Advice please, my new puppy not eaten or drunk

Hi, can someone advise please. Our new 8 week old puppy came home today, he's been lively and sociable. Been to toilet for wee and poo twice, but won't eat or drink. I've got the same food he's used too and tried him with water all day but he's had nothing. I have him booked in Monday for check and vaccine but am worried about him dehydrating. Thanks xx

Shouldn't be away from it's mother till at least 10 weeks, 12 would be better.

Vet seemed ok about age when I checked, I am trying to be responsible owner.

Well lots of people will buy and sell them at that age but i wouldn't. If all else fails then you'd have to reunite it with mum for a feed.

You will need bitch milk substitute do not feed cows milk.

Will go get some in the morning he's just had a few lap of water, he really isn't underweight so the eating I'm less worried about.

---------- Post added 18-05-2013 at 21:21 ----------

I am so relieved he's eating his food, should have realised that as soon as I posted my worries he would eat lol.

Cows milk can cause all sorts of problems with puppies, sounds to me like the breeder has show a total lack of care.Go on line now and find out how to look after a very young puppy, i would consider contacting the rspca and reporting the breeder they are obviously incompetent in the extreme for allowing you to take a puppy when you don't know how to care for it.I would get some food for it now not in the morning poor mite will be starving.

maybe just the stress and newsnessof everything, Its a huge thing for a puppy to leave its mum.

I haven't given any cows milk, I've got everything organised and bought it all in advance. I've had a puppy before and have always had pets I simply posted for advice re drinking and eating as I was getting panicky. Thank you for your concern though and I will feed back to breeder and my vet.

---------- Post added 18-05-2013 at 21:33 ----------

He's just eaten a bowl of his food and sleeping in contentment, thanks probably was stress I expected that xx

Glad that he's eaten now, its a massive thing to be in a different home away from his family and all that he's ever known he will be a bit off it for a day or two, at 8 weeks they are usually very able to eat and drink independently, all will be well...I pity you tonight though :hihi:

Haha thanks moonbird all prepared for tonight and the next few nights lol, I bet by morning he's on he sofa and I'm in the crate lol

Haha thanks moonbird all prepared for tonight and the next few nights lol, I bet by morning he's on he sofa and I'm in the crate lol

Yes rocking and crying if my last puppy is anything to go by :hihi:

Don't forget the pics will you? :)