seems to alternate) every few months. I have 2 cracked molars, one is now severely cracked (half tooth left, exposing nerve) and I am in agony.

Emergency care has been a joke. I've been to the emergency dentist 3 times in the last year, and all they have done is prescribe antibiotics and charge me £25. These teeth need to be pulled!

I tried to register with local dentist (private) but had to pay £50 just for consultation and couldn't afford at the time.

Could someone advise - what is the fastest way to get tooth extraction or proper dental treatment, private or otherwise? I'll take a loan if I have to, but I need to get these teeth pulled asap.

Here is the usual process:

1. Ring out of hours emergency care line

2. Get prompt appointment with emergency dentist

3. Dentist takes a look 'ahh, yeh, needs to be pulled'

4. Dentist prescribes antibiotics or other temporary relief

5. I'm left in exactly same position with minor relief

Is it possible to purchase the numbing agent used at dentist and have a family member rip out my teeth for me? Is the dental service really that bad??

Appreciate any advice.

Edited by Anti-Moronic

try charles clifford in sheffield its free as its a teaching hospital if you have really bad tooth ache you will get a emergency appointment but please make shore that you leave your day free as there mght be a long wait.

I went when i got really bad tooth ache they took the tooth out that same day

Thanks! I will contact them.

I just contacted emergency nhs line again. Seems they're eager to have me pay £17 for another consultation, for a dentist to tell me what I already know: you need to register at a dentist. Yet, on their site:

Band 1 course of treatment – £17.00

Band 2 course of treatment – £47.00

"This covers everything listed in Band 1 above, plus any further treatment such as fillings, root canal work or if your dentist needs to take out one or more of your teeth."

So I'm really lost here. Do they or don't they offer emergency treatment? Dental nurse is apparently phoning me back, so I'll find out.

I don't mind paying. Hell, I'll sell belongings to pay for these teeth to be removed. I just want emergency treatment. I don't understand why you can't just pay a dentist to see you have pull your teeth on short notice. Are they that busy and scarce? Sorry, I'm venting. Just very frustrated, in myself mostly for letting it get to this.

Have you thought of going to A+E? I know it's only toothache but I know it can be unbearable and particularly dangerous where absesses are concerned.

I developed a heart infection which lead to open heart surgery due to neglecting my teeth in my younger years. (I had other related complications which led to the surgery and I'm sure you are at a very low risk of this).

What i'm getting at is the hospital will take this very seriously especially where absesses are concerned. Make sure you explain that this is a long term problem and not just a recent case of toothache.

Good luck