Smoking and Children

I see your name mirrors your IQ

Ha Ha!

I realised a long time ago that you need to ignore this antagonist!

---------- Post added 21-05-2013 at 07:22 ----------

Smoking will not extend your life expectancy. Nor will it add to the quality of your life.

If you like smoking, it will add to the quality of you're life.

You're quote could refer to religion in much the same way, in my eyes.

---------- Post added 21-05-2013 at 07:28 ----------

I don't want her near smoke and I don't want her smelling of it either! Why would I want my baby smelling of that, harmful or not?! Smoking is a lifestyle choice and my choice is not to smoke simple as so why should I let someone else do it near my baby

You have every right to not let your baby near people who have just been smoking.

But don't be so retarded as to not let anyone who smokes near her. Don't believe everything you read. There's NO proof that there is any danger caused to someone by smelling of smoke.

I mean, just think about it, for one minute! It's ridiculous and it's only promoted by scare mongering anti-smoking campaigners who will stop at nothing to persecute smokers.

I don't like your use of the word retarded thanks very much. I don't not let them near her, all I said is that I don't want them holding her so much that the smell of tobacco is on her clothes off them! It's disgusting and not right. I can make the choice, my baby can't. Why should she smell of smoke just because people can't keep their clothes clean!?

I don't want her near smoke and I don't want her smelling of it either! Why would I want my baby smelling of that, harmful or not?! Smoking is a lifestyle choice and my choice is not to smoke simple as so why should I let someone else do it near my baby

It's not pleasant is it. I was just saying it would be better to weigh things up overall. The benefits of having loving grandparents around would outweigh a bit of a pong every now and then wouldn't they? I'd never have seen my grandad if my parent's had objected to the honk of Golden Virginia :)

but presumably the grandparents would still be wearing smelly clothes even in a cafe?

Probably...but they're your Grandparents. They raised your parents smelling of smoke and they probably held you on numerous occasions smelling of smoke, so some things you just have to learn to live with.

I'm not a smoker but my entire family smoke. My Grandparents house smells of smoke and when I visit I know I'll leave smelling of smoke.

Does that mean I'd stop visiting? No, I visit regularly because I care about them deeply regardless of their personal habits.

Does that mean I'd refuse to let them hold their own Great-Grandchild? No, I would never dream of denying them that pleasure.

I haven't said they can't see her, just asked that they don't have her that close to them that the smell transfers from their clothes to hers. They aren't allowed to smell of smoke at work and have to put things on when going for a cigarette so if they can do it for work, why not their grandchild?

---------- Post added 21-05-2013 at 09:12 ----------

She would never go in their house because they smoke in there so it wouldn't happen and they know that, but they have always been welcome here. If they were that doting I'm sure grandparents would understand if you didn't go in their house where they smoke

Clik32 it sounds as though you've made your mind up any way but thought i'd say that when I had my Daughter 2 1/2 years ago my 77 year old Mother was a very heavy smoker - I hated it but I still went round to see my Mum and let her hold her Grandchild as I wanted my Daughter to see her Grandma. My Mum always smoked outside when we were there but the house still stank as did my Mum after her cigarette as did my Daughter after being held by my Mum.

My Mum knew how I felt about the smell - I did used to make jokey comments to her and try to keep it light hearted but she did get the message eventually and has now cut her smoking right down. The house doesn't smell any more as she always smokes outside now even when we aren't there and she only has one real ciggie in the morning (so she says) the rest of the time she uses an electric cig that I brought for her.

Sorry for rambling, I know you feel you shouldn't have to put up with the smell but it would be a shame to deny your little one seeing her Grandparent(s) just for the sake of a yucky smell.

x

There is plenty of time to smoke or drink with out doing it around kids, I didn't even smoke in front of my dog, the reason is! the dog didn't like it.:gag:

Thanks Kyla. W haven't stopped them seeing her! They chose not to come round. And you say that you'd rather them have a relationship, so why can't they come to our house to see her? Ours is smoke free. No one stopped them seeing her, just asked them to think about the smoke smell. Don't care what anyone says, a new born baby should not smell of smoke!!

I am in total agreement with you Clik32. I would not want my newborn smelling of stale smoke. Some people smoke so much the smell seem's to ouse out of them even if they are not smoking and haven't for a few hours.

We found out my OH's step dad was smoking weed when my DS was in the house with him. We went barmy. MIL tried saying it was ok because he "normally" went in the kitchen, so she would just keep DS in the living room until he had finished. That teamed with step FIL's constant unwanted parenting advise lead to a big fall out. We told MIL that she could come to our house anytime she wanted but DS would no longer be allowed to her house whilst ever the big useless oaf she was with kept smoking drugs when my son was in the house. That was March last year and as yet she has not been to see us. She thinks we are wrong. Smoking whilst pregnant and around children is something I really dont agree with. Smoking drugs in the same house as a child really boils my blood. Now he is older we dont have to worry about him smelling of other peoples smoke so much as they can't catch him for a cuddle but I get your point of view.. It's their loss at the end of the day. If they prefer smoking over their grandchild then leave them to it.

I haven't said they can't see her, just asked that they don't have her that close to them that the smell transfers from their clothes to hers. They aren't allowed to smell of smoke at work and have to put things on when going for a cigarette so if they can do it for work, why not their grandchild?

---------- Post added 21-05-2013 at 09:12 ----------

She would never go in their house because they smoke in there so it wouldn't happen and they know that, but they have always been welcome here. If they were that doting I'm sure grandparents would understand if you didn't go in their house where they smoke

I shouldn't think they feel welcome in your house at all. I'm sure they are doting grandparents but you're not letting them be.As for not going to their house, well that's awful. What should be one of the happiest times in their lives is probably becoming one of the saddest. Remember they won't be around for ever, then it's too late...............:shakes:

Both myself and my husband smoke. We have 2 grown up children both married with children of their own, that makes us the grandparents of 4 wonderful grandchildren. They are everything we live for now and if we'd been made to feel unwanted we would be heartbroken. Just think about it from their side.......... one day you might need them. :)

That's fatalistic nonsense, perpetuated by people who don't want to take responsibility for their actions.

Hi snaily gosh didn't you know smokers don't die they just kill the ones around them

Thanks Kyla. W haven't stopped them seeing her! They chose not to come round. And you say that you'd rather them have a relationship, so why can't they come to our house to see her? Ours is smoke free. No one stopped them seeing her, just asked them to think about the smoke smell. Don't care what anyone says, a new born baby should not smell of smoke!!

Ah - I thought you were objecting to them smelling of smoke when they come round to your house! Sorry about that - no wonder I thought you were being very sensitive!