Old train tracks and bridges left to rot.

I'm still relatively young, so some of you may know more about this than I do...

Before you get to the old Brightside train station (coming from town, that is), there is an old (and now unused) train track splitting off to the right, and immediately over a now unused bridge and behind some aging warehouse units, (some still in use).

Anyway, looking on google maps, you can clearly see where the track used to be. All the way from it's beginnings at the Colliery Road bridge, and behind Artisan Stone, between Meadowhall Way and the Meadowhall overflow car park, no longer crossing Sheffield road, (not sure what was at Sheffield road, if the road even existed when the track did... Anyway, you then see it cross another obviously unused rain bridge over another rain track and join another rail track from behind the Shepcote Trading Centre.

Anyway, not sure if I posted this in the correct area, just wanted to share my findings, I was interested in this from walking past the old Brightside station every day.

Further reading... I believed until recently that the Wicker line was completely gone, until I saw a train go across the wicker several months back, I thought I was dreaming.

Hope you all enjoyed my little adventure. I'm somewhat obsessed with lost buildings and things.

I'm also obsessed with lost bits of sheffield. There are two really good groups on facebook if you're on there - pictures of sheffield and sheffield history.

speaking of old stations does anyone know anything about one at ecclesfield. not sure of the road name but it's just behind green lane near where the crane yard is. theres no track now apart from where the line crossed the road, the rest is now a cycle track

Looking for and analysing the scars of former/planned rail and road networks is the bestest nerdy pastime ever.

Wicker line still used for taking coal(?) up to Stocksbridge? The other line you mentioned just connects up the line that comes off the Rother Valley.

Much of the urban fabric south of Sheffield shows signs of demolition work undertaken to accommodate never-built urban highways.

Go to pathetic motorways website for all the road-based information.

Looking for and analysing the scars of former/planned rail and road networks is the bestest nerdy pastime ever.

Wicker line still used for taking coal(?) up to Stocksbridge? The other line you mentioned just connects up the line that comes off the Rother Valley.

Much of the urban fabric south of Sheffield shows signs of demolition work undertaken to accommodate never-built urban highways.

Go to pathetic motorways website for all the road-based information.

it is truly amazing what you can see when you look. there is lots of stuff demolished, apparently vacant land, all of which is like that for a reason, whether its for a road that was never finished, railway, service station etc etc

I believe the wicker line just connects to Stockbridge steel works & it is still in use. I've seen many trains on there over the past few months but strangely only ever late on 9pm or 10pm

I always feel it looks a little "ghost train-iesh" as it passes over

Before you get to the old Brightside train station (coming from town, that is), there is an old (and now unused) train track splitting off to the right, and immediately over a now unused bridge and behind some aging warehouse units, (some still in use).

Anyway, looking on google maps, you can clearly see where the track used to be. All the way from it's beginnings at the Colliery Road bridge, and behind Artisan Stone, between Meadowhall Way and the Meadowhall overflow car park, no longer crossing Sheffield road, (not sure what was at Sheffield road, if the road even existed when the track did... Anyway, you then see it cross another obviously unused rain bridge over another rain track and join another rail track from behind the Shepcote Trading Centre.

Anyway, not sure if I posted this in the correct area, just wanted to share my findings, I was interested in this from walking past the old Brightside station every day.

This was the line that went straight to the old tinsley Marshalling yards, which were huge. There was a vast network of links from that as they connected all the steelworks.

Further reading... I believed until recently that the Wicker line was completely gone, until I saw a train go across the wicker several months back, I thought I was dreaming.

This is still in use to take steel to the Stocksbridge steelworks. there's usually a train each day about 6.20pm

It is rare to see a train over the Wicker Arches, but it makes people notice when one arrives!

Further movements of the class 20's, Wicker - 0967

I believe the wicker line just connects to Stockbridge steel works & it is still in use. I've seen many trains on there over the past few months but strangely only ever late on 9pm or 10pm

I always feel it looks a little "ghost train-iesh" as it passes over

So that's what the light going through the woods near Oughtibridge. I thought someone was playing a joke through there when I once saw it XD

speaking of old stations does anyone know anything about one at ecclesfield. not sure of the road name but it's just behind green lane near where the crane yard is. theres no track now apart from where the line crossed the road, the rest is now a cycle track

You don't mean Grange Lane by any chance?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grange_Lane_railway_station_(Sheffield)

In the east end of the city there are quite a few redundant freight railways that used to service industry in the area that is no longer there. There also of course used to be a freight train depot at Tinsley.

Stocksbridge is on the old Sheffield-Manchester via Woodhead line, which still exists between Nunnery Square and Stocksbridge for the daily freight train to/from the steel works.

There is a campaign to reopen this line to passenger services. You could have a train from Stocksbridge calling at rebuilt stations at Wadsley Bridge, Neepsend, Kelham Island and Wicker and terminating near the tram stop at either Nunnery Square or Woodbourn Road for interchange purposes. The journey from Stocksbridge to Wicker would be about 15 minutes, much quicker than the bus!