Cpu help thermal paste

ive just got a new cpu and just wonder do i need to have thermal paste on it aswell because on the bottom of the cpu heatsink is look like it got a bit on but im not really show its a bit tacky i mean sound a bit daft is just my 1st time with a new cpu thanks

if it is new then no u dont need to put anymore on just fit cpu as it is

if it is new then no u dont need to put anymore on just fit cpu as it is

thank you.........

You mean like this? - PICTURE

This should be fine for at least 6 months but then I would buy "Arctic Silver 5" and use that instead, it should give you a very good thermal conduct for at least another year or so.

Hope it helps...

P.S. Interesting :) I just had a call from someone asking me about this... 2 minutes ago.

yea its like that all so it was me :)

Dont use the stock paste that comes with the cpu.

Get a tube of Arctic silver 5

About 5 quid and its good stuff.

Agree use Arctic silver bin that rubbish thats on it lol.

Why do people immediately give advice that's inaccurate?

HannahDanny - I'm going to assume that as you're using the stock cooler that came with your CPU that you're not planning to overclock it anytime soon. If that's the case then the stock paste which was pre-applied will be perfectly adequate for your use and will last more than 6 months. There's no need to go out and mess about with an aftermarket variant.

If you do want to go for an aftermarket paste then ignore the Silver 5 and go for Artic Cooling's MX-4. It's much better than Silver 5. I saw a 2 degree difference n my w/c'd rig.

Edited by Resident

HannahDanny - I'm going to assume that as you're using the stock cooler that came with your CPU that you're not planning to overclock it anytime soon. If that's the case then the stock paste which was pre-applied will be perfectly adequate for your use and will last more than 6 months. There's no need to go out and mess about with an aftermarket variant.

no im not overclock any think as i do't no how to and thank you ill keep the paste what came with it for around 6 month then i put some new paste on thank you ever one and thanks Resident

If you do want to go for an aftermarket paste then ignore the Silver 5 and go for Artic Cooling's MX-4. It's much better than Silver 5. I saw a 2 degree difference n my w/c'd rig.

Thats funny.

Arctic silver 5 gives me a 3 degree drop on MX-4

Dont assume everyone gets the same results from the same paste.

Thats funny.

Arctic silver 5 gives me a 3 degree drop on MX-4

Dont assume everyone gets the same results from the same paste.

Ah, You're a timmy-topper. :roll:

Anyway MX-4 is the better choice for a novice as it's electrically non-capacitive so if they use a tad too much or accidentally get it on components where it shouldn't be it doesn't matter. Silver 5 IS electrically capacitive.

There are also other option better than Silver 5, IC Diamond & ThermalTake TG-1 for example.

I'll agree that Silver 5 USED to be the "gold standard" in TIM but it's long been surpassed.

Edited by Resident

I use the unbranded stuff from Maplin, about £3 for 2.5ml.

Never had a problem with it, though like Paul i do tend to renew mine every six months or so.