Smoking and Children

So... I ask that you try not to smell of cigarette smoke near my new baby as when you held them I had to change their clothes. What do you do?

If I smell of smoke I don't hold the baby???

So... I ask that you try not to smell of cigarette smoke near my new baby as when you held them I had to change their clothes. What do you do?

Use it as an incentive to stop smoking..:)Dont let anyone hold the baby that smells of smoke.

So you don't refuse to come round and then tell everyone they don't let you see your grandchild? And also expect them to bring the child to your house because you "only smoke upstairs" because you won't walk 100 yards and pop on a clean top?

Sorry but you're not making sense at all, please explain. :huh:

Dont feel guilty about asking people not to smoke around your baby,or not to come smelling of cigarette smoke.You just want the best for her/him.Those that care will do it ,those that dont care can stay away..

A clean top will still smell of smoke if its kept in a smoking household where they probably smoke in the room in which it is kept.

I think I would educate, is it one of your parents or an in-law?

Get all the facts on how harmful it can be to a baby and statistics, plan what you want to say so you don't forget anything and see if you can get your point across that way. Try not to let it turn into squabbling and if it does just be the grown up and walk away don't even entertain the 'you won't let me hold the child so I'm going to tell everyone'

My point was about the clothes never been clean too, but nothing would have stopped them coming round to see her, even if it meant they didn't hold her. I just wanted to know if people thought I was been unreasonable for protecting my daughter from the effects of someone else's bad habit?

I usually have to change my clothes after holding a baby.

I've heard of "passive smoking" but never passive smelling of smoke syndrome, what harm will it do the child if someones clothes whiff, what about people that don't smoke but have never heard of deodorant do you stop them holding the rug rat, but its okay for you to pick up a baby in a brand new top and it barfs all down the front. I'm sorry but people are taking smoking now to new extremes of stupidity.

I've heard of "passive smoking" but never passive smelling of smoke syndrome, what harm will it do the child if someones clothes whiff, what about people that don't smoke but have never heard of deodorant do you stop them holding the rug rat, but its okay for you to pick up a baby in a brand new top and it barfs all down the front. I'm sorry but people are taking smoking now to new extremes of stupidity.

Toxins found in cigarettes can still be breathed from the clothing of a smoker and hour after a cigarette. It's not only passive smoking that harms children.

Toxins found in cigarettes can still be breathed from the clothing of a smoker and hour after a cigarette. It's not only passive smoking that harms children.

Give over you show me ANYWHERE it says that holding a child after smoking is bad for the child, as I say there are more toxins & such spewed out by cars & buses but you don't want them stopping.

God it'll be next speaking to someone who's had a fag is harmful, why cannot people take their petty prejudices out on others besides poor smokers.